TKR My new knee

Hi Pegleg,
Welcome back,
Glad the neck surgery is helping, sorry to hear you need low back surgery. Check in the social room for threads about having back surgery.
Great report about your knee, glad you are doing so well after all you went though with the tissue expanders.
Good luck with your back,

I am finally up to sleeping, 6 hours, up for awhile and then 2 more hours. It is frustrating to know you need more sleep and be unable to get more.
You most likely need pain meds at night.

@pegleg
Always great to hear from you Andrew and get an update on everything.
So sorry you are having back issues; here's hoping you get 6 hours of sleep straight through the night soon!

Hi pegleg - I had a mini discetomy L4/L5 a few years ago. At that time L5/S1 looked dodgy but they let 'nature take it's course' assuming it would naturally fuse in the following years. There are some things I simply can't do now (can't dig with a shovel, have trouble bending over a little bit (meaning I am better at touching my toes than looking down at them) and standing in one spot for a long period (for instance ironing)). I'm fairly certain the arthritis in my left knee and the way I held my body to compensate contributed to the disc failure. I seem to have reached equilibrium now.

Now it looks like my lower back needs to to be done in L5, S1 and S/I
In my experience, lumbar fusions work better than cervical ones and they are easier to do as well because the bones are bigger. Problem is, while some of the pain you are experiencing is coming from the intervertebral spaces (disks) and facet joints, some of it might also be coming from the surrounding muscles and ligaments. So the answer to your question is that you might get a great result from the hard structure (bone) stuff yet still be left with some pain from the soft tissues. Another side effect though is that fixing the joints might also relieve the issues affecting the soft tissues as well. As is said on here so often and never more true than for spines, everyone's different!

Sorry to here more surgery is needed I also only sleep a few hours a night hope all goes well x

Sorry to hear you need more back surgery. I think the results sometimes are kind of mixed. My husband has had 3 lower back procedures. The one fusion worked fairly well. But the two surgeries where they just went in and cleaned things out have been less successful. I think it's pretty hard to predict an outcome.

Knee doing real well but I am not since the spinal surgery its been a hard recover for me still have not got my go back just want to seat and do nothing.

See the neurosurgeon in Jan and hope he will help with my back.

I'm glad to hear that your knee is doing well and I hope that you soon feel more improvement after your spinal operation.

@pegleg .... good to hear from you and to know your knee is still doing fine. Backs are another matter...can be rather tricky. I hope time gives you the relief you hoped for. Just remember, that sitting isn't the best for any body part. If you can do any movement or stretches for your back, that will be good. Are you in therapy at all?

Yes go to PT two times a week. I think most of the pain is down to the weather here in Canada and stiffness

I also have ben having RFA on my lumber but it does not last as long as it did the first time they did it that was 3 years ago and have been having the RFA when the pain starts again around the 6 month mark the first couple of times it lasted over a year.

Yes go to PT two times a week. I think most of the pain is down to the weather here in Canada and stiffness

Hi all,

The last few weeks I have been having shin pain in the leg that had the TKR. It tends to hurt more when I lift the weight off the leg.

Any ideas ????

Pegleg

Have you changed your exercise or activity in any way recently? I'll tag @Josephine so she can comment.

It's possible to get tendinitis in the muscles in the calf unrelated to the TKR as there are many there.
I suggest you pay a visit to a chiropractor and get him to apply some deep tissue massage.
Such pain is extremely discomforting and persistent. Hope it gets better for you soon.

Hi Josephine,
Its not in the calf but in the front where they tied the wire around when they split the bone. Its worse first thing in the morning but comes and goes through the day.

It's possible to get tendinitis in the muscles in the calf unrelated to the TKR as there are many there.
I suggest you pay a visit to a chiropractor and get him to apply some deep tissue massage.
Such pain is extremely discomforting and persistent. Hope it gets better for you soon.

I have shin pain also and found massage to help the most. It hits me when I lie down to go to sleep. I will get up and walk and massage and it usually subsides. Good luck

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom