interviewing surgeons for TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebird442

This will be my first TKR (but not surgery) and I want to be able to "interview" a few doctors and discuss my list of questions with each one. To anyone out there who has gone thru this grueling process, please I would welcome any words of encouragement. I am afraid that the surgeons will be put off by this, although they shouldn't be. I have abt 10-12 questions. Do you think that is too much? From what I gather - you should never be afraid to ask a doctor questions about your treatment...right ??:what:

Bluebird,
Welcome to Bonesmart, yes ask all the questions you need, a good surgeon will not be put off. Check out their website, some of your questions may be answered there.
Here is a link to some questions to ask, http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/choosing-a-surgeon-and-a-prosthesis.2491/
Good idea to interview a few doctors to find the best one for you, and ask away, you will be glad you did.:SUNsmile:

It's good to have questions. You may find they give you good info even before you ask. My doc answered all my questions but two before I even pulled out my sheet. And he seemed pleased that I did have those questions, (which he answered to my satisfaction).

If any surgeon expresses irritation or reluctance in allowing you to ask questions or in answering them, exit his office quickly! That is not the kind of surgeon you want!

I agree with the others. Your surgeon should answer all of your questions. Most surgeons have a typical "speech" to go through the risks and benefits, post-op course and the various treatment alternatives. I find that this usually answers most of my patients questions. However, I invite my patients to ask any other questions as there are so many issues involved with knee replacement that there is always something else we could discuss.

Orthodoc

That's why you are one of a kind, Doc! :wink:

A couple of suggestions---write down questions a head of time---during conversations, we often get sidetracked and forget to ask questions as our train of thought has been waylay-ed.

Write down the answers to the questions---and ask for clarifications---you should not leave the office if you are unclear about something discussed.

Take somebody with you---that way, you can compare notes and interpretations later on. Sometimes we, the ones going through the surgery---lose some objectivity---and another person can help you out here.

I was actually scheduled with one surgeon for a left TKR and it would have been done alot sooner, however I chose to get a second opinion from another doc. This other doc is one of the best in the country and is written up in med books for certain procedures he follows during surgery. so I absolutely chose him even though I had to wait for him. Now I need a right TKR and I am going to him again. I went to him with a notebook and questions- never be afraid to ask questions. After all it's your knee! I also put together a 3 ring binder with all my notes, docs letters & information, allergies, meds & all my docs and any other stuff that I needed to refer to in prep for surgery. I have my suitcase out now, because I am going to a rehab, and I am putting the clothes and things I need to take with me in it as I think of them.

I appreciate this thread. I am now ready to start a job search for a ortho surgeon. I have many questions. I have a valgus malformation of the left knee and need to know how hardware is choosen for such a problem; is it based on an individual basis or standard throughout the industry; does the surgeon bring in a variety of "knees" into the OR just in case there is more or less damage to the surfaces; and where do I start to look for a surgeon in my area-norhern Ohio??? I appreciate any info. I will look at the questions mentioned in the earlier discussion.
This site has been a great boast for me to restart the process of looking for doctor and proceding with surgery. I realize my family is not going to support me during this process but now I have a group who understand what I am going through and have support I deeply need.

Yep, we're here for you.
You can use the "Find a Clinic" bar at the top of the page to at least get started on finding names and locations.

There is no need for special devices to be used. I said before that dealing with valgus or varus deformities is commonplace in TKR and surgeons are well used to it. The standard implants are perfectly capable of being used as it's the cut that matters, not the prostheses. That's why I posted the picture of the man's legs - his were both perfectly standard, uncomplicated replacements.

ohio gal, to really ease your mind about the implant--I had both knees replaced in October 2011 and my hubby had both his replaced in September 2012. We both have exactly the same type of implant by the same manufacturer. I had perfectly straight forward replacements. My hubby on the other had had extreme valgus (knocked knees) and super hyper-extension along with the valgus. Note his before and after pictures.

Front View 1.jpg New Front.jpg Side View 1.jpg 002.JPG (These are thumbnails. Click on them for larger view.)

Find a good surgeon and put your trust in him/her. You'll end up with a nice straight leg with a pain free knee.

OH MY GOD, what gorgious legs after the surgery. This has been sooo helpful, thanks R

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties