Revision THR 6 Weeks post-Op with Locking Ring due to Dislocation

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll never tire of hearing from you, hon.....we're family now.

Precious, Family. Never had one like that! What a Blessing, really....

For the benefit of others, this is what I said to Laura in email
Josephine said:
Like I already said in your thread, it won’t be complicated. Just a fairly routine revision.
The two pieces of the ring should be fairly easy to lift out.
Only potential issue is if the broken ring obstructs dislocation of the joint but they don’t usually.
Once that’s out, everything else is normal.
And the screw is a standard requirement in the design of that particular device.
It doesn’t imply any issues on your side.
LPLaura said:
What does it mean: 'broken ring obstructs dislocation of the joint' ? What then?
I wonder if Surgeon can go in the Front of my Leg?
Josephine said:
Well, just imagine you are trying to open a drawer but the runner is broken inside.
The broken runner can prevent you from opening it, yes?
So one of the part of the broken ring might cause a similar problem.
I’m not saying it will, just that it could. But the surgeon should be able to tease it out with instruments.
It won’t cause any problems to you or to your ultimate recovery, but it might add time to the procedure. Probably 20-30 minutes from previous experience.

He will probably need to make a decent sized incision so it’s unlikely he will do an anterior. The principle problem with the anterior approach is lack of access, exposure and visualisation.
On the other hand, as a rule, they generally try to go through the previous incision(s) to avoid laying down lots of scarring (NOT scar tissues/adhesions!) in the hip.
LPLaura said:
My big question, I wonder if the Recovery experience is going to be as Brutal as the THR?
Josephine said:
I can’t see why it should be. But it really depends on what he actually does.
So far as I can see it should be a perfectly routine revision and he should only need to change the cup.
Unless he is using a totally different device in which case he might need to change the stem as well.
Either way, shouldn’t be any new mountains for you to climb!

Thank you for Posting this really thorough breakdown for me. It has eased my mind considerably. Although, I am now operating with a good bit of pain. Taking 50 mg Tramadol 3x daily, 1000mg Tylenol 2-3x daily.
My lower back and glute on Right side is also sore. Down the Right thigh muscle.
I'm a little of a wreck.

Guess it's good I'm gonna be Disabled and get Wheelchair assistance on Flights.
My days of not asking for help are DONE.
No fever or anything weird going on with me. Just very uncomfortable, now.
No Gym, a little pool time here. I tried recumbent bike, but still felt joint agitated afterwards.
No point in pushing it, really.

Time to head on home. Lots of good happened here. Some bad but mostly good service. Would have liked to left without this hanging over my head. But do any of us plan on our situations?
Time to start working on immune system and healthy diet prior to going into Surgery. Will read Poppet's nutrition again about Pre-op/Post-op.
and hey! I have a Nurse Practitioner friend who is taking me in after Surgery.
I ain't alone!!!!!!!!

Love to you all, Laura

Safe trip my good friend xx

Sounds like you're going to get some great after care!!! Take things as easy as possible on your trip home!

Taking 50 mg Tramadol 3x daily, 1000mg Tylenol 2-3x daily.
That's not a lot. Tramadol has a very short life in our system, only 4-5 hours. So take it 4hrly and occasionally take two if the need arises. Same for Tylenol - has a life of 5-6 hrs so take it 4 times a day for best effect. I did this little chart for someone else. You might find it helpful as a bit of a guideline

Tramdol regimen.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
You will soon be on your way dear friend - safe trip!

Your BoneSmart family will be here waiting for you xx

Thank you Jo and Poppet. Thanks Jo for the chart. When I get home this weekend I can get script filled for more Tramadol.

Leaving in the morning. I have wheelchair assistance. 3 leg flight and 12 hour overnight Tokyo to States. That one is hard. I can do this. I will walk with Cane
I have 150 mg of Tramadol and Tylenol with me.
Hopefully that will help.
And a small amount of benzo, as I am quite anxious. Will cut the edge off of worrying about it.
I can do this.
Thank you BoneSmart family:)

Catch up with you when you are state side @LPLaura - hopefully you will be able to sleep on the flight xx

Hi All,
I am back home in the 'States'...
It is 7 degrees and Snow/Ice. Quite a shift in Weather, from tropics!
Oddly, my pain level has dropped way down?
I see new Ortho Surgeon on Feb 6th. Soon!
Will see what the Revision is going to require. Fingers crossed and Prayers each day.

@YmaSumac ... Wow. What a roller Coaster for you. And I thought mine was bad!
My Dislocations were at (2) Weeks Post-Op. 2x, within 48 hours of one another.
A Locking Ring was installed as last resort.
Now, the part Inside of the Ring, has broken. My hip has become Misaligned. (Right).

Your femoral head replacement resonates with me. Wow. What you have been through! Thank goodness they worked with you financially. It does become disabling when we can't get up, can't go to work.
I just got Health Insurance online. Thank God they cover pre-Existing, now.
Not before, which was a BIG problem for me.
All of us "mature" workforce in the states over 50...Big healthcare problem.

Anyway, no Burning or pain into Abdominal area for me, after dislocation.
I was pretty much medicated heavily, as it happened so close together, 2x. In and out of hospital 4 times during a 10-day period. Bad time. I don't like to recall.

Now, I look forward to getting it Fixed. I'm feeling pretty Positive. Usually I'm a bit on the 'Downer' side, personality-wise, so this is a GOOD THING! :yay:

Poppet, Jo, Jamie have always been here for me/Us. It is a Gift and a Blessing.
I LOVE YOU ALL. Seriously. What a wonderful Service. I reached out while working overseas. It got me through, got me back on the plane, got me home with HOPE.
I have HOPE today.
Altho this is going to mess with my workload quite a bit, I have lots of Faith.
And I don't know why:)!! haha.
I just do! That's pretty much COOL.

Love to you All, will keep you Updated.
Hugs and Peace and Prayers,
Laura P.

Feb 2, 2014, Sunday in the U.S.A.

Hello BoneSmart...I am officially Home, now. 7 Days.
I see the new Ortho Surgeon this coming Thursday, 2/6.

I'm nervous, of course.
I have lots of Faith. I am in a good bit of discomfort.
I hope to get a calm, clear picture of what to do, next step.

Thank you all for being here!
Laura

All the best with your appointment tomorrow!
Let us know how you are doing.

Have you seen these?

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Wow, wow and wow is all I can say after reading your thread. I hope you get what you need from your appt. - what a long haul for you. Several times in your thread you talked about looking forward. I, too, had a crummy job on my surgery and just had a revision in December (1½ yrs later) Not to say my experience is the same as yours, but the anger and frustration and crying part is something I had to go through also. Then, like you, had to come around to looking forward which it seems you are doing. I just know the right surgeon will be able to help you. Even though it is weird to say, it is like car parts these days and the right mechanic can do wonders and our bodies are amazing healing machines. Good luck and I am anxious to hear how things go at your appt.
Cathy

:yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

:angel:

Okay GOOD NEWS for a Change!
This is SO crazy...

Jo, your "Have you seen these" are Right on Time...
Thank You!

Both Surgeons, Original and New OS, confirmed that my X-ray is AOK! NO broken Parts. No Back arthritis, per new Back X-rays....
Locking Ring is AOK!

WOW, so what does this mean?
Well, I guess it means I have accepted a Job at Home, in the Office :)

I have no Clue about this Roller Coaster Ride. But I do know this now...
Get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th opinion if Necessary.
And, when Overseas, well....What can I say?

I got a prescription for Mobex (sp?) and an Order for PT, to strengthen Back and Hips.
I will go see my favorite Accupuncture doctor, tomorrow.
I found him, right before I left out this past August.

I guess I have some bad Arthritis challenges. So now, I need a good Workout program to tailor my earthly Body situation!

THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING THERE.

Laura P.
ATL, GA back in the USA
:bicycle1:

Laura, @LPLaura - what wonderful news, I am so, so happy for you - your news has made my day...

Time to settle in now and get in touch with home and all that means... I truly cannot wipe the smile off my face!

What an unbelievable ending this "that part" of your journey. Hooray for you!!

Amazing! Must say I've never actually heard of a ring breaking though it is possible in theory.
I'm delighted for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member