Antibiotic Recommendation Penicillin Allergy

Status
Not open for further replies.

rerodriguez

senior
I am going to be having a dental procedure in June. I had my hip replaced on June 29. Also, a very tiny hole in my heart was found during my pre-op appointment. I am allergic to Penicillin. For people allergic to Pencillin, my surgeon recommends 600 mg of Clindamycin one hour before the dental procedure. I really do not want to take this antibiotic (can have serious side effects), but the surgeon says this is my only option. My dentist says I need to do what the surgeon says. I have not yet checked with the cardiologist.

What have others who are allergic to Penicillin been prescribed?

Thank you!

Wow Rebecca! I just googled that drug and I don't blame you for not wanting to go anywhere near it! I'm going to tag Jo and see if she can advise you on something a bit less heavy duty.
@Josephine:

There are a lot of antibiotics that are quite different to penicillin.
Check with your pharmacist but it doesn't seem like Clindamycin is in the penicillin group.
I also react badly to penicillin but I can take lots of other abx without any problems.

Josephine,

I'm not concerned about having an allergic reaction to the Clindamycin. I'm more concerned about the C. diff. problems associated with it. I think I will talk to my pharmacist about alternatives to the Clindamycin, since the doctors seem to be at a loss. Thank you!

I am going to be having a dental procedure in June. I had my hip replaced on June 29. Also, a very tiny hole in my heart was found during my pre-op appointment. I am allergic to Penicillin. For people allergic to Pencillin, my surgeon recommends 600 mg of Clindamycin one hour before the dental procedure. I really do not want to take this antibiotic (can have serious side effects), but the surgeon says this is my only option. My dentist says I need to do what the surgeon says. I have not yet checked with the cardiologist.

What have others who are allergic to Penicillin been prescribed?

Thank you!

Hi

After my 1st hip replacement I took clindamycin twice, for dental treatment. I had no side-effects whatsoever. (I am allergic to erythromycin and amoxycillan).

Wendy

I'm allergic to penicillin and all the cephalosporins. I'm planning to take azithromycin for dental work.

Rebecca, I'm not understanding why you are so worried about the possibility of side effects from the Clindamycin. You are only taking a single dose as a preventive measure. It's not at all like taking the full round of the medication for 10-14 days.

Is there some particular reason why you are so worried? The information you read on any drug website or label can be pretty scary because they are required to list any possible "what if" there is.

I take it for all my dental issues and I've never had any problems...drugs always come w/ possible reactions and warnings...

xoxooxxo,
Linda

I'm more concerned about the C. diff. problems associated with it. I think I will talk to my pharmacist about alternatives to the Clindamycin, since the doctors seem to be at a loss.
The doctors seem at a loss because Clindamycin seems to have a record of being pretty safe! I've checked with my friendly pharmacist and he says he issues quite a lot of prescriptions for it but hasn't heard of any problems thus far.
I think you're worrying about a problem that is very low down in the probability ratings.

Thank you, everyone, for the reassurances and suggestions. I am neurotic. My father's fiance almost died from C. diff., so I freaked out when I read about that. I did find out that alternatives to the Clindamycin are Azithromycin or Clarithromycin. I am going to talk to my pharmacist to determine the best option for me.

C. Diff is no joke, but it is also probably not an issue for you. You are not taking the long term dosing that would increase your exposure. I was on antibiotics recently when my wife's grandmother (who we were care-taking as she has dementia) contracted c.diff. I helped care take this woman and did not end up with it (thank God). My wife, with the most direct contact (as you can imagine) did not contract it either. It is relatively hard to contract! Sometimes too much information makes us too careful! Taking probiotics while on antibiotics is a good idea any time you have to take them as a side note!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties