Handling Stairs and Bathtubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgejp

I am trying to find out how much a problem it is to climb or go down stair after a THR (left hip). Is it doable by the second or third day? I've heard of people walking around the block after the third day.
How about getting in and out of the bath tub? Can you just bend the left knee to a 90 degree angle, swerve it over the side of the tub, put it back down on the inside of the tub, put your weight on it, and then do the same with the right leg. This is ***uming you have some good grips you can hold onto with your hands.
I would appreciate any information, experiences, or tips someone could share with me on these subjects.

I am a 40 year old and 4 weeks post surgery. I had a right THR, and I stayed in the hospital for 3 days, where they didn't allow me to shower. After I got home, however, I took the advice of a friend and used my walker for support right up against the edge of the tub, lifted my right leg from the knee only, leaned into the tub, then used my bad leg to support myself (still holding on to the walker with my left hand) then did the same with my good leg. You need to take your time, but it works just fine. You should have enough stability on both legs to take a short shower. I didn't find that I needed a shower chair; however, some might find that useful. As far as stairs are concerned. Always go up with the bad leg one stair at the time. When going down, use the bad leg to go first. They will teach you all these things before you come home from the hospital. If you have a two story house, I would plan to stay on the main floor for the first week until you gain more strength. Good luck!

I went up my staircase the day I came home from surgery, with just a little ***istance from my son-in-law. I had one practice session at the hospital before going home. You will step UP with your good leg, step DOWN with the bad. By the second week home I was going up the stairs using both legs. Good luck. Terri

I was wrong in my earlier reply regarding stairs... Terri was absolutely right! UP with your good leg and DOWN with your bad leg. I should have reviewed my response before posting! Sorry!

I am almopst 3 weeks post MIV THR..The horrific pain is gone ..have been walking with a cane for 2 weeks but not ready to throw the cane away yet...still tender and weak but getting better everyday...how long before I can get rid of the cane...I am exercising daily????

For the first few months after my first THR I used the shower rather then the tub because I was trying to avoid bending or any kind of twisting of the new hip. I stepped into to tub/shower sideways with the operated side first while being supported by my crutches because the other non operated hip was too painful to support me. Now, five months later and a second THR just 6 weeks old I am still very aware and cautious with both my new hips. Although the initial heel pain has p***ed I recently noticed, while now walking with a cane, swelling of foot/ankle on both legs. I am still on Warferin of between 5mg, 7/5mg or 10mg per day because my INR fluctuates between 3.4 and 1.5. My Physio Therapist said that the swelling is part a normal healing process, fluid buildup etc. Who elso has such condition ? I am 65 and both incisions were 9".

Hi All,

J.R. from Delaware. I'm 3 weeks post op on a right THR. I used a shower chair for about a week and the walker for stability getting in and out of the tub. Now I'm standing in the shower and able to get in and out pretty easy by bending the right leg at the knee 90 degrees and swing the leg sideways over the tub. I'm down to a cane and with the exception of a little bit of incisional pain, I'm not taking any meds at all and walking pretty good. Funny thing my doc corrected a leg length issue and I noticed my right foot pretty much points straight a head now. Best thing though is no pain and no limp for the first time in almost four years. I love modern medicine! BTW, I'm 50 and I have a 10 inch beauty mark on my right thigh because I'm pretty mucscular and my doc had a long way to go to get to my hip socket.

I noticed that we are all doing just fine in regards to tubs and stairs. I did however have an odd moment last week while sitting in the docs waiting room. Bending forward to retrive my cane which had just slipped onto the floor, the notion that this was not a smart move flashed across my mind. A short time later while waiting for the elevator I felt a pressing need to raise and lower my right leg several times and as I did so perceived a distinct clonking sound from the right hip, at that time about 9 weeks new. Thankfully however, all seems fine. I am soon to see the surgeon for a 12 week check up and shall inquire about it.

Annemarie,
I had a similar incident on Monday---dropped my cane and bent over more than I should have and had the same exact sensation. talked to my doc on my 3 week follow up and he said that the ball slid in the liner against the edge and almost dislocated. I got the finger wag and was told to watch it! He also said it takes about 6 months for the joint capsule and the ligaments that form the joint to fully heal and stay tight and then we can do away with most of the precautions with bending over. Shoot I have a friend who had both hips done last year and is back to snow skiing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562