THR 38 years young with a new hip

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj19mann

Country
United States United States
Well, I'm on the other side...yay!! I had my left hip replaced for severe (bone on bone) osteoarthritis. My surgery was the 19th at 8am. I was in recovery room by 10:30, my nurse told me I had been in there for about 20 minutes before I woke up...anesthesia is awesome!! I had a pain scale of 6-7 in recovery room. The nurse was great about getting me more meds quickly!

Prior to surgery I lived between a 4-8 pain scale just walking and standing. I made it up to my regular room around noon. I had no nausea so they started me on oral pain meds + Toradol IV once I got to my room. I had some ice chips and pudding and a short nap. PT was in to see me and teach me how to get out of bed following my precautions and how to use a walker (I had a "modified posterior approach"). I made one s.l.o.w. lap around the ortho unit and went back to bed. Pain walking was about a 4 that felt mostly muscular and my operative leg felt quite a bit longer than my good leg... so awkward. My glute muscle felt like a big cramp that wouldn't let up. I started icing as soon as I got back to room.

I made it to the bathroom 3 times with a nurse by my side and then they trusted me to do it alone. At that point I didn't have an IV bag and tubing so it was much simpler. Of course I had to go every 2-3hrs so I got lots of practice walking :heehee: By morning I really had no joint pain at all, I could pinpoint the discomfort to my stretched bruised muscles and the longer leg felt more even.

In the AM, after my surgeon made rounds, I had PT come and walk me around the unit again, teach me stairs and how to get into a tub/shower. Mid morning the unit had a group PT class to go over 10 simple PT exercises we are to do 3xday. Some of the folks in the class looked pitiful, one holding his puke bucket and one lady who looked several pints low on blood. :sad: I made 2 more circles around the unit and then it was discharge time. WOW!

I left the hospital just 30hrs after admission, WITH A NEW HIP...WITH NO PAIN!!! I just have some minor muscle soreness and I move slowly, but I am thrilled!! Hope it isn't a "honeymoon phase"! Anyway, why in the world did I wait to do this???

Many of us waited longer than we may have once we knew the outcome. Don't look back, just do what you know is best, elevate, ice and don't over do it.

Glad to hear your are doing GREAT! Congrats.

Hi @cj19mann! Welcome to the other side! Feels great doesn't it? :happydance:

This --> "WOW! I left the hospital just 30hrs after admission, WITH A NEW HIP...WITH NO PAIN!!! I just have some minor muscle soreness and I move slowly, but I am thrilled!! Hope it isn't a "honeymoon phase"! Anyway, why in the world did I wait to do this??"

I could not agree more with your statement. The whole process is amazing to me. Now it's time to build the nest (I got that word from @shrinkette. Perfect word!), rest and recuperate. :flwrysmile:

Great news...hope you have a great recovery ...seems like you've had just the best start!! Xx

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Woke up with some pain this AM because I had slept for 7hrs with no pain medicine. I figured I would wake in the night and I would medicate whenever that was... but apparently my body was super happy to be home in my bed. :) So, first in the agenda today is pain med and ice!
Thanks to those that have stopped by my recovery thread to encourage me... This forum is awesome!

Hello @cj19mann ! i am new to the group and wanted to say :hi: and congratulations on your new hip! look forward to hearing more of your recovery--for now--get rest and ice ice ice (see--i am learning!) :dancy:

Medicated and in an hour I felt up to my 10 PT moves - though I struggled with the straight leg raises, my muscles seem weaker today. I also got a shower, it is amazing how much better that makes one feel!! I walked around for about 10min on one crutch. I felt very steady. My husband is trying to find me a walking stick, my OS wants me to use that versus one crutch or cane. I am resting now and icing. :chillpill:

My glute muscle felt like a big cramp that wouldn't let up
I know it's not so bad now but to explain, this was actually incisional pain where the surgeon had made a pathway through to your hip joint.

my operative leg felt quite a bit longer than my good leg... so awkward. By morning .... the longer leg felt more even.
Strange that, isn't it? You got so used to your bad leg being shorter as you compensated by titled your pelvis to limp that you didn't even notice it any more. Then when it was corrected, you were immediately conscious that it now seemed longer when it was really evened up!

Another good day of recovery has passed. I even got to venture outside in our unusually warm weather today for a little sun therapy! I have a question, did anyone use a walking or trekking stick/pole in their progression of walking aids? My OS and PT at the hospital recommended this for me and I feel like I am ready for one. The walker seems cumbersome and more assistance than I need at this point ( day 5). I have been using one crutch x 3 days but I don't like the way it makes me lean over to use it. Opinions welcome...
Thanks!

Yes!!! I'll tag @Poppet to come chat with you. She's a great fan of the Nordic walking poles.

Congrats on the new hip. I never used a waking stick but used my cane. I know Poppet uses the walking stick and someone tagged her to give you some advice. Remeber to continue to rest. One of our curses is that we feel,so good because no bone on bone pain that we can overdue it. So happy you are doing great. Keep,up the walking. Best exercise.

Anyone else have sore heels??? I know it sounds like a pitiful complaint after major surgery but my sore heels are making it hard to find a comfortable position. :( I have been propping legs on pillows and leaving feet dangling off but am cautious about how long I do that due to risk of blood clots. I feel like I have been rotating between all of my "safe" positions. I guess if this is my worst complaint, I have got it made huh?? If anyone has any tips please send them my way...

My hospital gave me heel cushions. You have heel sores from sleeping on your back the best thing is to place a pillow under your calves or ankles to keep your heels off the bed. Don't worry about clotting. Just point your toes and flex your toes. Like your pressing on the gas pedal and back.

Congrats on your surgery! It sound like you're doing great. I also have had heel pain. I cut a piece of foam from an "egg crate" mattress ( although any thick foam would probably work) and put it under my lower legs. I also sometimes dangle my heels off the edge of the foam. I find that having someone massage my feet with a nice oil or cream (I like coconut oil, but after my dog likes to lick my feet!) can also help. Good luck!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!! I sure am thankful for an awesome recovery so far! Today is day 8 for me. My incision is ITCHING, I know that is a good sign for healing =) My glute muscle still aches/cramps, Biofreeze helps immensely with that. I overdid it some yesterday and my aching leg let me know it. I have been careful today to rest more. I am pretty much off narcotics now, just taking one at bedtime. My operative leg still feels longer...still making me limp a bit. Using one crutch, one walking pole and/or the walker. In the kitchen I "cruise" along the counter like a toddler :loll:I am able to lay on my stomach for periods of relief for my poor heels, yay!! I have a hair appointment next week...I am very tempted to drive...

Hi @cj19mann ! Came across your thread and wanted to say sounds like you're doing really well - just take it slow and you'll be fine. I'm 5 weeks post op and have really benefitted from following the advice of the guys on this forum. Not sure about the driving though - my insurance has a disclaimer about driving after medical procedures .... I'm still using a walking pole - I need the other hip replacing and it isn't happy if I overload it!

@cj19mann , for your heels try those blister bandaids. They come in several sizes and I found using the larger ones on my heels helped. You can also fold a towel and put it just at your ankles so you heels are slightly raised off the bed.
I have a hair appointment next week...I am very tempted to drive...
Please be very careful about this. If something would happen your insurance may refuse to pay out as you have not been officially released by your surgeon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Hip4life
    Staff member since January 6, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads