THR Recovery post op 21st Nov.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're definitely ready to do squats. If you already are doing that, try to get as low as you can without alllowing your knees to pop forward. Then, keeping your feet at least shoulder-width apart, try varying the width of your stance in the squat to target different muscles.

Spid Sounds like you are doing very well at the 4 month mark. I can't tell you how encouraging it is to read such good reports at 10 days post surgery.

Kim22 definitely a bright shining light at the end of the tunnel. There can be some depressing times at the start but its all worth it in the end. Just wish we could have some brighter weather in the UK to enjoy the new 'toy'.

Glad you are doing well Spid, I too am working on strenthing my muscles and can not lift up witout using the arms, except on small stairs. Now that my other hip is healed enough to do squate I have been doing them as well as balance on one leg. My hip I just had done though doesn't always let me do the squats. It is a slow process, but sure is better than where we were

So...good news/bad news.

Had my one year check up last week. Left hip looks great on x-rays (and feels great when I'm walking, etc), right one not so good. Started feeling a little pain in it one month ago and it has gradually got worse. I was looking for a quick fix and asked the consultant if we could get it done and he said I should wait really as it doesn't look THAT bad and advised me to start on 4x2 paracetamols a day, etc.

At the moment I'm taking 2 ibrupofen and 2 paracetamol in the morning and 2 ibrupofen at night. My question to Josephine is that I don't notice much relief from 2 paracetamol in the day. If I take 4x2 spaced out will that make a difference? Sorry, I'm just a tad concerned now, kind of back to square 1 with how things are exactly a year on.

Of course it will! Paracetamol is only effective for 4-5 hours so by taking them once a day you get pain relief for 4 hours or so and then nothing! Take it every six hours and you will notice the difference.

I'll also leave you with my score chart to fill in. This will give you a jolly good idea of how much this hip is impacting your quality of life. Your surgeon should judge based on that, not just the xrays, Tut tut!

Attachments

• A_Score_chart_-_how_bad_is_my_arthritic_hip-knee__v3.pdf
    104.6 KB · Views: 196
Thanks for the quick reply.

Haven't had it impact me tooo much yet. I'm hoping if I get on the cocktail of drugs (diclofenac 2x a day and tramadol 2x day) I was on before my last op I won't even notice it. I'm just hesitant to start on them because I know once I'm on it the effectiveness of them will slowly come down?

Spid I am sorry to hear that your right hip is giving you pain now when the other one is fully recovered.I am almost in the same boat as its 8 months since I had a new right hip and now the left one in painful but I am having soft tissue problems with the right side which I had recovered from but it returned when the pain started on the other side.I am seeing my OS in one month and I suppose it will depend on how it looks on X-ray as to what he suggests.I know from experience that X-rays don't always show the true picture. Have you got another appointment with your OS ? I would definitely try the 2 paracetamols 4 times a day as suggested as taken like that it can be quite effective and it is less toxic than anti inflammatories.

Kim22 What do you mean by soft tissue issues? Don't think I have any issues with the operated hip except for maybe when I try and balance on one leg on the odd occasion.

No appointment with the OS. He said I need another referral for that as my original issue was the left hip which is now solved. I'm not in any rush and can easily get a referral so it's ok. I am seeing the rheumatology consultant who I see every 6 months next month though.

Hi the Spid

Check out these articles... knowledge is power :)

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes (and relevant nutritional information) for you to read.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

Cheers, Poppet.

Disclaimer: The information on dietary factors, foods, and beverages contained in these articles does not cover all possible uses, actions, precautions, side effects, and interactions. It is not intended as medical advice for individual problems. Liability for individual actions or omissions based upon the contents of this article is expressly disclaimed. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.

Hi Spid I am glad that you don't have any problems with the operated side and that you see a rheumatologist on a regular basis who can give you advice as you need it.My soft tissue problems consist of soreness in the groin/ quads area which makes climbing upstairs very uncomfortable.I am ok coming downstairs and walking on the level but not on inclines so my dream of returning to long hikes has been put on hold for now.I must add that I am very grateful to be rid of the Preop pain and being able to walk almost pain free without having to search out a seat to sit on every five minutes.

Kim22 Was everything ok on your most recent x-rays? What did the OS say or have you not seen him since the pain started?

So I saw the rheumatologist a month a few weeks ago and told him about the right (non-operated) hip pain. He suggested some blood tests to check my inflammation levels. Had those done and I've received a letter saying they are slightly high so I'm going to have a bone scan soon.

I've googled it a bit and seen some threads about it on here but what I don't understand is what the end result will be if they see bone loss in areas? It's actually got me a little worried.

Can you shed any light on how they may proceed after they see the results @Josephine

Last edited by a moderator:
I am almost a year out and also still have had soft tissue issue, IT band and trochanteric
bursitis. The pain from these issues and a disc issues discovered post surgery have been rough. It is something they don't tell you about. I had myofascial release by my Pt and it helped so much with my anterior thigh pain. I still feel I need to see a chiropractor
to help me feel more in alignment. I was told by someone who had similar experiences that she did not really feel like herself until about 18 months,

I can answer that when you know what the results are, Spid.

Hi there @Spid, when do you get your results? Do let us know :)

@Poppet Hi :) I've not got an appointment yet so it'll probably be a while but I'll be sure to report back straight away.

We will be keen to hear :)

So I had the bone scan at the end of Jan. Got a letter from the consultant saying he could see sign of damage (? was not his exact wording but along those lines) so he'll bring me in for an appointment soon.

I've been having neck pain for a while now. Like it feels stiff turning left/right/up/down. No pain in the arms or weakness there or anything like that. Any ideas what this could be? Arthritis? @Josephine

Tell me the exact term he used as it could mean something different than you think.

I've been having neck pain for a while now. Like it feels stiff turning left/right/up/down. No pain in the arms or weakness there or anything like that. Any ideas what this could be? Arthritis?
Oh gosh - there are about a trillion things can cause neck pain! why don't you see a chiropractor? My chap has kept my neck and upper back (and the rest of me for that matter!) in good order for about 14 years now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
loo_who_too
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom