Infection and pain+++

Status
Not open for further replies.

budafli

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi all
I havent mailed for a while. I had an infection and massive doses of antibiotics. I thought all was well. Except I am never without pain. I went to PT this morning and the physio said I want your knee reviewed today by doctor, I think you have a haemotoma and ongoing infection. In the mornings I can walk without crutches by about 1pm I am using one crutch and stepping up pain meds, by about 3pm I am using two crutches to drag my body along until I can get up on my bed with my leg. I went back to work 2 weeks ago very part time. I am in a job where I can come and go as I need to. I am trying to set a timetable so I am in for the most important meetings and video conferences.
The physio is now wondering if this is why I could not get on top of the pain right in the begining, hes is wondering how long the infection has been there.
Sometimes the pain is so bad I just want to cry!
The doctor sent me for bloods today and has confirmed infection and given more antibiotics. Im feeling tired quite washed out at a time whenI want to feel really grateful for the knee replacement. I suppose the only answer is to do this one day at a time. I want to keep doing a little bit of the day at work as I need the contact!
Thanks for listening to me grumble
Budafli

Oh goodness, I'm so sorry to hear you are going through that. It sounds miserable. I'm hoping the antibiotics help! Did you ask you Doc or PT about finding a way to get on top of the pain?

You are WORKING with an infection in your TKR? budafli, this is NOT the way to get it sorted. Your body needs every ounce of energy to fight this and you should be resting 24/7.

Who diagnosed the infection and how?
Who prescribed the antibiotics?
Does your surgeon know you are still at work?

Most importantly, have you seen your surgeon about this infection and if so, what is his plan for it? If he is planning to try and treat it with oral antibiotics then I can tell you now, the chances of that suceeding are not good.

Budafli

I am so sorry to hear you are going through so much pain and an ongoing infection.
Listen to Josephine.
Judy

What a terrible thing to be going through! Please take care of yourself!!! An infection is nothing to fool around with and it needs your full attention NOW. You are not complaining and you deserve some serious action by your surgeon to get on top of the infection and the pain. Listen to Josephine and write as often as you can for support and advice from her. And until you are back on track, you will be in my prayers.

Budafi, I think it safe to say, you have all our sypathies, however, it is just soooo important that you listen to Jo's advice. She could save your life and your leg. This kind of infection is going to need IV antibiotics and the care you receive should be coming from your OS who is the only one qualified to treat you in this matter in my opinion. As for working, you need to be resting. We work to live, we don't live to work. This is your life and at the very least (which is one HE$$ of a least, huh?) it is your leg. I pray to God you do two things. Get treatment from your OS and stop working and concentrate on taking care of yourself until you are well enough. Good luck, you are in my prayers. Rowdy

Hi all
I did see the OS with the last infection he did a second lot of bloods said the ?crp was coming down and that was good and that he would see me at the 3 month mark. The antibiotics the first time were given by a hospital emergency doctor because I went there with celulitis around the wound. This time I dont see any red mark but the blood says the crp has gone back up and so the GP (general practioner) has given me more oral antibiotics.No one of the doctors has told me I shoudnt be at work and they know I am there part time. I am thinking of telling my GP on Monday that I want to see the OS again urgently. I know I have to keep on with the antibiotics but have a very sore mouth with them. I did ask about IV antibiotics yesterday because of the sore mouth but the gp said I would get it even with IV ones.I am resting all weekend, I had decided to do minimal weight bearing on the joint because its so sore.=well its probably not the joint its above and below it and on both sides. It swells quite a lot. too. It is also very sensitive to anything on it like the sheet.
Budafli

Indeed - first thing Monday morning ring his office and ask for an emergency appointment. If he's still taking this lase fair approach, get a second opinion and quickly. You canNOT afford to dally with this situation.

Budafli....I pray that you take Josephine's advice. This is serious, my friend, and quite frankly to me it doesn't seem like your doctors are taking it that way. A second opinion by a really good doctor may be in order. Please post on Monday at least and let us know how you are. We care!!!

Budafli: Cannot get your post off my mind. I hope you are taking the warnings and advice here to heart. Your very life could depend on it and God knows we all want nothing but the best for you and each other. I second Jamie when I say I hope you post on Monday telling us that you are seeing an orthopedic surgeon immediately. This is a very serious problem and you need to have it taken care of. I will keep you in my prayers. Good luck. Rowdy

Well as you can see everyone is a bit worried as infection is the one thing that can't be ignored.

CRP is C-reactive protein which is used a marker for inflammation. A better indicator of infection is the white blood cell count. Also, did they do any blood cultures to see what bug is causing the infection. If there is no response to infection they should be doing what is called microbial culture sensitivity tests which basically is taking a sterile blood sample and plating it with a variety of different antibiotics to see which ones are getting a response.

Is the knee red and hot, if so they should be thinking of taking a sample of the fluid to see if microorganisms are growing.

You said your mouth is sore -- do you have a bad taste or do you see white patches on the tongue, checks or at the corners. If so they can be a sign of oral thrush a common adverse effect of antibiotics.

Drink lots of water.

Will be thinking of you and as everyone has said called the OS on Monday and don't take no for an answer.

Hope you are feeling better

Simon

Actually there are some forms of peri-prosthetic infection (around a prosthesis) that don't give kinds of those severe symptoms. The low grade fungal-like infections can grumble on for ages without causing them. And if antibiotics have already been administered, this can result in negative blood cutures. However, it's very unlikey anyone's life would be at risk from such a thing, nowadays, not even the limb.

Today I was to see the doctor but was not able to keep the appointment. There was a critical family reason why I couldnt involving the safety of 3 children and involving police etc. But tomorrow I will definately be seeing him. I am ringing first thing in the morning and I am not taking no for an answer. I know my knee is critical too but this morning I just had to make the choice for safety of my grandchildren and this has taken all day.
I had a phonecall to the med centre first to ask the nurse for the result of the blood done on friday and it showed a lowering of the crp. Does anyone else have a feeling like a bouncing ball in their knee when they walk? I think this might be fluid but will address it tomorrow.
Thank you all for support, prayer and care.
Budafli

Budafli,
I am sorry about your family emergency. I hope it is all settled and everyone is safe.
Please let us know how your apt goes tomorrow.
Judy

I'm new ere & never posted before, tho I have read posts. Just wanted to say, I hope you see the surgeon right away & that he has the knowledge to help your knee .I'm so sorry you're going thru this & will be watching for your report as to what is being done to help you.2knees

It is fluid - for sure. And that worries me ...

This is john and I have a staph infection in my knee that I had replaced 5 months ago, im on antibiotiacs and my blood count is almost back to normal, but i still have to have my new knee remove and be on a iv with strong antibiotiacs for 6 weeks and then have another knee put in, you could have a low grade infection, ''LETS HOPE'' It still is somethig that needs to be looked asap. you need to have a coulture from the fluid in your knee to find out what kind of infection to treat. good luck john

Exactly, John. I wanted to say that but didn't want to scare. Much better coming from someone who is going through it themselves. Thank you.

John, glad to hear you seem to have the infection under control. Will keep you in our prayers.

Budifly, I keep checking to see and then you go and have a family emergency, sounds like that old saying, when it rains it pours. Sincerely hope your grandchildren and the rest of your family are okay. Certainly it is understandable that you felt you had to put them first and the fact that you did in your serious circumstance speaks volumes about what a kind and loving person you are. God will look after you I am sure but you still need to see the OS tomorrow. I will check in tomorrow evening to see if you have gotten any information. Good luck and God speed. Rowdy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties