THR Break on through..

As I hit the 6-week post-op mark, I was wondering when people have started kneeling and/or sitting on the floor again? Any problems? Any warnings? Any tips?

Wishing everyone all the best. :happyfeet:

Regards,
Camille

Hi @NewShoes! Congrats on hitting your six week milestone. I'm at a month, so a couple weeks behind you. I'm still within my restrictions period, but can get down onto the floor just fine. To get down, I stagger my operated leg behind my non-op leg so that I'm not breaking my 90º rule. I can sit with my legs out in front of me (more comfortably if I'm leaning back on my hands or elbows a bit), but won't attempt cross-legged positions until I'm cleared by my surgeon (around another month). Once I'm down, I can kneel and also work on PT things on my hands and knees. I try to be mindful at all times about my op leg's position, but so far haven't had any issues. I rely on my non-op leg to help me return to standing as well. Is this helpful? We are all at such different places with our restrictions at this stage, so hoping you can adapt my descriptions to your current physical abilities/constraints!

Hi @NewShoes! Congrats on hitting your six week milestone. I'm at a month, so a couple weeks behind you. I'm still within my restrictions period, but can get down onto the floor just fine. To get down, I stagger my operated leg behind my non-op leg so that I'm not breaking my 90º rule. I can sit with my legs out in front of me (more comfortably if I'm leaning back on my hands or elbows a bit), but won't attempt cross-legged positions until I'm cleared by my surgeon (around another month). Once I'm down, I can kneel and also work on PT things on my hands and knees. I try to be mindful at all times about my op leg's position, but so far haven't had any issues. I rely on my non-op leg to help me return to standing as well. Is this helpful? We are all at such different places with our restrictions at this stage, so hoping you can adapt my descriptions to your current physical abilities/constraints!
Congrats! I've been trying to picture in my mind how to get down on the floor. Your description makes sense and is very helpful.

I've been bending past 90 degrees for about a week now under the guidance of my PT. Haven't crossed over the leg yet either.

I still can't believe that pre-op hip pain is gone.

Thanks for your response.

Happy healing. :yes!:

Regards,
Camille

@NewShoes Ask your PT to help you with this. They will have tips depending on your own situation and any restrictions. The trick is getting down and up gracefully without falling or bumping into something. Always have a surface to hold on to so that you can lower and raise yourself slowly.

Well, it's been 12 weeks. I made it through the "danger zone" without incident.

All I can say is I wish I was allowed to have the replacement when I was first diagnosed with a labral tear and spur in 2010 instead of letting it devolve over a decade-plus into avascular necrosis.

My tips:
1) I did the initial post-op PT for about 2 months before I had the surgery. Now, obviously, I couldn't fully execute them, so I just cautiously did what I could to try to wake up those muscles that were dormant.
2) Bonesmart. :console2:
3) Be careful with post-op PT. I lucked out and was assigned a very skilled, realistic and compassionate PT.
4) Time is on your side. The first couple of weeks can be pretty stressful but it will get better...eventually.

And, BTW, me and the toilet are still not on speaking terms after she tried to sabotage my recovery. :hissy:

I just want to thank everyone for helping me through this time. Your responses were invaluable. :thankyou:

Regards,
Camille

Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member