Arkansas Hip Revised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you are doing well @ARHip,
Keep up the good work. I applaud you for cutting off the pain meds. If you have to have them for pain, that's one thing---but if you get used to taking them "just because"---that can lead to problems. I quit taking mine as soon as the pain got down to a managable level, just for that very reason. I kept the remainder in my medicine cabinet in case I smack my thumb with a hammer. :)

Glad you are doing well and progressing nicely.
Also a good thing you noticed that article on noises, and read it.
It does sound like bullet 2 is what you have. Certainly that article provides
comfort in explaining the various occurrences of noise.
I'm glad you cited it; I had seen it but not read it. Now I can refer to it if needed.
Keep up the good work!

Five week Hip Revision report:

This is for those of you who are following recovery threads, and just curious to know what happens over time. I'm trying to think of things that are relevant and am trying to paint a picture of my "story." For those new, just follow this thread back to the beginning for my post-opp story. I have two other threads before Jan. 14 (surgery date) to answer your questions of how I got here. Just do a search of @ARHip and go to the beginning.

I suspect I have a rather normal recovery for someone my age, maybe a little on quick side. But I'm 52 and have been rather active. Not an athlete, but active. I'm thinking "normal" due to the fact that my short-term disability automatically chose to give me 8 weeks off (with extensions allowed). But then, my surgeon gave the outside time of three months.

I made the decision this week to return to work at 7 weeks, not 6, as I originally planned (10 years ago, I took 4 weeks off - hey, I am male, somewhat stubborn and I was only 42). Today, I just don't feel my hip is strong enough to return to work next week. This last week I walked 1mile 2x a day (about 20 min/mi) ever other day. This has helped the stability of my hip. Still on occasion I feel a little of the clunking feeling, but not nearly as much. I have my cane with me when walking, but not using it.

Why wait another week and the need for strength? I do a LOT of driving seeing patients in their homes. I am also in nursing homes and to communicate to patients I'm kneeling on the floor to be at their level. That is a lot of in and out the car and up and downs from the floor. My leg needs to be strong and hip secure.

Energy level is better, but if I have had a day of moving a lot, I'm really tired by sundown. I hope that the extra week will help.

Hip is sore, especially after walking, but I'm taking less and less OTC. Top pain level at 3, maybe a moment of 4 when I take a hard step or something. Usually just a slight ache when walking around house or sitting. Maybe a 2 while walking my mile. Last Hydrocodone was 9 days ago. At night I'm able to sleep on non-operated side with pillow between legs. I can role to operated side, but it is just not comfortable. I began driving again 4 days ago. No problems at all.

I began preaching again on Feb 9 at church. This is a part-time ministry, along side the full-time chaplaincy which I'll return to on March 3. (Morning and evening service on Sundays and Wednesday nights). Feb. 9 was really tough. Last Wednesday was good. This past Sunday was MUCH better. My mind was sharper and had much better delivery. Was tired by the end of the day, but not like the week before. I think the congregation noticed the difference. I certainly did.

I'll let you know next week what six weeks is like.

Great report!!! Can't wait to hear about you at 6 weeks!!! You're doing very well.

Awesome report @ARHip !
You are doing everything right.
Glad things are going so well for you.
:SUNsmile:

ARHip Six Week Post-Revision Report:

Well folks, in a week on Monday, I return to work. I think I'll be ready to hit the ground running, ... well ... actually something much slower then that. Most each day this past week, weather permitting, I have walked 1.5 miles, twice a day (20 min/mi - so I'm walking at quite a clip). This is an hour of walking a day. I am not using my cane any more. I'm still focusing on abduction/adduction exercises a couple times a day. At times I feel a slight clunk or two in my hip. It is almost gone, but still present enough to remind me to behave myself.

I have a slight limp, but this does not bother me at this point. I plan to stretch out the limp when I feel the hip muscles are mostly healed and rebuilt (in a month or two). The limp has to do with a pelvic tilt (it feels like one leg is shorter). Ten years ago (at 3 month follow-up from that first surgery), Dr advised a heel spacer in my shoe and to go to therapy. PT did deep massage that about broke me in half, and I did not like the heel spacer. I found on my own that I could straighten out the pelvic tilt by standing straight, putting my feet together, and bend/stretch at waist left and right (with arms stretched up). Within a week, I could put both feet flat on the floor, with feet together. Tilt gone.

I have not hiked any trails yet. I do not think my hip is ready for twists and turns on uneven ground. Maybe in a month I'll begin to try some easy trails in the area, then work my way up to greater challenges.

Energy level? In the evening I'm tired, but I either close my eyes and take 15, or I just keep going. It is really not much a problem. Next week may be a different story when I am working.

I'll hop back to this thread on occasion to let you know how things are healing, but I think this is the last of my weekly reports. BoneSmart is a great place to be, so I'll still be around following and commenting at times.

Happy Healing!

@ARHip I am so glad you are doing well in your recovery.
I am glad that I have been able to know you.
Thank you for your encouragement thread, I do enjoy that. I hope you continue it....
My surgery is in April. Don't have a date yet, but sure would appreciate it if you would pray for me.
Stay in touch. All the best for your continued great recovery!

ARHip 8 Week PostRevision Report:

Things going real well working and driving all over creation. I did not "hit the ground running" last week. The sleet storm kept me home till Wednesday. Told management I was not going to ruin a month of healing because of a slip on ice. They all agreed.

In my work I find going up steps does cause some pain/discomfort, but walking is fine. Still trying to walk 1.5 miles in neighborhood when I can (Saturday about does it for my schedule). With all my walking, I have trained myself to not limp; yet at times I catch myself limping. When I recognize it, I can easily straighten out my stride. After time in the car, incision and some tissue is tender. I tried yesterday with no Naproxen. This morning , I took some. It was just too much soreness by the end of the day. To be comfortable, I still need some OTC meds to get through the day.

Energy drain is not significant this week. Just normal tiredness for a 52 year old after a long, busy day.

You are doing great @ARHip !
Wise decision on the weather, and not walking on sleet/ice.
Glad your walking is going well, and you have taught yourself how to negate the limp. Good job!
I hope you don't stress over using Naproxen. It's okay....
Onward and upward.
:flwrysmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member