THR On the mend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice
milestone.jpg
(milestone)!

Josephine thank you.

Ventured out to a local gathering spot for dinner and a drink. I'm off the oxy and using Tylenol and Aleve per doctors orders after my last visit. I'm now walking well with just a cane with intermittent spurts of no cane.

If I present any limp I pick up the cane and use it to avoid limping.

Looking forward to practice driving this coming week. Also, moving to stationary bike and some water resistance work once my incision heals completely.

Hi Mac

Nice to hear things are going along well, 85 degrees jeezo stop bragging some of us do come from Scotland with an incredible 15 at the moment mind you we did get 20s for a day last week :groan: shorts on and mind and take things slowly.

Since you're only a couple of days ahead of me, it's nice to see your progress is going well. I'm going to get the staples removed this week, but I'm not sure when. I mentioned the plastic sheet idea, like you, and have been able to take two wonderful showers. Dinner and a drink sounds pretty good, but I'm still taking Vicodin. Maybe I'll try Tylenol only some time next week. I don't want to rush things, but I feel much better than I thought I would at this point. Keep up the good work. I'm right behind you.

forbesy 51desoto The weather here in the NW has been unseasonably nice. I figured I would be recovering in the rains and cool temps of the 50's and 60's but oh we'll. I have a lot of friends that would like me to do my other hip on the theory that I have brought the great weather.

I on the other hand would like to wait for a long time to do the left hip which currently does not bother me.

51desoto I'm really pleased at the movement I have. Walking without the cane more in the house and around the kitchen. I too don't want to over work things and suffer a set back. Still icing and elevating while enjoying the golf at TPC Sawgrass.

On a side note we had a 50's DeSoto that belonged to my great aunt original. 3 speed column with the automatic clutch? I think maybe a 53. Really nice car that we had in the mid 60's.

I bought the car in college for $85. It did have a funny transmission called Fluid Drive; part auto, part stick. It's killing me that I can't play golf with my buddies, now that the weather seems to have finally changed. I'm already negotiating with them to let me ride along to chip and putt, until I get the OK to really swing. My doc says he thinks I will be playing before the end of Summer. I'm not going to do something stupid, but it is a goal.

I bought the car in college for $85. It did have a funny transmission called Fluid Drive; part auto, part stick. It's killing me that I can't play golf with my buddies, now that the weather seems to have finally changed. I'm already negotiating with them to let me ride along to chip and putt, until I get the OK to really swing. My doc says he thinks I will be playing before the end of Summer. I'm not going to do something stupid, but it is a goal.

I'm recovering at our house on the first hole. I played 115 rounds last year and 19 already this year. I feel your pain as far as wanting to be out there.

I had it in my mind that the one we had was a 51 too but didn't think the fluid drive was that early in production but that is exactly how it shifted. Start out wit the clutch and after that just shift as I recall. I'll ask my mom. I think it was cream color over a soft green.

I'm hopeful to do the same as far as golf goes. Doc says no real swing until eight weeks when the implant is fused. Then just ramp it up as comfort dictates.

The past week has been one of daily improvement it seems. Drove two hours home from our vacation place on Tuesday which was my two week post op anniversary. Went to work on Wednesday for 5 hours or so, the drive is an hour each way as well.

All has gone well. Each day the nerve numbness in my thigh is a bit less.

I am walking without a cane now and will return to work tomorrow. Still elevating some but I have stopped icing for the most part. Looking forward to a bit of time in the pool this week and plan to begin a bit of stationary bike with no resistance as recommended by the PA on my last visit. Hopefully my recovery will continue without issue as it has gone to date.

Headed to work today but first needed to get a haircut. My wife had an appointment and had left the house so I found myself for the first time in three weeks needing to get my socks on by myself. Hadn't needed to worry about it in slippers or if Cindy was home so I hadn't even attempted to try and put them on.

So, out of the shower and sitting on the edge of the bed I grabbed a pair of socks, put the left one on (good side) and took a deep breath and lifted my heel to the top of my left knee, bingo!!!! the right one was as easy as the left.

I'm loving this anterior approach and the recovery steps I continue to make.

I hope everyone here has a success today and speedy recovery!

socks on.jpg
Who woulda believed that one day putting your own socks on would be such a big deal!!!! But it certainly is---one of the milestones and highlights of THR recovery. Let's us know that life will be "normal" again. way to go.jpg

Well it's two days until my four week anniversary.

I went off Tylenol a couple day ago and today I stopped the Aleve. No issues or pain. I do have the nerve numbness in my thigh but the area it covers and depth is very little. So my walking is going great, no cane any longer and no hesitation or first step limp any longer either.

I must say this has been very in eventful to this point and I am looking forward to this next week as I think the numbness will be my last telltale sign of the surgery and expect it will be gone soon.

Thank you to everyone here for all the updates and knowledge you have shared, it has been a great help and comfort to me.

It has been 10 weeks now since my surgery. As noted at week four all was well and since then it has continued to be a great recovery.

My OS cautioned me not to think I was ready for anything at around week five and I heeded his warning, by week seven I was looking so forward to week eight and my release to start elevating activity as long as I was comfortable.

I went golfing at week 7/8 not using a full swing and at week eight I was using the full swing. My first round was awful, fun but my new mobility and flexibility was so improved that I had to become familiar with it and it took a couple of rounds to get back on track. While I haven't scored at the low levels I did prior to surgery I know I am not far off, getting used to the new ability to make a turn on the ball has been fun and I have gained yardage with most clubs. In all I have 10 rounds in the past two weeks.

I have made several referrals to my OS since the surgery and a good friend is scheduled for his second hip replacement shortly. He is looking forward to the anterior approach after watching his sister and me both have great recoveries from ours. His first was not the anterior approach and recovery took several months longer than ours.

I am thankful for the site and to all who shared my journey and allowed me to share theirs. Speedy recovery to all my fellow hippies.

golfer.gif
littlemac, what a terrific update! You are really back in the swing of things :heehee:! These man-made hips are the bomb!!!! You're an inspiration to those waiting for surgery who wonder if they'll be able to get back to the activities they've had to give up.

Take care, keep us posted, and enjoy the links! We care.
golf cart.gif

littlemac Great report and getting back to your golf game. I would like to make mention that I don't think recovery really has anything to do with the approach you have. I had the posterial, I have done remarkably well and I am at 3 months started pitching horseshoes SLOWLY at 8 weeks and now I am tournament ready. I think it depends on taking things slow and easy.

golfer.gif
littlemac, what a terrific update! You are really back in the swing of things :heehee:! These man-made hips are the bomb!!!! You're an inspiration to those waiting for surgery who wonder if they'll be able to get back to the activities they've had to give up.

Take care, keep us posted, and enjoy the links! We care.
golf cart.gif

Liveringer very possible, just happy mine went so well, I was a religious ice advocate. Plus really followed the direction of my OS.

Throw a bunch of ringers in your tournament.

I shot a round of 5 over today for my finishing 9 holes. Maybe I found the touch!

littlemac I've been waiting for a golfer to drop by. Your update has encouraged me no end! I have just been cleared, at six weeks, from all restrictions and was told I can play golf after four more weeks. Have to start with putting, chipping, and short pitching, and can't wait to get going. I am hoping to be able to take part in my first 'proper' competition on 22 August.

I am not going to even pick up a club until the first week in August. I am having a couple of weeks away at a therapy centre where I will be working on improving the ROM of my new hip, returning on 2August. That will be nine weeks from surgery, two or three weeks gentle practice after that should be ok don't you think?

Perhaps you could tell me, how did you feel when you took your first swing, did it feel 'safe''?
Did you go straight back to normal spiked shoes, or go for the spikeless ones? Did you use a buggy to start with,or walk the course? Can you squat down yet to line up your putt! So many questions!!

Well, I'm back on the pre-op side. Sorry I didn't see @ellasmummy post a year ago.

Golf has been great and I took the year long points cup for our club this year. I host the dinner on Nov 8 and surgery on Nov 11.

The first hip can't be better! Hope the second goes as well. See you all on the "other side" soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties