Finally getting THR :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deesis_1

Hi all. I'm booked for a THR Nov 8th. I was wondering if any of you who've had a THR also have one leg shorter than the other and if so, did the surgery correct the difference? Also, did u still walk with a limp, did your foot still turn out, could you put your socks on, tie your shoes, or was everything fixed, so to speak. I'm nervous that I'm still going to be uneven after my surgery.

Hi, this is J.R. from Delaware. currently I'm 3 weeks post op on right THR. I'm 50 and now down to walking with a cane and 75% weight bearing. My pain level is pretty minimal and mostly about the incision. Nothing that can't be handled with a couple of extra strength Tylenol. My right leg is about 1/4 inch or so longer than my left as this is a modification my ortho doc does to help prevent future dislocation. My right foot now pretty much points straight ahead instead of out severely. Best thing is when I have put my full weight on the leg and walked-------no limp and no pain!!!! No worries, it gets better quick after the surgery!! Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery!!!

P.S. I still need to use an aid for putting on socks, but am getting some more flexability back and can almost tie my shoes, but still cheat and slip one on tied with the aid of a long shoehorn. I'm told it all gets better in time!

Thx Panamfe :) You're young for a THR too (I'm 37) :) I hope that I have no limp or pain post-op too ! Thx again ! Best of luck!

Mine THR was the aftermath of injuries sustained in Iraq in June of 2002, so yea I'm to young for this. I'm a flight engineer in the Air Force on the C-5 Galaxy cargo plane and we did a very aggressive maneuver to avoid a surface to air missile and I was negative G'd off of the cargo compartment floor and ended up butt planted in a position that exotic dancers and cheerleaders can only do! I ended up dislocating my hip and tore groin muscles so when everything got put back into place I had a couple of cartlidge fractures in my hip socket and the alignment was all off so my arthritis was Injury Related Degenerative Arthritis! So there you have it. Obviously not your everyday condition!!

Wow ! Hard way to end up with a THR. My story isn't as interesting lol : I was born with hip dysplasia that wasn't detected as a child. I had reconstructive surgery 15 years ago that was predicted to last only 10 years. In the last few months I have quickly deteriorated and it was discovered that one of the screws in my hip has fractured. My former surgeon has agreed to see me and has booked the THR.

I need to have both hips done. I am 51. Looking at a 11/28 date for bi-lateral THR. Anyone have an idea how long the recovery will be before going back to work....and more importantly, being able to play baseball with my son again? I am planning on aggressive in-patient PT for up to 2 weeks in a rehab facility as I want to get back on my feet ASAP and the home support is not that good. Anyone have any experience with bi-lateral recovery from a MIS posterior incision?

Regarding recovery from simultanteous bilateral THR, everyone is different, but here is my experience:

I was 53 yrs old, very athletic and fit right up to surgery. I had MIS posterior also. I have Stryker titanium/poly. Fantastic surgeon. Great home support, so I had it all in my favor.

The surgery itself was a little more complicated than anticipated, hips were worse than they looked on MRI but I made it thru with both sides done in about 4.5 hrs. I had a spinal so was very aware of what was going on.

My recovery was extremely fast, I was home in 2 days and forgetting to use my crutches within 4 days. Within 2 weeks I was starting back to work in my dog boarding/grooming business. Within a month I was starting to hike the Long Trail, lifting weights, easy bike riding, etc. Within 6 months I was back to any and all activities I wanted including kayaking, downhill +x/c skiing, horseback riding (including jumping), some jogging, mountainbiking, rollerblading, whatever. After 1 yr (last May) my xrays looked so good my wonderful OS lifted all restrictions and said "Go for it". I absolutly love my new hips (and my OS)!

It sounds like you are pretty fit and willing to work hard at your rehab. That will help more than you can imagine. If I can give you any advice, start right now with strength training to get as strong and lean as you possible can. I am sure that made a huge difference in my recovery.

Baseball-I love it. I have 2 sons that played all thru college, in fact the middle son went to a D1 school on a BB scholarship and had a great ride, graduated with an engineering degree and was recruited right into a great job. I coached BB up to the high school level and loved every minute of it. However, playing baseball, at least competetivly, will probably be pretty tough. I doubt you will find a surgeon that would be happy about it. If you are coaching, it probably will be fine very quickly, certainly by next spring. But do not count on being able to sprint often, turn/pivot fast often, slide, turn double plays, etc without putting lots of wear/tear on your hips as well as possibley damaging them or dislocating. However, the stronger your muscles, tendons, ligaments are, the better your hips will work and be protected. I am able to safely do more activities than the average THR because of my strength and my surgeon is very comfortable with a long hip life even with my high activity level. Only time will tell how you make out, but most likely you are gonna love your new hips too! Have fun with the baseball!!

Andrea

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back