March 4th LTKR -- and still dreading recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
donjoy iceman.jpg
Sarasotalady, you need to check with your hospital if you have Medicare---both my hubby and I woke up in recovery with the Donjoy ice pad in place with the surgical dressing. The machines were ours to take with us when we left. So it is possible that you won't have to purchase one.

It worked very well---but does not cover the area all the way around the leg---but most of it. You can ice on the top side for a while and then switch the pad to the back of the knee.

You can put six 8oz. frozen bottles of water in it and add water to the fill line, and the cold water lasts for hours. But you need someone else to do that for you in the beginning.

Welcome sarsota lady. You will get lots of help and advice and comfort here on Bonesmart, wonderful group of people.
Fortunately i don't have a problem with taking painkillers except morphine. Or those synthetic morphine type drugs.
There are lots of different meds out there they can try for you, to see what works best. so maybe they can play around with it til they find one that suits you well. Good Luck in your endeavors and recovery. Keep us posted, again welcome:flwrysmile:

To all,
I still have 7 weeks to go before March 4th surgery/ I just want to thank the many responders to my initial post that started this thread -- - a plea for help, I guess.

Reading other posts and articles has enabled me to become calmer , less anxious and looking forward to a better quality of life. Am using the time to become more informed and create my lists of things to take to hospital, rehab, and have at home, and getting help at home. So if u don't hear from me for a while, I haven't gone away, but am just trying to absorb/apply what I've learned, and reading the postings of those who are having surgeries.

I've learned that our hospital doesn't provide "take home" cold therapy device. I have OS prescription for one,. Will be speaking with ortho nurse about different types and if I can take it to the hospital. I'd feel more secure with that available.

By the way, I'm getting a DePuy implant. Anyone have any experience with it-- I understand there's a rotating type and other versions.

SarasotaLady
arthroscopy 12/2011
LTKR scheduled March 4, 2013

Driving-- what's the criteria for being able to drive? Do you have to be completely off pain meds -- what kind of pain meds?

Thanks/
SarasotaLady

I believe my knees are DePuy, but don't know specifics. I was told that I could drive when I felt comfortable and was off the heavy-duty pain meds. I assume they meant the percocet, but their being heavy-duty is debatable in my book!

Hi Lady, I have not been through tkrs yet, but just from reading this last 1.5 years,seems the 6 week mark seems to be the magic bullet.
I do believe you have have a release from your Dr. Not positive on that.
Now that just seems to be the average.
If I am mistaken, and OMG her name just went out of my head was driving at 2 weeks, she had no choice, just cant take those pain killers til you get home. (but her PT was kind and gentle, like they should be, and she did have a fracture prob I beleive to, so was set back, she gonna kill me when she she reads this that i cant think of her name.) I will find it and post.
But like I said the average i read is 6 weeks, depending on your situation. Other's will be along with more experience and let you know their thoughts, mean time...Take care...Sheryl:flwrysmile:.....

PS....... See below

Oh dear it was killing me, her name is 1ELISEA. I still haven't got the hang of tagging, but I am sure she will see your post and tell you her story.
ok how do i get my font and color. i copy and pasted from her post. Oh well. You get the point. hang in there...Sheryl :)

sheryl7, to tag someone all you need to do is type @ and then their username with no space in between. Just be sure you get their username correct. Once you hit "Post Reply"---you will see that the username has turned blue---this means your tag has worked. Then the person you tagged will get an alert notice at the top of their screen page.

I found mixed reviews regarding the Footsmart leg elevator, https://www.loungedoctor.com/properuse.
SarasotaLady
Arthroscopy Dec. 2011
LTKR scheduled March 4, 2013
sarasotalady, First-hand experience with Footsmart's leg elevator; I ordered the Footsmart's last year and have been disappointed with the "fit" of it. Even though I ordered the size specified for my height, my legs don't fit in the right places. In order to even use it, I have to turn it over to the bottom (flat) side, but it simply doesn't position my legs correctly.
The Lounge Doctor does look as if it would do a better job of elevating. I may give it a try.

I also have the Footsmart leg elevator and agree that with above. I found I had to put a pillow in the hollow for your calves for it to be comfortable and do the job. Too much money not to work as advertised. I also agree that the Lounge Doctor appears to be the better choice. You can, of course, just use several regular pillows to build up the elevation.

Here's a link showing a lot about elevating:
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

bottomshollow, I know you are right about using regular pillows. I haven't had much luck with the footsmart wedge at all and may wash the cover and donate it to someone else that it might fit better. I've had to do the elevation thing, let's see 6 different times for previous foot surgeries, and they do have to be re-arranged regularly. I'm trying to budget and not overstock on things I won't need long, but as much as I like putting my feet up anyway, I may try to splurge on the Lounge Doctor.

Here i shall try it@bottomshollow. thanks for the the tip, i knew it had to be easy, I was just making it hard on myself, thanks:)

oops lets try that again my words were to close to together, just trying to get the practice. bottomshollow , no lets see if we have it this time

yipee, I finally got it, thanks!!

Yes, you did----knew you could do it if you just knew how!

Lol, yes Lucia i do, now it seems so simple:yay:

Driving-- what's the criteria for being able to drive? Do you have to be completely off pain meds -- what kind of pain meds?

Thanks/
SarasotaLady
There are several components in dealing with the readiness to drive. One is that you must be off of the narcotic pain meds; I was of of them at about four weeks, but i was not able to drive for another two weeks as my legs were not quite strong enough yet (that is component #2.) you should also be able to perform an emergency brake and push the pedal to the floor, so to speak.

Most drive at around six weeks; some may drive a little earlier.

The first time I did go out on my own, I was just running a few errands around town and came back exhausted!

By the way, I'm getting a DePuy implant. Anyone have any experience with it-- I understand there's a rotating type and other versions.

Do not worry at all about the DuPuy implants---all implants are excellent and meet the needs and demands of what the patients require. There are no "good", "better", or "best" implants---all of them are tested and excellent; what matters is the surgeon's skill and his ability to pick the right implant to meet your needs. normally, the surgeon works with one implant manufacturer and is especially familiar with them.

I have two Stryker Triathlons in my knees, and my surgery was held up a few minutes as the OS was waiting for the Stryker rep to assist. Trust in the surgeon---pick the very best who does 100's of them a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties