TKR Journey of a slow healer

Tentcamper

Country
United States United States
OMG, I did it! It would have been so much harder without all the comments and advice on this board. I knew what to expect, especially since I'm one of those over achievers. So all is well here on day four. The pharmacy didn't fill my drugs on time and I was without everything except oxycodone for a day. I was not a pleasant person to be around. Now that I have drugs it is so much better. I have to remember to eat, so Jello is my new best friend, along with Cherios. Most food is just unappealing. The pain is at tolerable levels and I am able to empty the cat box. So far, so good.

So glad to see you on the other side and doing mostly okay. My revision was on 24 May so I’m about a week ahead you. Keep posting about your experience. Think of this as a journal to capture your journey through recovery. It’s always good to have a history of what happen to reflect back on if you have another joint related surgery.

Good Luck with your recovery,

Christa

Welcome to Recovery and Congrats on your new knee!
By the way, which knee is it so we’re able to add that bit of info to your signature?

It sounds like you’re off to a good start.
I will leave our Recovery Guidlines which I feel you’ll find helpful as you begin the journey. Thanks for joining us on the healing side. I hope we hear from you again soon. All the best to you!

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Oh you are either brave or crazy having surgery so close together! Fortunately my other knee is in good shape so I shouldn't be having another surgery anytime soon. Good luck with the healing.

I have to remember to eat, so Jello is my new best friend, along with Cherios. Most food is just unappealing.
Yes, that happens. Just eat what you can. I found eating little bits of whatever appealed a few times a day worked better in the early days than trying to eat actual meals.

Yuo, and dried apricots to get those innards to chug along.

Hi Layla...it was my right knee. Question though. I've been sleeping around 12-15 hours a day. This is day four after surgery. Is this normal?

Thanks for the info!

I've been sleeping around 12-15 hours a day. This is day four after surgery. Is this normal?
Yes…normal. Many on this forum may be very envious of you. A lot suffer from insomnia post op.

Often there is a sleep deficit going into surgery either due to anxiety or discomfort / pain. Then there’s blood loss and also some of your meds may be contributing to it. Your body is recovering from the controlled trauma of a major surgery. Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial. And that’s what you’re doing! :yay: Our body does its best healing while we're sleeping. So snooze away.:yawn: :sleep:

I have read about all the insomnia and I feel badly for everyone suffering through it. I'm lucky I'm retired and can sleep when my body demands it. I'm also highly susceptible to medication. I don't take much more than herbal remedies. However Western medication also makes me extremely nauseous. No Bueno.

Day four report: I over did it yesterday and am paying for it today. My muscles were painful and I spent the day on the couch wiggling my toes. I always push myself hard but this is the most painful that it's been. I started using my trekking poles instead of my walker. They are easier for me to get around. I'm doing this recovery without anyone else here so everything takes three times as long to get it done. I can't get my TED hose back on my surgery leg if I take them off to shower but today I scrunched them down, put a bag over them, and took a shower. It was a major achievement but I think I'll do sponge baths going forward. I ate a little bit of lasagne for dinner. I still find jello and cheerios to be my favorite. I see my surgeon on Monday. If anyone in the Seattle area need a recommendation, I've got one. He is stellar!

Hi Layla...it was my right knee. Question though. I've been sleeping around 12-15 hours a day. This is day four after surgery. Is this normal?
whooo hooo

just enjoy your sleep, you will recover better than us probably,

Just stop ! I’m very jealous. Sleep is hard for most of us. Glad you made it through!

Marie

I over did it yesterday and am paying for it today. My muscles were painful and I spent the day on the couch wiggling my toes. I always push myself hard but this is the most painful that it's been
Please try not to overdo. You are very, very early in this recovery and your body needs times to heal. You've been through a huge surgery. Your mantra for the next couple of weeks should be sleep, elevate and ice -- repeat!

This is a long recovery and you can't speed it up by pushing yourself, especially in the early day. Slow and steady wins in this race!

Good luck at your doctor's appointment today. Let us know how it goes.

My surgeon is pleased with my progress. He took the pressure bandage off and now I'm down to steri strips. He let me take the TED stocking off my nonsurgical leg but I have to keep it on my surgical leg for a month. I'm still pretty swollen so it's rest, elevate and ice four or five times a day. I'm off all meds except Tylenol, aspirin and the last bit of my antibiotics. All in all, not bad.

Your surgeon being pleased with your progress is good! That reassurance always helps.
I hope you have a great week! Thanks for sharing an update!
@Tentcamper

With my surgery 8 days ago, I now have questions! I've just been too tired to ask them. And I have now joined the ranks of zombies up at 1 AM. I pop couple zquil and can sleep a little.

My first question is about doing too much too fast. I have a vacation planned six weeks after surgery and I'd like to hear opinions on whether it is doable to drive two hours and climb two sets of stairs. I know everyone is different but I truly have no clue if I'm setting unrealistic expectations.

Second question..my knee sort of shifts/soft pops when I walk around. It doesn't feel like it's unstable but is this normal? It doesn't do this when my foot is pointed straight foreword, just when it is slanted a bit to the side.

Number three...I'm getting spasms in the muscles around my knee. I'm not in pain but it feels weird. Is this normal?

And lastly...my swelling is going down unevenly. It looks like one side is sort of a deflated balloon and the other is the normal rounded swelling. Is that ok?

Thanks for working through such a long post. I'm excited to see some reduction in swelling today!

Hi @Tentcamper. In answer to your questions: maybe, yes, yes and yes!

Q1: A 2-hour drive at 6 weeks post-op may be manageable -- IF someone else is doing the driving. Many surgeons will not clear Right TKR patients to drive until week 6. Even then, you may not feel secure enough in your knee to risk having to suddenly slam on the brakes. (I didn't!). As far as the two flights of stairs -- yes, you should be able to do that -- but expect to do it slowly.

Q2: Yes, many of us experience popping, clicking and other sensations in our implant. Mine lasted for a year! As long as you don't have intense pain or feel instability, it's nothing to worry about. Here's some more information: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/clicking-clunking-knee-joint-after-surgery.13534/

Q3: Spasm, zingers and other odd sensitives in the soft tissue and nerves are not only normal, they are a sign of healing.

Q4: For most of us, the swelling comes and goes in different places at different stages of recovery. Remember that your surgeon disturbed all the muscles, tendons, etc. in that poor leg and it takes months for everything to settle down.

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to ask more questions!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts