Revision TKR Now what???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sandy....I am so sorry you are hurting. I can most certainly understand your desire to get off the couch and DO SOMETHING NORMAL like a few squats. For someone who has always been active like you, I cannot imagine the torture that being basically immobile must be. Frankly, I think you've been dealing with it VERY well so far.

You know, we all have those moments when we overdo things. You just had one of those this weekend. When it happens, we regroup....slow down for a bit....and wait for the pain to lessen. It will and you'll be back on track again. So don't beat yourself up too much over this slight setback.

The important thing is to keep working to get at the real problem behind all of this. You have made good progress on that here lately and I believe you are on the right path. I just wish I could wave a magic want and make it move faster for you!!! ((((HUGS))))

I did 5 squats, THEN, 3 sets of 5 quad sets, followed by 3 sets of heel slides. THEN climbed the stairs.

I am my own worst enemy.
Oh Sandy, Sandy, Sandy! You surely are! Just one of those would have been quite enough as a try out after all this time.
aflagsforworship.co.uk_jo_pic_images_nonofitst.gif

Trainwreck, how are you doing. I haven't been here for a while. I hope everything is ok. I do know you had a very ruff start. Tashia:doggieshmooze::flowerysmile:

Hey Sandy,
I know this revision thing is really scary for you. I vowed I would never let an ortho near my body again. Pre-revision I was unable to walk 10 feet without crying and no doctor (except one, finally) believed me. ( I still wonder why did they think I was lying???... it was hurtful and insulting)
My family strongly encouraged me to at least try the surgery because I stopped being "myself" if you know what I mean. I would limp from my bed to a chair to a couch. Ice and elevate most of the day. A trip to a grocery store (even riding the handicapped cart) took about 4 days to recover from. My life was a nightmare. I swear I felt trapped in "the twilight zone" with doctors treating me like a hysterical female just going through menopause.
The revision was easier to recover from ( despite the longer stems) because I think I had 1) a better surgeon 2) a better implant. Still it is a bit longer to recover time wise because my muscles deteriorated and I was so anxious to recover I often pushed myself too hard.
The good news 'pushing yourself too hard" you can recover from. A loose implant you can't ever recover from because it hurts so much... you NEED it fixed. More good news is everyone here will support you during your recovery and you will have what you need ( a solid implant) to recover.
Thinking of you and hoping you give your knee this 'second chance'!
I often think us Revision folks are the 10%... Where can we go 'occupy' and rant and rave for a few hours...Would it make us feel better? Even though I am getting better/stronger everyday I still feel very violated and amazed something like this could happen. Hang in there girl!!
Your knee buddy, Minnie

Thanks for the support.

I am trying to maintain a positive outlook, but I also know myself, and I am a real Gemini (my birthday is June 20).

There is the Sandy who presents as a happy, smiling, sense of humor, happy-go-lucky, fun person full of life, etc me.
Those of you who have known me for a while on this forum first saw this side of me.

Then under that facade, there is another me.
A glass half empty, doom and gloom, focused on the negative, scared and anxious person.
We are dealing with this part of me now.

I am so good at flipping 'the switch', that almost everyone at work (excepting my secretary) were surprised at my "sudden issue" that caused me to give up my practice in June.

The "real" me is a bit of both.

This experience has almost been good for me, in that for the 1st time in my life, the walls have come down and I have to deal with negative, scared, anxious me.
I guess this is why I see 2 (yes 2) Therapists every week.

I am trying to learn to meditate while sitting.
(I usually meditate while I am in the woods hiking, or on a wall of ice, where I focus only on my next ice tool placement).

Now that I am really hobbled, I am forced to pick apart that part of me that I so successfuly hid. I'm not sure who made this quote, but it is where I am focusing.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger"
Sorry for the vent. This is tough.
S.

Sandy, no matter what sign we are - I think we all reveal a "dark side" when we are in constant pain. It just wears you down!

This is the place to rant and I am glad you can come here and share your concerns. Keep it coming. We are all here for you!

Sandy, sweetheart - we all have that dual personality. I know I do. Only the other day I was posting on here all bright and chipper and at the same time, posting something very similar to your message on another forum. Life is tough - your situation is tough. We share it together. We all walk the same road to one degree or another. Please know you are not alone. ((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))

Sandy,

You are in pain! Your body is crying out and you think we should always expect you to be the happy Sandy???

We are all here for you! I have my revision sometime during the week of March 5th. Let me let you in on a little secret....:secretaea:

I am scared! Starting over when I "think" that I can manage with this knee scares the beegeebers out of me! Will the Dr. get all of the MRSA that is hiding? I have been living on 4 antibotic pills a day to keep it confined to the knee replacement only.

God will be with me, but that doesn't mean that I don't have a lump in my throat especially as I think about it.

We will get through this together! We are both strong and stubborn people, and we have a lot to look forward to!

The best is yet to come!:yahoo:

Sandy, my own inner pessimist is frequently attempting to undermine my every move. I joked about giving up any dream of MMA fighting. Yet, I always have that fight with myself. For obviously different reasons than yours. Be strong.

Well, I went out shopping for clothes (I'm up 20 # and need some stuff to fit).
I spent several hours in 2 different stores.

Smack down. Now my groin and left knee are bothering me.

Online shopping, which I find pricy and add the shipping charges, will be it for now, as I have no idea when, or IF I'll unload the extra weight.

Anxiety is mounting as the countdown begins.

****I do have a question for anyone who is on chronic opoids.
How did you deal with pain?
Were you in more pain that couldn't be overed by pain meds because of tolerance?

I have an appointment with Pain Management on my pre-op lab day, but I remain concerned, since 2 years ago, when I was NOT TOLERANT, I had very poor pain control.

I know, different Dr, different hospital.....
ital. BUT same me.

Sandy, the latest thing in pain management is a 'multimodal' approach. Meaning that research has shown that moderate doses of several different meds can be more effective for people who have been on long term opiates and have developed a certain resistance to them. Things like Oromorph, oxycontin, Gabapentin and Diclofenac all taken together. I would discuss this with them.

Thank you Jo:
I have taken Gabapentin and Diclofenac with my current pain meds. I didn't think it made much of a difference.

I am surprised that I seem to be the only person here who is on chronic meds, and am tolerant to opoids.
I feel bad enough about it anyway.

I really do feel alone here at this point. Just because I have already been through this surgery doesn't mean I do not need support.

I know you like it when everything is in one post, but I am getting very few hits and that hurts.
Should I start a new thread on this topic? Or should I just give up?

Sandy feel free to start a new thread on the subject. We can alway merge it into this thread later.

Honestly I can only recall one other Smartie who had that problem. But Linda does not come on the forum regularly anymore. I'll tag her anyway and see if she is lurking somewhere. @Lindawalms:

Sandy,
Mad Rocker in hip pre op, has problems with medications. You might want to check ot her posts. He son is a pharmacist, so she has help. You will enjoy her posts, she has a wonderful sense of humor.
Hope it goes well with the pain med Doc.

I am trying to maintain a positive outlook, but I also know myself, and I am a real Gemini (my birthday is June 20).
I was born on the cusp of Aquarius (Feb 3rd) and am an absolutely perfect Aquarian in that I believe that astrology is utter nonsense :th_heehee:
I am trying to learn to meditate while sitting. ...Now that I am really hobbled, I am forced to pick apart that part of me that I so successfuly hid .... Sorry for the vent. This is tough.
Sandy, I have found that introspection can be dangerous; it's too easy to get into a negative loop, which is (maybe) what's happening to you?

In my run-up to surgery I was a pathetic wimp. I found what helped me most was to make up a positive mantra and to repeat it to myself over and over again out loud; this is I guess almost the polar opposite of looking inward.

My mantra varied, but was always along the lines of 'I am not worried. Surgery won't hurt, I'll be unconscious at the time; pain in recovery will be controlled and WILL go away. Life will be better afterwards'. It sounds daft, but it really helps even if you don't believe the words.

Sandy, I always read your thread and want you to know that I'm here to support you. While I don't have the problem with pain control, I DO know how it feels to have a failed joint and having to go through joint replacement after replacement with what seems like no end in sight. Please know that even if people don't post to your thread that they feel for you and possibly just don't know what to say.

You are a strong woman and I am very confident you will get through this and get your life back in order. This is something that I, too am trying to achieve. I know you want to get back to that ice climbing! :thumb: Take care of yourself.

Sandy, please don't feel ignored. I pray for you often as does my prayer partner even though she's not a member of BS but she's heard my prayers when we meet (on the phone, she's in Spain!) for our weekly prayer session.

Be of good cheer - your implant is loose and only good can come of having it fixed.

Hey Sandy,

I have been thinking of you. When is your revision surgery.. end of this month right? I think you should look forward to a normal recovery and you will feel so much better!

Just about 6 weeks ago i was being 'direct' with my doctor and said, " And what is this thing sticking out here?!" ( cause both he and I know he sort of annoys me but he fixed me - so far - we are both still crossing our fingers).. Anyway the thing sticking out was just part of my tibia,... My leg had been swollen for so long and hurting so bad for so long, I totally forgot what normal was like!!! He and I both laughed because he NOW FINALLY understands why I was so "cranky" before and how this is a much better experience for me so far.:hysterical:

I am confident that you will feel normal again. This is a scary time for you. You TKR is loose, it is not your fault. This can be fixed. Find a new mantra, " I will get better!" I know you are going to finally recover after your revision!

Minnie

Sandy, I want you to know that I also follow your thread. You have been through so much and it is exciting to think that you may finally have a resolution to your pain. I know the idea of surgery is scary, but I like the idea of getting some positive statements to recite to yourself. Put 'em on the bathroom mirror, the frig, the front door even....wherever you will see them and think about the positive days that lie ahead for you.

I believe you will be more confident about the doctors' ability to deal with your pain once you have talked with your medical team. You know, we always say that waiting for the surgery is the most difficult part. And I think that is true even if you have had a joint replacement before. Everyone still has those concerns and worries pop up. Bring 'em here!!! We're always here for you!

Oh....and when you start to think that no one is following your saga....take a look at the number of "reads" on your thread. Right now (since it started on December 3, 2011), you have had 2357 hits. LOTS of people care about you and want to know how you're getting along!!

Hi Sandy

Sorry you feel so down. Please stay as positive as you can and take each day minute by minute. Try not to focus on the negatives, and focus on the positives. You can get through this and I'll try to keep coming back to help you along, I promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties