THR littlemac, recovery began Nov 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlemac

Country
United States United States
I checked in at 6:30am and was wheeled in to get my meds and epidural for 8:30 surgery.

I chose the faster epidural that wears off more quickly. Before I knew it I was awakening in the recovery area at around 9:45-10:00. Really quick compared to last time and much less grogginess. I got by on the diluided and 5mg Oxy-contin until I was up and walking at which point I took 10mg as a safety net. Seems to be working great.

I am elevating and icing a lot. Love the ice just as I did last time around. All is going well with crutches and an hour and a half drive home, broken up with a lunch stop after checking out at 11:00am. Walking hourly around the living room per OS instruction.

Smaller incision this trip by about an inch, seems to be no more than 5"s.

Not pushing it these first days but I will let my new hip direct me.

Great!!! It's good to hear that you're doing well. Even though you've been down this road before, I'm going to post our hip recovery articles for you so you can refresh yourself on what recovery can involve. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. And we'll look for the updates!!!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

You guys and your quick hospital stays are amazing !! Take it easy. The first week can be rough but it sounds like you're off to a great start!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Well done - on with recovery now :) - a bit more reading for your when you feel up to it.

Slow and steady and remembering that recovery from a joint replacement can be a marathon and not a sprint gives one permission to recover in one's own timeframe :)

The following is a link to an article which provides the current science regarding the healing beneath and around the implant and approximate timeframes for the healing phases and processes and the relevant nutritional information for each phase.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

Home already....amazing! Hope your 2nd recovery is just great....you know how to do it....slow & steady a la BoneSmart! X

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Thanks everyone. Spent the day mostly in the lounger elevated and icing. I walk around the living room once an hour or so for about 5 minutes and refresh my ice and water bottle.

Hoping to try out the cane a little tomorrow. I recall it was almost easier to use the cane than crutches. Just have to see how it goes. Not in any hurry.

Hi, @littlemac! Glad to hear you're home and doing well. My timeline for the OR, recovery, and discharge home was very nearly the same as yours! I keep telling everyone how much the pain in the joint has subsided. . .ice and elevation are helping the surgical pain. . .so thrilled how well I'm able to move about. . Terrific that we're both recovering well.

Friday, day three was a bit early for the cane. Hung out at home and a few friends dropped in. Elevating and ice regularly and more walking. Stopped Oxy Thursday night and only Aleve since then.

Friday afternoon had full bodily functions which is way earlier than my first hip. Stayed on Oxy 8 days on the first round. Feeling great.

Slept in this morning and decided to venture out for the Washington Husky football game at our local winery. Great lunch with friends there and only using one crutch. Really pleased with mobility after just four days.

Home now and elevating with ice and a nap sound like a good plan. Hope everyone is doing well in your recoveries.

Wow - you are really doing well @littlemac ! Hope you can get some much needed rest!

Wow, @littlemac! I can't imagine going out on day 4. . .you are doing great (& I think I am too!) It's good to hear how well it's going with the second go round for you. Gives me hope if I have to face that, also.
Glad you are managing well off the narcotics. I'm noticing a remarkable difference in pain from even 2 days ago, so I'm feeling optimistic that I'll be able to listen to my body and wean down before too long - or whenever. . .
Even though I opted for the posterior lateral approach, rather than driving to and from Seattle for your OS, I have almost no restrictions and feel like the incision pain is quite manageable. . .even sat up with friends last night to watch the Oregon State football game!

Thanks @Jaycey @hopefulm . Good to hear you are doing well. I'm a bit amazed at the lack of issues for me this trip.

I have been elevating and icing religiously when I am not out or up walking around the house. Used the cane some again but find one or both crutches is more comfortable so I won't push using the cane.

We went out for lunch and the second half of the Seahawk game today. Then back home for a 2 hour nap and elevation with ice. Looking forward to Thursday for my follow up visit and staple removal. The OS office is right by a Seattle institution, Dick's Hamburgers! Can't wait for a Deluxe with fries and a shake.

Keep up your recovery @hopefulm

On one crutch or the cane now. Tomorrow I am going to a two hour meeting that I had not felt I would make prior to surgery as it is two days before my post op visit for staple removal.

Today was spent in a lounger with leg elevated and icing. Walked hourly more than prior days, all went went well.

Really down to no meds today. I'll try making it tonight without Aleve, if I do I will figure I'm good without it moving forward. If I am awakened with any pain I'll take an Aleve and keep on truckin'

Well, it's been a busy few days. Off all pain meds now and activity lev is progressing slowly. Making it out for a two hour meeting yesterday. A bit tiring mostly due to the drive both ways.

Came home elevated and iced with a good two hour nap. Worked out great. Went to dinner last night and then back home to ice and elevate. Woke up this morning feeling great, walking with a cane but not using it much.

Hope everyone is doing well in your recovery. Next step staples out on Thursday!

Wow you are doing well @littlemac - so pleased to read you are balancing your activities with rest - very wise :)

Wow you are doing well @littlemac - so pleased to read you are balancing your activities with rest - very wise :)
@Poppet thank you.

Staples out today and X-ray looks great. Cleared to drive and work on no resistance stationary bike if I choose to. Feels great to have the staples out and the tugging gone. Got our first snow today so I'm only using whatever car is in the garage to avoid an ill advised slip in the snow. Eliminates the possibility of outside walks, but I wasn't into those last time so just moving around the house works well enough for the first couple of weeks for me.

Be well hipsters, "Life is Good"

Sunday I climbed in the tractor and blew out the driveway. All went well with little effort in order to operate the snowblower.

My knee on the operated leg has been giving me some trouble, more than I recall from my other knee when I had the right hip replacement. I know that it can be a side effect of the anterior approach with the HANA table.

Today is two weeks since the operation and I drove to the office. 20 stairs in and out, made several trips up and down without an issue. Still using a cane intermittently to help the knee. It has improved since Sunday, still a ways to go. It does respond well to icing.

My incision was closed much better than my right hip, nice straight and thin line from the stitches and staples. Still have several steri-strips hanging on, probably another few days. All in all a great start to week three.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone on this side of the pond. Be well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom