Running

Status
Not open for further replies.

noffa

Hi I am new to this thread, my husband will be having hip replacement in July, he has AVN and 53 years young, our concern is his job he is in lawenforcement, that means at times he might have to foot chase, will he be able to return to work? He only has three years before he retires.

Hello Noffa, Has your husband had the operation yet? How is he doing? Best wishes, Sonia.

hello
im a 36 year old male firefighter i just had both replaced june 14 2006
i also have avn
im off my crutches now and doing great
im going back to work next week as a dozer operator
we have a yearly work capacity test as a condition of our employment
it consist of carrying a 45 pound pack 3 miles in 45 min or less
the doc says i can do it
it will take about 6 months to get there though
people run after thr
you can find stuff on that all over the net
do your phyisical therapy!
good luck
john

Hello John, when the time had come for you to get up from the hospital bed to make your first step, how was it? How did your new hips tolerate your body weight? Usualy in most cases, people have one hip replaced and they tend to not put the full body weight on the operated hip. With you, you didn't have any choice! So how was it? I have an aweful picture in my mind and until i don't get all my answers i won't go for THR X2!!! Even though everyone on the forum seems to be happy, i'm still not satisfied... Help, Thanks. Sonia.

Sonia,

Are you contemplating simultaneous bilateral THR? I had that done in May of 05. There are no guarentees in surgery, but I can tell you how my surgery and recovery went.

First of all, most surgeons have a set of criteria you must meet before they will consider you for simultaneous. Some surgeons just will not do both at the same time. From my experience, if you do not meet the criteria, I would not consider simultaneous. If you do, it is a great way to go with only 1 surgery/recovery and legs healing together.

My surgery was extra long because my left hip was in worse shape than expected. However, my recovery was very fast. I was up and walking on crutches, weight bearing, the next morning, doing stairs by afternoon and home the next morning. Within four days, I was starting to forget my crutches when going room to room. The grinding hip pain is instantly gone and the pain from the surgery is easily controled with the very nice drugs they provide. That being said, my recovery is unusual, but I had some good things going for me, which is why my surgeon even considered simultaneous for me.

If you are considering simultaneous, take a hard look at yourself and lifestyle now. This is not meant to be mean or hard, but this is a hard fact. If you are overweight at all, if you are not muscular/ strong, if you do not have a great home support system, or if you are not strongly motivated to work hard at recovery, you may not want to do both hips at the same time. If you decide to go ahead with simultaneous, then start working out with weights right now and work as hard as you can till your surgery date. This can make a huge difference in your outcome.

John: I have no doubt you will make the cut!! Keep up the good work.

Noffa: I had my hips replaced due to OA so I am not sure about AVN, but my hips definatly allow me to do a fair amount of running. Find a great surgeon and make sure hubby stays strong both before and after surgery.

Andrea

Hello Andrea, i received your message on my hot mail and i sent a message back straigth away but i can't find it on this forum i don't know where it went, nevermind, (i incorectly put John's name instead of yours) but my message was saying I really need to EXERCISE!!! Maybe i might just do one hip at a time... will see with my progress...:eek:

My surgeon did say that it's best for me (my case) to do simultaneous bilateral THR but he did not even mention if i could handle it. He just said that i was young and will recover fast??? I know exactly that i need to make my body fitter, that, i'll do it for me! He is most interested of doing the operation and then it's up to me to recover, isn't it?

All i can say is that because of this fantastic forum that i've found a few months ago, I am not so scared like before. Thank you all for your contributions.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie