TKR So Far So Good

Made my way to the sofa this am to avoid disturbing my wife with my constant moving. Probably napped too much during the day yesterday but those naps sure felt good! Finally comfortable here in just the past few mins. Appreciate the comments and remarks from all. Will make it a positive day.....will get out for a few minutes for a haircut late am.....being out of the house for a short time will be a treat! No, not driving yet, my wife will take care of that......I'll try not to be a "backseat driver"........ :heehee:

Wow! 3 weeks post surgery today. Am I glad it's today and not the day of surgery! Thoughts I am sure we have all had.

My outing Saturday was good but tiring even though I sat in the car while my wife ran a couple of quick errands after my haircut. Sitting in the chair for the cut and in the car seat caused a bit of discomfort. That resolved somewhat once I was able to ice and elevate.

Today was my second PT session. A productive session. Therapist introduced a couple of new exercises and I was able to reach 90 degrees flexion with little assistance. Also used 5lb weights on my ankle for the leg lifts; and spent a few mins on a stationary bike......not yet able to fully rotate the peddles. Weather was a challenge here, navigating with a cane in the snow and ice was interesting, I made sure to move slowly. Entry to rehab facility was well cleared of snow and ice. Neighbors and son were kind enough to assist us with clearing the drive. I must admit, I feel a bit helpless in situations like this. I know what and how it needs to be done, my body just won't let me. All a part of the process I suppose.

I can have the med supply outfit pick up the CPM machine........ :yay: :yay:.......no need for it any more. Will do my exercises 3 times a day now to build that strength in my leg. Still trying to be strategic with my pain meds although I did have to take one just after I got up this am. SOS on the sleep front....... :gaah:

My wife made the observation that knee replacements aren't for sissies!! I agree, this is a challenge!

Best to all!!

So true! But it sounds like you are doing well. Hang in there and keep us posted.

Had a good PT session this past Thursday, slowly adding more exercises and light ankle weights for a few of the exercises. "Cabin Fever" set in big time yesterday!! Had to get out of the house for a while yesterday. Went to nearby mall to look and walk for a bit; was there an hour at the most; stopped at a local eatery for a sandwich. By time we headed home, was more than ready to elevate my knee......my knee was "unhappy"......it demonstrated its unhappiness by swelling quite a bit. This was much to my disappointment! Had thought such a short outing would not result in this happening. Had a normal day ahead of the outing, a couple of exercising sessions, plenty of ice and elevation time..........while the time out was much needed, the manner in which my knee responded was disappointing.

Still some time before I have to return to work, but I worry how my knee will respond then. Although it is an office job, I must move from meeting to meeting and there is a lot of chair time.....which right now becomes uncomfortable if I sit in a chair too long.

I guess the bottom line is I thought I would be further along than I am. Have been doing the exercises, as directed. Maybe expecting too much too soon.

Swelling this am is a bit less than it as at bed time. Sleep still comes in only 2-3 hours at a time. Continue to have to get up a couple of times per night.

Regardless, compared to the first week following surgery, there is much improvement! Guess I have to remind myself to remain patient and continue my pt/exercise activities.....it is a bit ironic, at this time last year I was several weeks into my training schedule for the Half Marathon I ran in last spring.....as I recall, I was inpatient with my progress then as we'll........ :umm:

Happy Saturday to all!

Hi Amab
so love it hear about you being out an about..even though the knee reacted with some swelling I reckon it's still a learning time for us all...very much like training for a run. Do you think you will run again after you have fully recovered. You know it was the thing that really upset me when my OS said 'no more running' ...

I have read that some people continue but I'm not sure if i want to push it with my other knee. But I wonder about walking...there's a lovely 10km run/walk which I have competed in each year since it started which I would dearly love to still be able to do...just walking would be okay...I'm just a participator these days not a competitor.

3am here and I'm wide awake so will browse a little longer until I am sleepy again...sleep only comes in 2/3hour blocks...but I'm managing, take care...keep posting your progress is encouraging. :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile: :flwrysmile:

Gami.....no, my running days are a thing of the past. My left knee was in such horrible shape I overloaded my right knee so much that it will require replacement at some point in the future.

Looking into the EliptiGo......it's an eliptical machine on wheels.....I did a test ride prior to surgery. It was designed by a former runner.....and it operates like a standup bike. Good cardio workouts from what I understand. Must get thru rehab and rom in order to test again before purchasing. Much progress needed on rehab front though.....

Best to you....

4 weeks post surgery today! Good PT session this afternoon. Was worried my progress had stalled, but flexion increased to 95 degrees! While I wish it was more, still positive movement. Met a 12 week patient today at rehab....he is still struggling to get beyond 90 degrees. Just goes to show as much as we all have in common with TKR.....each is different!!

New exercises with light ankle weights were added to my home exercise schedule. Must admit I can only manage a 2 sessions each day. Tried 3 but the knee swelled. Therapist said twice a day is sufficient. Had an errand to run with my wife following the session and it stiffened up in me. Decided to take a pain pill since I didn't get the knee iced sufficiently.

Tough night last night as far as sleeping. Up the usual couple of times; up for good at 4:30 am. Has been a long day. Top that off with another nasty snow storm. Spring can't come quickly enough so outside walks can be enjoyed.

The recovery continues......."so far, so good"........

Later!

Hi Amab
you are so right, we are all different, on the same journey but different and everyday our knees let us know just how they are different too. Nice to hear you had a good PT session and like yours my knee demands icing if I work it at all.

My physio said I could try riding a stationary bike at gym and also could do some upper body work if I liked so my husband drove me down there this afternoon. It was pretty challenging just to go in. However with his help I got on a bike but could not do a full revolution with my knee...so I just rocked it back and forth for a couple of minutes then did some the upper body work for about 15mins then back to the bike for another few minutes. We came straight home only 10minutes in the car and I iced it straight away...it will be interesting to see if it liked our little escapade or whether it rebels and gives me some grief....if it does I will leave it another week before I try again.

I slept well last night after having a massage yesterday...it really helped relax the muscles I think. It's the end of a very very wet summer where I live and like you I long for the season to change as I know the weather will settle and outside walks along the beach are on my must do list.

rest easy. :ok: :flwrysmile:

The morning after PT......stiff and swollen this morning; yesterday's PT session was good, not pressed to pain but good stretching. Have to say I am a bit surprised. The knee actually felt quite good immediately following PT.....so, will just do one exercise session today....

PT session this afternoon went well. Made sure to ice thoroughly to keep the swelling down as much as possible. Flexion increased to 101 degrees; practiced on going up and down steps; still need more flexibility to be more confident with doing stairs the "normal" way. Progress from Tuesday, will have to see how the over night goes....... :)

Don't rush with the stairs. It took me around 6 weeks to go up normally and 10 weeks to come down normally! In fact, don't rush anything. You're only 4 weeks out - still a baby knee yet!

:gaah: ........wide awake at 4:15 am......disappointing! That "baby knee" as Josephine called it yesterday decided to show who's the boss!! Had to come downstairs to avoid disturbing my wife. Hopefully icing will help some this am. Frustrated over not being able to get a full night's sleep.

Hi Amab it would be nice to be able to say a frustration shared is a frustration halved but we both know...we just have to deal with it :groan: ...and sleep well it's almost as hard for me to manage as my knee sometimes.

I'v been to the gym a couple of times..add another to the frustration list...upper body work was okay no problem getting that going but much lighter weights at this stage and some inconvenience setting myself up but encouraging to be there.
However I still can't manage a full revolution on the bike either backwards of forwards, my husband stays with me and he says it's sooo close but it feels too painful to go further...so i just rock back and forth... :shrug: :shrug:

Glad to hear your PT is going well nice to come away feeling you have achieved just a little bit of progress...
Keep up the good work
Gami :cheers:

Gami....same here for me on the bike at PT facility.....unable to do a full revolution.

Completed a full exercise session late this am. Will just do one today; back to 2 tomorrow. The session went pretty good; I warmed my knee and thigh with the heating pad for a few mins prior to starting the exercises. It made loosening up go a little quicker....then iced down the knee after the session was completed. Made sure to get some walking in; that has been helpful today.

Keeping my fingers crossed on a restful overnight...... :zzz:

Great job Amab...:ok: :dancy:

I'd forgotten about the warming side of the equation but nature gave me a heads up this morning as the sun was shining through a window onto the bed where I was resting( we haven't had much summer sunshine for a few months) and I could actually feel my knee relaxing as I lay there...time for me to find the old 'wheat bags...heat packs' I think might help my tight quads a bit. Hope you get a good rest
Gami :flwrysmile:

I LOVE THE FEEL OF THE SUN ON MY KNEES. ISNT IT JUST WONDERFUL. HOPE YOU GET MORE SLEEP. ITS A PROBLEM ISNT IT AND VERY ANNOYING. IM 21 WEEKS NOW AND MOST OF MY POSTS ON HERE ARE IN THE WEE SMALL HOURS. KEEP ON GOING WITH THE BIKE. THE FIRST TIME YOU GET THE FULL ROTATION IS SO GOOOOOD :happydance: MY MIDDLE NAME IS PATIENCE NOW. YOU JUST HAVE TO LEARN THAT ON THIS RECOVERY. TAKE CARE.

Yea!!!!!! :happydance:

Best night's rest since surgery last night. Well, at least much much better than the night before. Readjusted the knee support while in bed, that seemed to be most helpful.

Time to exercise in a few.....starting out to be a great day!!

Will see how changing to daylight savings time affects sleep patterns. Was quite restless when I hit the bed last night. But once that past, slept til 8:30 this am. A new record since surgery!!

Gave myself a day off from exercising sessions. Will get back to them tomorrow!

Sounds like you are doing well Amab, good for you! :thumb:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom