THR Diamond77 on the recovery side

Hello! Thank you for the anniversary wishes. Hard to believe it has been two months. Things feel pretty good for the most part. I actually stopped by to see if anyone can advise me on some pain I’ve been having. I’m now two months out, but there is still pain when I lift my leg in a forward, knee up position. As in putting on pants, lifting it to get into the car, etc. My next appointment with my OS isn’t until mid-July. At the last appointment he said everything looked good on X-ray and that I was progressing nicely. I guess I just would have expected that pain to be gone, and I’m not sure what it all means.

Also, the numbness at the incision site is annoying. About how long did that take (if at all) for that to go away?

At my next visit I’m probably going to see about getting on the schedule to have my other side done. I’m amazed at how quickly it has deteriorated in just the span of about 5 months. I want to get it done because my mental health is really taking a hit. I miss so many things and I’ve gained weight because I’m not able to even go for many walks due to the left side being so icky now. I just want my life back. My kids are missing out, my husband too. Plus, might as well get it done in the same deductible period!

Discomfort at only 2 months out is totally normal. Especially if your other hip is giving you grief! I agree - get that side done and get on with living.

Numbness on the incision side will take awhile to ease. Nerves need to reconnect and that can take awhile.

Hang in there - all this eases with time!

You’re a week ahead of me. I‘m the same with putting on pants, etc. Numbness? My first knee is almost four years old and I’m still numb in spots! I figured it went with the territory!

Marie

Also, the numbness at the incision site is annoying. About how long did that take (if at all) for that to go away?
It can take months and as you see noted above with Inked Marie, even years. Josephine, BoneSmarts retired nurse, once shared that she had an area of numbness for five years! I’m certainly not saying it will take that long. I just read of another member yesterday who is several years post op and still has a little numbness. I noticed mine kept shrinking in area until it was gone, I feel completely by nine months.

I‘m sorry you have to have your other hip replaced and that it’s causing your mental health to take a hit. Now is the time, you’re as young as you’ll ever be and now that you know the ropes through experience, hopefully it will make your next recovery feel even easier. You, your hubs and kids will all benefit. Wishing you comfort as you schedule and wait for your new date. Let us know when it’s scheduled and we’ll add it to your signature and support you through it all.
Best Wishes!
@Diamond77

I'll just add that after 4months my hip still has numbness now and then. I had ankle surgery 3 years ago and to this day my last two toes go numb now and then. Some nerves just never reconnect is what I was told.
I'm sorry you are feeling down and who can blame you having to have another surgery and trying to recover also with young family.
Hang in there, it will get better, I found I fell into depression off and I just wanted to get on with life.
Especially if you enjoy an active lifestyle which I did but things are much better now.
All my best.

I'm at 9 weeks and I have the the same type of issues, pain in the front (hip flexors/psoas if I had to venture a guess), numbness at the incision site and I have numbness from the LFC nerve. My doctor tells me the thigh numbness should go away over time and having had radial nerve palsy I know that nerves take a long time to heal. I've had scars that have taken what seems like forever to stop being numb so I figure that's fairly normal. I'm feeling fairly confident my discomfort today is recovering trauma from the incision area as I had the anterior approach coupled with the fact that area was sore from the bad hip prior to the surgery. Hang in there, as my OS told me at my last visit, it's still early in recovery!

Hello everyone. I hope you are all recovering well. I had my right THR in mid-April, so I’m just about 3 1/2 months out right now. I’m writing because…well…I’m just not progressing to where I want to be. By now I would have hoped to be completely pain free but that’s not the case. I have pain on start up - raising my leg as if to bring it up to the knee is the worst, but I’m still not able to put clothes on without some sort of pain, and getting into a car “normally” feels like a far off dream. At my follow up earlier this month my OS said it will go away with time. I have to believe it will, but it’s hard being patient. I just desperately want to feel good again. And I know I still have a very long way to go because…..

My left hip has completely gone to pot. A year ago it was fine. Started feeling a bit twingy in March this year but now it’s just constant pain. It’s doing the same junk my right used to do. Shooting, unpredictable pain with any kind of movement-even just moving in bed. I don’t sleep well because of the arthritis pain, which aches all the time. More than my right ever did. I am shocked at how last year’s X-ray was normal, and now it shows bone on bone arthritis. I just can’t believe how fast it went. My OS isn’t even going to bother with further imaging. He just said I can replace it whenever I’m ready. I need to get it scheduled.

I just want my life back!!!! My mental state is terrible right now, mostly over the fact my right side still isn’t pain free, and the fact my left side is shot and I have to endure another surgery/recovery. But also, I just can’t do much of anything. My kids are missing out, my husband too. I have a brand new bike that sits there. Can’t ride because of the pain. Can’t go for long walks with my kids, can’t go to the zoo or parks without paying for it for days afterward. I feel extra fat and gross because I can’t work out at all, and I haven’t been making the best food choices either. I’m edgy with everyone. Simple things anger me so much. I dropped some clothes I was going to put away for my kids which is not a big deal…at all…but it made me so mad because I meant extra steps and having to bend and feel the pain. I just can’t stand this anymore. I know the left THR would get rid of the arthritic pain but since my right side still hurts even after replacement has me feeling very bleak and pessimistic.

Anyway, this is more of just a vent in my safe place for all things hip related. Best of luck to you all on your recoveries!

Diamond77, I hear and feel your frustration as I am just a few weeks ahead of you with my Left TKR. The emotional ups and downs and uncertainty of if and when life will be back to normal is certainly waring. 3 weeks ago I tore the meniscus in my other knee while doing very little, which has set me back. It seems to be like snakes and ladders. Just as you climb a ladder you land on a snake and slide right back down. I have come to realise that 1 year healing time is a more realistic marker to set my sights on. It seems a long way off, but day by day and little by little I notice small improvements. Knowing this helps but there will still be days when it just gets you down and the pain and uncertainty drives you to tears. I hope this helps you realise that you are not alone in all this.

I’m just not progressing to where I want to be.
You are progressing - but unfortunately there is no rushing this recovery. Still early days in a process that can take one year or longer.

I would focus on getting that other hip done. Then you can recover fully. Until that hip is done you will still be walking all wrong trying to stay off it.

Just remember - this is all temporary. Hubby and kids need to be reminded as well. There will be family time when you can be active. Right now you just need to be allowed to recover.

I'm so sorry that the left hip is giving you so much trouble. It's hard enough, let alone with young kids to consider.
Can your OS or PCP recommend any kind of arthritis or pain med to give you some relief, even if it only takes the edge off, until you get a replacement scheduled? Another big surgery so soon probably wasn't on your radar a few months ago, but you know arthritis isn't going to improve, and by getting it gone soon you'll be in a much better place before long. Not in weeks post op long, but by next summer all the trouble and pain will be a memory like a bad dream.

If it helps, maybe my experience as a mom and grandma can be a crystal ball for you. My kids are middle aged people now, and my first granddaughter is all grown up; the younger one is in high school. We did "big" family things when they were young, and of course they remember vacations and that sort of thing. But what they talk about and hold close are small moments. Maybe you can find ways to make big memories with small things too. I would have cupcake bakings and let the kids decorate them any way they wanted...like with gobs of sprinkles and awful to me, but exciting to then, icing colors. Occasionally I'd make sure lunch was more like a healthful dinner, and then go out to a creamery for Ice Cream For Dinner! Night. Once in a while we'd go through old family photos and tell them stories about the grandma and grandpas they never knew. Backyard campfires, staying up late and watching the night sky worked well.
Little quiet times can make big loud memories.
My kids did things with just their dad/grandpa also, and it was good for all involved. Sometimes it made me nervous, but overall letting them develop and deepen their relationship without me hovering served its own unique purpose.
This is a painful time for you, both physically and emotionally, as a mom and a wife. Please know that better times are coming, and your family can get stronger by you all leaning on each other, and letting them help you as you are there for them.

I'm sorry you're feeling so overwhelmed. I do agree that while you'll continue to progress with more time, enduring another THR sooner, rather than later may really benefit you and your family. One recovery will roll into the other once surgery is behind you. It may very well be the answer to the slower progress you're understandably frustrated with. Consider starting small to begin working through all that's bothering you. Make a healthy grocery list, choose healthier menu selections, and try to prepare healthier meals at home. You'll feel better and at least it's a start. Get outdoors in nature to breathe the fresh air, taking in the sights and sounds. Take tolerable short walks, or trips to a park where the kids can burn some energy and you can soak in some sunshine. I do agree with, subie, above that there are so many things you can do with kids that don't involve a lot of painful activity for you. If young, your kids won't remember this time or any boredom they felt while you were healing. I'm guessing this is harder on you, than them. I hope today feels brighter than yesterday. Hang in there, it will get better!
@Diamond77

As an RTHR person, I send you solidarity and comfort and I salute you for your fortitude. Truly.

Okay, now that I have said that, let's deal with the issue you face.

Your feelings about your RTHR recovery are completely understandable. I agree that you are probably making more progress than you realize. After my RTHR I kept a post-recovery journal to record my feelings. I included a grid to assess my progress ratings on pain, mobility, and successful performance of ADL. This journaling and entries in a grid may help you to better "see" your progress. It may be more infinitesimal than you like but still is progress just the same.

Please be kind to yourself. HR is major surgery. Recovery and healing are individual for everyone. Also, what advice do your surgeon and PA have to offer?

I agree with others that proceeding with the LTHR may the way to go, but this is for you to decide.

We at BS are your "hippie" friends. Talk to us!

I totally sympathize with how you are feeling. As a former Director of a Montessori school and a mom of two girls I cannot imagine how hard this recovery is for you and having young kids at home. My girls are grown now but they still manage to annoy me (everyone annoyed me when I was in pain!!). It is completely understandable. Especially now that your other hip needs doing and you are still recovering from your first one. You have every right to feel discouraged right now.

I think at 3 months there is still more healing to be done. I believe it does take a full year to feel like back to normal. That said you are probably doing way more now that you were doing at 1 month. I am sure your husband would agree. The recovery is just never as fast as we want it to be unfortunately and I learned that the hard way. Try to do things that you can do and enjoy doing but try not to be the hero and do all the housework. I know us moms want to be super human but it simply is not attainable-not under normal circumstances but especially not when recovering from major surgery. Ask for help when you need it. Its better for your moral and your relationship with your husband to be frank with him that you need time to rest or help with the kids etc...than to snap at everyone (which I did too btw). Give yourself the space to heal a little more and then when you are ready to-tackle the other hip. Sending you lots of positive energy as we all go through this process.

Hi D77! I'm about a week ahead of you and I'm having pain with my hip flexor/psoas as well and like you thought I'd be "pain free" by month three. 8 times out of 10 I have to assist my leg when getting into the vehicle and putting on my pants is uncomfortable to varying degrees depending on the day. I know I I still have a long way to go as other muscles and soft tissue (glutes, adductors, etc...) around the hip are still stiff and sore and I need to stretch, massage and gently exercise them nearly every day, sometimes multiple times a day. I too get a bit discouraged, however, I can walk more than 20 steps without the same pain as I had prior to my surgery... a win there! I've noticed that walking is indeed helping, but amazingly slowly...
My OS tells me there are issues with the other side too. Luckily I've not had any issues with it... yet.

Hope you're feeling better today!!!!

Hello everyone. It has been a while since I have visited. Long story short, had my first hip done in April 2022. Thanks to the amazing encouragement and advice from the people here, everything went well and this began my recovery. In December 2022 I had my second hip done. That one felt even better than the first! It still feels better now, even though my first was done a little over a year ago.

Anyway, wondering if any of you have experienced the problem I’m about to describe. I’ve mentioned this to my OS but he doesn’t seem to be sure what it is. When I bend at the waist and straighten back up, sometimes I have a horrible pain that I can best describe as locking. It hurts until I straighten up into a standing position. I also experience this pain when standing on one leg in a bent over position. Examples I can give are loading dishes in the dishwasher - you bend over to place dishes in the bottom rack then stand back up. Getting dressed - to put on shorts or pants, you bend at the waist, bear weight on one leg, then stand back up. And maybe slightly TMI, but shaving legs in the shower. One foot is up, bent at the waist, etc etc.

I’ve had an MRI on my first hip because I was experiencing pain in the psoas tendon (doctor thought I put a lot of strain on it pre-surgery). I did have tendinitis and bursitis near that tendon which was treated with a cortisone injection. Anyway, the MRI showed the joint replacement looked totally fine.

Just wondering if anyone here has felt something like this and what your OS might have determined it to be. I really hope this isn’t going to be my life forever. Im in my mid 40s with two active kids at home. I need to keep up! Thanks!!!

Hello Diamond,
Welcome back, nice to hear from you! I am sorry that I don't have any advice, but hopefully someone will come along that is able to relate to your issue. The only thing I will add is that if you're unhappy with your result, continue to be concerned and you're not receiving any satisfaction from your surgeon, consider a second opinion from a reputable OS unrelated to your current surgeon's practice. I understand your apprehension given your young age and lifestyle with two active kids under your care. I wish you the best and hope you stay in touch to let us know how you're doing.
@Diamond77

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member