Revision THR Second times a charm?

Welcome to the Healing Side, @Sockeyewillie! Even though this is to your first hip surgery, I will share our recovery guidelines as a reminder.

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs

The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thanks. I don’t think I was in the forum when I had my first attempt.

I’ve been out of surgery for 4.5 hours. I’ve been up twice to pee and feel really good. I feel like I could move without the walker but I’m not gonna do that. I’m 110 lbs lighter than 3 years ago when we tried it the first time. I just had dinner. The hospital food was really good. They were great at accommodating the diet that got me to my current weight. My pain level is markedly less than I remember from the initial replacement. I could be doing this from home at this point but my wife and daughter deserve a night off and my insurance pre approved 1night stay. And I could use 1 night of rest with the kind of care this hospital provides. York Hospital in York,Maine. I’ve seen the menu and look forward to breakfast.

Congrats and welcome to the healing side! I understand about the stay! I was afforded a 2 night stay and glad I had it to give my hubby a break. After my surgery, they had trouble getting me comfortable so I’m glad I didn’t subject him to that. Blessings that your recovery continues to be smooth sailing and your discomfort at a minimum. We’ll be looking forward to your next update.

Great first update! Congrats on that weight loss, you must feel light as a feather this time around. Well, a feather with a log leg that is. :wink:
Safe travels home tomorrow. I hope your recovery is easy peasy!
@Sockeyewillie

Congrats on new hip and remarkable weight loss!
Keep us posted.

I’m headed home at 11 am EST. Looking forward to my lazy boy and some good coffee.

Safe travels! There is no place like home...as you know. Sounds like you'll be in good hands there with lots of loving care.

Let us know how the trek home went once your resting comfortably. Those first outings can be tiring.
:wave:

I’ve made it home. It is a 1/2 hour ride and I started feeling nauseous as we got into our driveway. I barely got up the 5 stairs without passing out. My team had to grab a chair and a bucket as soon as we got into the entry way. I was sweating profusely and my vision got blurry. They grabbed a wetted face cloth and started in on my neck and forehead. It took about 5 minutes for everything to calm down. I made to my lazy boy and had some food and Tylenol. Feeling better. I’ll update later.

Easy does it @Sockeyewillie ! Your body is still in shock from all the trauma. Slow and steady and keep hydrated. Welcome home!

Yup. It was just the journey home. I’m sure my BP dropped. I’m good now.

Whoa! That must have been a bit unnerving. It happens though. Certainly not the first tine I've read that.
I am happy to read you're resting comfortably at home. I hope you have a peaceful evening!
@Sockeyewillie

Day 2: better night. Several 2 hour jags of sleep. Icing every 2 hours for as long as it lasts. I have learned a lot here. I made the mistake of “training” instead of healing last time. I’m not sure if it caused or even contributed to the pain that just never went away. But I’m focused on healing from the surgery before I do anything that resembles training and even then my focus will be to get back to walking my GSD Max. He already misses me. You can see the concern in his face when he sees me using my walker. More later. Thanks all

I have learned a lot here. I made the mistake of “training” instead of healing last time. I’m not sure if it caused or even contributed to the pain that just never went away.
Good lesson learned! I think having this mindset will make a difference in your recovery.
Happy Saturday! Glad you had some restorative rest.

Mid-day 2: had a morning nap, woke up feeling better. I’m taking everything they gave me and icing frequently. Just spent 10 minutes walking around the floor with my walker. Back in the recliner icing. I hope I don’t bore you all with constant updates.

I'm enjoying your updates, I think all of us here have been where you are right now.
I walk rescue dogs and I hear what you are saying about your GSD giving you a look, "like what happened to my Dad?"
We have a "rental" cat that stops in to eat now and then and when I was on walker and cane he/she was a little nervous about the apparatus.
You are approaching your recovery just the way you should. I'd get up every few hours take a few spins around the dining table, grab a snack and back to bed.
My primary told me it's better to do 10 minute walks 3x's a day rather than try and do the entire 30 at once.
Keep the updates coming.

But I’m focused on healing from the surgery before I do anything that resembles training and even then my focus will be to get back to walking my GSD Max.
This is a great approach. Heal first and the training and strength building will follow. Added plus is your goal to spend time with your four footed friend.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts