Double HRS at the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbgrip

I was curious if anyone has had a double HRS at the same time. Would you recommend it? I really want to go through PT once and get back to work ASAP.

So many, you wouldn't believe, mbgrip, and welcome to BoneSmart! I did a search and found these that you can look at for a start.

We have some active members that had BTHRs and have done very well. I'm sure they'll chime in and share their experiences. There's a lot to be said for it - one anaesthetic, one lot of recovery and PT. Some friends of mine had their hips done that way and are delighted with the outcome.

I am a recovered simultaneous bilateral THR, May '05. For me it was a great way to go, but there are lots of things to take into consideration.

Not all surgeons will even do them, and the ones that do tend to have some pretty strict criteria. I had an outstanding, highly skilled surgeon that was a miracle worker for me, but he does not do simultaneous very often. His criteria included being young (I was 53), lean/strong, motivated, and have great home support.

The surgery was long, over 4 hrs, but I was able to recovery very quickly and home in 2 days. I was very fit before my surgery and spent the 2 months I had waiting doing a LOT of weight training to get as strong as I possibly could be. I worked very hard at my PT, but I was able to return to work and play in a very short period of time. Today, you would never know I have 2 artificial hips. I am very active and they do not slow me down in any way.

You really need to discuss this in length with your surgeon. If he/she is ok with it, it can be a great way to go. Best of luck to you!

Andrea

Hi Mbgrip,
If you are in great shape and can find an excellent surgeon. Go for it. I am 13 weeks out, my surgery was a little over an hour and a half AND I felt better the day of surgery!(I'm 48)
I am totally back to being me and it is wonderful! Power walk my dogs 4 miles a day. Run around the dog show ring on weekends. Haul 30 lbs of dog food up the stairs each day to feed critters. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would be as easy as it was. It is work though, both before and after, but the gnawing pain is gone and the pain you have from the surgery is nothing compared to what you are living with now.

Best wishes,
Donna

I agree with all of the above...I am at 10 months after bilateral THR and experience was similar to the other posts. Surgery was 2.5 hours long. I was given a spinal block, and kept awake during most of the surgery (which still weirds me out a bit).All of the sawing noises, tugging, pushing and heavy carpentry sounds were a bit daunting. I was glad when they said "you're all done". In hindsight I recommend not being awake if your surgeon will allow it.

I was also home in 2 days and even after the first day using a walker, remember an amazing lack of pain, and feeling it was a new beginning. Surgery pain and post op recovery ran a distant second to the unrelenting end stage arthritis in both hips. I now try to remember the old pain and can't anymore..I guess that is good.

Best wishes,
Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties