TKR kneeper's done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kneeper.long time..
I dont get notifications like I used too via email.
Im sorry to hear knee one stil this far out giving u probs...
HOping with enough time and patience..issue will resolve with or witout ntervention.
PReferably without.
Hope this summer knee 2 behaves better..
Once finally approved..
Goin gangbusters and demand btkr.
Do not wanr to go thru 2 recoveries.
Or even a week apart I will settle for.
If I didnt have a torn meniscus before, I likey do now
Everyday I pad my self sheen with every brace known to man kind.
Mare for no reason rared and Kicked my left knee, the golfball size spurs jutting off the outside latetal side after mare kicked kicked me with her 1500 lb self..if I didnt no anybetter the spurs acrually lok like they are jutting out even more than beforeshe kicked with all her might on the inside lateral which appears to me to have what looks like the force of her kick actually shoved what ever the hell going on in poor knee.even farther to the outside portion of knee than it was previosly..
If thats possible.
These horses..correction..that horse will b the death of me.
I was in too much shock to b to pained by it..
Did the protocol... rice..
So already deformed knee looks totally horreldou
Won't wear shorts..too cold now anyway.
And cuz stupid pave maker for bladder which dont work..prevents mris, so will mever know true damahe til os gets in there.
But u can see its profoundly deformed.
Ok sorry t o rant in your thread will try to dig up mine which im sure is licked by now.
Been so busy...
Still typing on a tiny phone ..so please excuse the typos.can barely see what im typing.
Sorry kneeper..I real didn't realize knee one was still giving u problems.
Good luck with both...

Thanks for posting, @sheryl7 . Knee #1 is usually pretty good, but I have to wonder if I have some quad tendonitis that flares up. Sorry to hear about you getting kicked by your horse.:yikes:

I was sorting some paperwork and noticed that the radiologist on my xray report from 1 1/2 years ago characterized the left knee as worse than the latest radiologist did. The first one said severe and the other said "moderate to severe." I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. @Josephine To this beholder it sure feels severe. :)

Hi kneeper..yes the severity of the knee is on the v eye of the beholder.
Most importantly your eyes..since your the one bearing the brunt of the pain.
Thing is its not my horse..
There are 8 horses of the and 6 dogs 4 of which are pitts. 2 of them animal aggressive and must be separated.
To earn my keep for now I.am basically forced to work way beyond anything I am capable of.
Its been a long and tiring 7 months here.
I love all the dogs.
Even the.2 turtles..one is a land turtle..the othet a water turtle.
They are pretty cool.
I have bonded with about three of the horses.
The rest im terrified of.
We had a rescued kitten we raised and bottle fed from 3 weeks old.
She has been placedand has a furever home now.
Sad cuz she was living in.the bathroom...
Not a life for a kitty cat.
The 2 gentlest dogs brother and sister combo of pretty grey Pitts adored her abd licked her to death.
The other 4 too animal aggressive.
Anyway that is going ons for now..
You take care of those knees..hang in there.

Kneeper, I wish you lots of luck with the OS. I have auto immune issues too and fatigue is a constant factor in my life as well. Today I had a class of people who never exercise, but thought that learning to ski would be a snap!! I think they thought the skis were equipped with jet packs!! I don't know about them---but I am tired!!!

I'm wondering what the medical thinking is on tkr vs taking large amounts of acetaminophen is. I take the max dose every day to keep my pain under control. (The unoperated knee and other arthritis pain). (Also ice, heat etc as needed).
I'm thinking it's got to be a good thing to take fewer meds if you can. Now I'm all in favor of meds when needed (ex. my RA drugs) but you don't want to take more than you have to. For example, I took prescribed NSAIDs for years and they helped the RA pain more than the tylenol currently does==all was fine...until the ulcer.

any studies or thoughts on this? @Orthodoc @Josephine

The recommended maximum doses of acetaminophen have no negative effects on the human body though long term use - say a year or more - should go in concert with regular liver and kidney checks. Just to be on the safe side. However, with NSAIDs it's a different thing altogether. Read here (just to save me typing it all out again!) NSAIDs, acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) differences and dangers.

Hi @kneeper - sorry to hear that your other knee is causing so many problems and hoping that you get some answers from the OS soon

I also have fibro so perhaps it is a factor in giving slower recoveries and the residual achiness :sigh:

Agreed. The issue with tylenol is because of problems with the liver. The max dose has traditionally been 4g daily, but the makers of Tylenol lowered that to 3g daily just to be safe. If you stay within 3g daily, the potential side effects are very small.

Orthdoc

The recommended dosage in the USA was lowered to 3000mg in 2012. Documents indicate it was done because acetaminophen is included in so many over the counter drugs that Americans routinely use (cold medications, sinus products, pain relievers) and the thought was that people might not read the labels and add up the level of acetaminophen they were taking. Here is another article that describes the action taken.

So, you will see us state the original 4000mg maximum dosage in a 24-hour period here on BoneSmart. But we are always careful to tell people they MUST consider ALL sources of acetaminophen in determining how much to take.

Orthodoc is right that if a person stays at the 3,000mg level there should not be a problem.

Yes, I stay in the 3,000 limit and do get regular blood work. Thanks.

Well, good(?) news. I had my long-awaited OS appointment and he says it's time to do the left knee. He went over the xrays with me and showed me why I'm having the issues I am. Among other things I have some alignment problems from the RA. There's definitely a sense of relief knowing there's a plan of action.
So it's June for me to be "Grindy no more!"

I'm wondering if I might have some chronic tendonitis in my quad in the operated leg. I say chronic b/c I've had this going back since my tkr. I feel some pain just above the knee when I do things like get out of low chairs or try to squat. I'm wondering if this is something I should ask my GP about--maybe there are exercises or PT I should do? I'm not super active but I do walk on the treadmill about 15 minutes 2x/week and about a half hour on a seated stepper on those days too. (my left knee prevents me from doing much more) Anyway, I'd like to make sure my right leg is in good shape before my left TKR and would love to hear some suggestions. @Orthodoc

Hiya Kneeper! No clue on the tendonitis thing, but congratulations (?) on getting a long awaited answer on doing your left knee! You've got plenty of time to prepare and get ready for June!

(I'm sorry it took me so long to see your post from the 10th :-()

Kneeper,

Yes, I do recommend a simple home exercise program prior to knee replacement to strengthen the quads and hamstrings. This level of exercise will be individualized depending on how much the arthritis limits the patient. I believe there is a link to a home program somewhere here in BoneSmart.

Orthodoc

Well, I finally broke down and went to my GP about what I figured is chronic quad tendonitis. He examined the leg and pretty much confirmed my self diagnosis. Basically I'm to avoid aggravating it and medicate as necessary. I've gone two weeks without exercising and it does feel better. I'm going to ease in this next week and see how it goes.
The knee itself feels fine and the xrays are good.

My belief, based on what I've learned on Bonesmart, is that my PT was probably too aggressive too early (for my situation) and I developed tendonitis that never went away. And from my reading, people with RA are more susceptible to tendon and ligament issues too. I figure when you have limited ROM pre-op, have tight hamstrings & quads (and weak quads) pre-op, stretching and strengthening need to go gradually.

I'm hoping to avoid this problem in the next knee listening to my body even more and by working on the the leg with stretching and strengthening pre-op.

Glad you went to the doctor Kneeper. Sorry that your diagnosis was correct, but glad that you're taking steps to improve it so it goes away and you're right; every 'whoopsie' that we make is a learning experience for next time!

I hope your tendonitis goes away soon! ((hugs))

Thanks. We can definitely learn from our own experiences and each other's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member