THR Onwards and upwards

Uk Hippie

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
It's done!
I'm soooo relieved. I was extremely anxious before the op, would it go well, would the GA be okay? Etc. Whe I came round in recovery, the first thing I heard was my OS saying ' operation went well, all done, you have a new hip', and I just felt relief.....now I can get better.
Day zero was mixed. I was in Theatre admission lounge quite a while as the 'que' was delayed a bit, felt rather like your flight being delayed due to bad weather. All staff were just... Great, obviously used to terrified patients. Special shout out to my anesthetist who 'promised to look after me well' and he did.
I came back from recovery eventually about 7.30pm on day zero, do not much other than saline drip, introduction to bed pan usage, some sandwiches, tea and sleep. One thing ive learnt is knowing when you need a pee is unreliable, 3.30am in the night time thought.. hmmm maybe I need a bed, maybe I can wait till breakfast, but the bed next to me asked anyway so I thought I may as well, save staff coming twice and I've never pee' d so much in my life.

Anyway........

Day 1.
Found I'm okay lying down! After washes in bed, and beakfast, physios came and got me up, move from bed to chair. This was tough. Went dizzy, felt sick, felt 'detached' only just managed it. Spent quite a while sat in the chair. Blood pressure a bit low. I only felt sick when standing though.
Later in the day tried a zimmer to the toilet and back, again dizzy and faint and weepy....but okay when sat back down. Very strange feeling. At the end of day 1, I'm now feeling a bit better, I can just about get myself from bed to zimmer and shuffle along and back...its very tiring! But I remind myself this is only 24 hours after surgery. I feel I've achieved something today. I think ...take the small victories, they are in the right direction, its only day 1. Onwards and upwards

Welcome to the Healing Side, @Uk Hippie! We're glad you are here and will help in any way we can as you travel your recovery journey.

For now, I will share our BoneSmart tips for recovery. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind we are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs

The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better.
They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Day 2 was strange. Felt rather 'run over '. Any effort such as walking to the loo and back made me lightheaded. Bp was a bit low, and really thirsty all the time. Nurses say drink lots of water. Anyone else feel 'weepy'? It's not 'sad', just literally a wobbly face and leaking tears when walking to the loo, or feeling 'weak'.

To me it sounds like you’re being whalopped by the anesthetics @Uk Hippie. And yes I drank SO much water, was thirsty constantly. Also STARVING. How’s your appetite? With your blood pressure being low I want you to be eating.

@LaKarune ,I'm drinking loads of water, and tea. I had nothing to eat on day zero at all and ended up back from theatre at 7 30pm. Eaten full meals on day 1 and 2. I don't feel hungry at all now in the morning if day 3, but my bp has come up to 118 over 68. I've had 2 lots of lactulose yesterday, and hoping that will encourage a stool, as I have no inclination to pass one and feel things are 'backing up'. I think that should make me feel better?

Everything is so tiring. I woke up on day 3 today feeling...ooo good to go.....Sat in my chair next to bed ( short walk to pass urine on my own was fine), after an hour of sitting, opted to return to bed as tired out.

I was at work full time last week. Its a shock to go from that to all energy reserved for toilet activities, never mind worrying about not having a bowel movement since day zero.

Its a shock to go from that to all energy reserved for toilet activities, never mind worrying about not having a bowel movement since day zero.
Your body is spending all its energy on healing and recovering from major trauma. Please don't worry - all will balance very soon.

Lots of fluids. Ask the nurses for stool softeners if you think you need them. Very early days!

Hi @Uk Hippie Congratulations on your new hip. :yay:
I vaguely remember the low BP and how 'out of it' I was after the GA for my first hip replacement. Everything you describe sounds normal. The fatigue is real and will continue for some some time as you recover - your body has been through a major trauma and is putting a lot of effort into restabilising your system and healing your wounds.
Take it easy and rest or sleep when you need to. Wishing you all the best - onwards and upwards for sure :)

Day 4. I'm home now btw. Getting in to car was tricky but getting out much easier.

Feeling much better now regarding the spontaneous 'weeping'. Hardly any really. I've decided to embrace it and think of it as the operation equivalent of 'drunk texting'.

Now I'm home napping is easy. On the downside ( some may argue upside), I slept through the entire Eurovision song contest which family was watching on TV. They were round to keep me company ..I was out ike a light and slept incredibly well, and have no knowledge of it whatsoever apart from Croatia was on when I went for a wee.

Just hoping to give hope and encouragement to anyone else who's feeling rough like my day 2. Drink lots if fluids, wee whenever and use the trip for a little wander around. And nap like a cat.

I have 3 'bed excercises' to do , I'm managing 2 of them, the physios said no worries, the 3rd movement will come, it's just rest, walk and move as I feel to at first.

I have 3 standing exercises to do, which i may possibly try tomorrow if i feel a bit more awake. Im on some opiates for another 3 days that make you drowsy.

If anyone is wondering about getting a magic gel hip ice pack, I'd highly recommend! Bought one as a bit of a panic buy just before going in, but is actually wonderful one you get them on.
i will keep using this going forwards, maybe I should have bought 2 packs, they don't last very long but when on are heavenly.

I was wondering....anyone get a clunking noise ( very faint) when putting operated leg forwards? Just noticed it for the first time today. Daughter can hear it if she concentrates, hubs can't hear anything. No extra pain when it 'cluncks'. Just feels weird.

anyone get a clunking noise ( very faint) when putting operated leg forwards
You will feel/hear all sorts of clicks, pops and clunking in the early days. All the muscles and soft tissues are eased away from the joint to install the implant. These areas just need to tighten around the joint again. Please don't worry. This will ease with time.

Clunk happens to many of us, it will go away with healing. Movements are one thing, exercises at this point are really not logical. 1 ice pack would have just made me mad that I didn't buy a lot more. For me icing was a continuous thing as it felt so good.

Low BP very common after this surgery, we lose a lot of blood.
Weepy will come and go, I had bouts of it first 3 months or so but I cry easily, happy tears, sad tears, touching commercial tears, new puppy tears...LOL!
Welcome to the healing side, stay in touch.

Clunk happens to many of us, it will go away with healing. Movements are one thing, exercises at this point are really not logical. 1 ice pack would have just made me mad that I didn't buy a lot more. For me icing was a continuous thing as it felt so good.
Thanks Eman 85. My excercises given by pt are quite minimal and basically are movement. I don't intend doing any workouts.....couldn't even if I wanted to. If I had a broken leg I wouldn't, so im moving basically to stop stiffness setting in, basically a short walk around the home

The question is what movements? Some are good like ankle pumps to relieve boredom and keep blood flowing. Some can be detrimental like leg lifts and bridges in early weeks and months.

Feeling much better now regarding the spontaneous 'weeping'. Hardly any really. I've decided to embrace it and think of it as the operation equivalent of 'drunk texting'.
I sure remember those early hard and emotional days after surgery....
I'm sorry this made me giggle out loud!
Perfect analogy!:heehee:

Congratulations on your new hip ☀️

I was also feeling faint in the first 24 hours. Drinking loads of fluids helps to raise the BP, so your body intuitively is guiding you down the right path :) In the hospital my juice also tasted a bit salty. Another help: sodium! The nurses were very sneaky ;)

Wishing you a good recovery ✨

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft