Knee Infection* Adieu

I’m happy to share that my two week post - surgery follow up went well this morning.

Everything looks great. I now have two functioning knees!

I’ll have healing pain for a few months and will use discretion in managing it.

I’ve moved from a walker to one crutch for two more weeks and have driving privileges.

This is a long awaited day :)

Now that’s the kind of news we love to hear! Congratulations and hope the healing continues on a basically straight path in the coming months.

Thanks. I was grateful for this website as I went through this long process.

Beyond a lot of common sense advice, this site offers things that medical providers can’t offer: Inspirational insight and advice from those who have lived through it, and who are willing to help others deal with the doubt, disenchantment, and despair that one must endure during this journey.

Best wishes to everyone who is recovering, or is recovered

Guy

Thank you for the kind words. Please consider donating to BoneSmart if you feel we have been a help to you. We depend completely on donations in order to keep our website and forum up and running and would appreciate any support you can provide.

I’ll look forward to reading your progress reports. Please let us know how it’s going!

What a thoughtful post, Jazzerguy! Thanks for taking the time to share such kind words.
I hope you'll stick around for awhile longer and continue to note progress here. It's delightful to read and an inspiration for all following behind you. Best wishes only!
@Jazzerguy54

Thanks.

There are always caveats.

Here’s mine: 1) Sleeping is still a theory at this point. I am woken by searing pain in calf and behind knee. Hydrocodone doesn’t stifle it. I’ve tried sleep aids, war chants, random curses and yet it persists. I simply have to outlive this healing period.

2) Walking with one crutch is odd. It resulted from having a femur that is “hard as marble” as I was told. When the doc attached femoral component, it created a hairline crack. So the crutch is suppose to minimize impact when i move around.

Ironically, as most here know, moving around is essential to healing and strengthening the knee - and for suppressing that night pain.

Doc didn’t seem to overly concerned and said I won’t even feel it.

Minor grievances

My last post described the great success with knee # 2 surgery earlier this month.

Knee number one in January was the last of 5 surgeries in 3 years on a revision knee. It’s stable and strong with 150 degree flexion.

Number two was completed 3 weeks ago. The surgery went well. Great doc. Very minimal swelling - but with soft tissue issues.

This one was bone on bone. As a result, my leg had been angled outward for some time. The soft tissues remodels to the angle and creates a “Valgus deformity”. Mine was a grade 2 at 14 degrees of correction.

When they install the implant they correct spacing and straightness, which also brought searing nerve pain and a complete sleep free night.

I was prescribed Gabapentin to relieve pain and it worked. Pain meds WILL NOT work on nerve pain.

Today I’m progressing at three weeks, but sleep remains evasive with ever changing calf and knee pain. Back of knee is better. It was tough.

I’m at 2 degrees extension and 128 degree flexion. Taking the bone smart approach with my stretching exercises!

Best wishes to all

@Jazzerguy54 Best wishes with this second knee!

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:

Here’s a refresher course:

Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Today I’m progressing at three weeks, but sleep remains evasive with ever changing calf and knee pain.
Jazzerguy, I am sorry your sleep hasn’t regulated yet. If sleep remains elusive, consider Magnesium.

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Best Wishes for a nice holiday weekend and hope you catch some solid restorative rest soon. :yawn: :sleep:

Hi Jazzerguy,
Four Months to date since the Right TKR Revision. Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope you had a nice holiday weekend and have a great rest of the week!
@Jazzerguy54

Thanks Layla.

The journey continues.

Happily, I am back at work today for the first time in a month without a walker or crutch, following the smalls hairline fracture that developed during the replacement.

The longer-term barrier is nerve and soft tissue pain, which resulted from a Valgus deformity. (Worth reading about for folks here with bone- on- bone issues)

I had a 14° correction and am faced with sciatic nerve pain and compression. This too will pass.

My TENS electric stimulation unit has been a savior!

Best wishes to everyone.

Thanks for the update, Jazzerguy!
I hope work is easy on you and you’re able to get the rest you need once you’re back home. I wish you all the best and hope you’ll continue to share your healing journey with us.
Happy Wednesday!
@Jazzerguy54

If anyone has the secret to sleeping with nerve pain, I’m all ears. Managed about 1 hour last night. Ironic that my focus isn’t on the knee, but on the pain radiating from my glutes to my ankle. I can only hope this resides over time. I’m blessed in so many ways, but this otherwise promising recovery has been the wellspring of all my bad karma

Have you talked to your surgeon or family doc about getting a refill on Gabapentin? You had success with it previously. Perhaps a bit more to get this pain settled?

Thanks. I’ve been taking it. The effect wore off after about a week, even with 300mg x 3

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
iriswest
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom