THR Rick’s new hip!

Thanks Bevelina, and good luck to you! I'll be sending positive thoughts your way :) Frustrating that you've had to deal with a last minute cancellation, I'm sorry. I can only imagine that must have been quite demoralizing to get yourself ready emotionally, and have to reset.

Tanvat, you've made it thru the first week, congratulations! I've been following your recovery thread, it seems we've a few things in common. My first week sucked, and I was not mentally prepared for that magnitude of suck. It's been easier since, but certainly no cake-walk. I had a considerable amount of time (years) before my surgery to get ready, how could I not have anticipated the reality I experienced? Because I filtered the data... yup, those rose colored glasses :) I focused on the (few) positive/easy recovery experiences, which are of course the exception. I am fairly young, healthy, active and reasonably fit...why would my recovery be anything but easier and quicker than most? And I visualized my post-surgery self as quickly reclaiming my previous very active lifestyle without the limits imposed by a worn out hip. These last 4 weeks have been a proper dose of reality for me, and it turns out I am not special. Patience and perspective.

I'm in the Cheyenne area, but find myself passing thru Laramie regularly. Wyoming really is a special place, and I'm lucky to call it home. I am confident both you and I will be pursuing new adventures... in due time.

Double check with your doctor before you get the pedicure, @RoosterRick. My doctor wouldn't clear me for one until 3 months because he considers pedicures high-risk for infection.

Happy One Month Anniversary!
Wishing you a great weekend.

Don't like to be a Debbie Downer, but please give careful consideration to a pedicure right now.
I found this online after I was advised against salon mani /pedis by my surgeon.

The basins of pedicure chairs can be drained out after each client, and even sprayed with disenfectant. However the real hidden issue has to do with what goes down the drain. In fact, the screens and tubes of foot spas often harbor biofilm, which is basically layers of cells and proteins which can be hard to remove and more importantly, cultivate bacterial growth from other people's skin or the water supply (in certain areas). So what this means is, even a little wipe down isn't doing much since it's all the debris you can't see in the filtration and drain systems which is the real problem. You have to ensure that the basins and the inner workings are disinfected after each use and cleaned nightly. Many cities regulate the cleaning procedures and require salons to keep cleaning logs. You can also opt for a salon or spa which does their pedicures in basins without drains; they'll use very large bowls instead which simply have to be cleaned and disinfected after each use.
@RoosterRick

As a monthly pedicure person, my advice is DO IT! :wink: It is such a great pampering experience.

Interesting that getting hit by a car hurt less than THR. I don’t feel like such a baby now. Haha!

Oops, I just noticed people advising against pedicures. I waited 2 months after my first THR. It went fine without incident, but I know there is a risk of infection! I also had my teeth cleaned and declined the big dose of antibiotics the dentist offered in advance. My surgeon recommends antibiotics before teeth cleaning, but I read about it and the ADA has been advising against that practice since 2014.

Many of the pedicure places now line the basin with a plastic covering prior to filling it up with water and bath soaking product.
I've gone for several pedicures over the last year simply cause I couldn't reach my toes to cut my toenails!
I guess just depends on where you go and the level of the hygiene at that establishment.

I went to a podiatrist instead (before three months for sure because my toenails desperately needed cutting!) - she didn’t do any soaking, just used an antiseptic spray and a sharp scissors; and I’ve also had a dental hygienist appointment (the advice in the UK is not to use antibiotics for that).

Oops, I just noticed people advising against pedicures.
No worries, perfectly okay for you to share an opinion here. I am guessing Rooster Rick didn't imagine receiving any commentary at the mention of a little old nail trimming.:heehee:

Have a great weekend, RoosterRick :)

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. I reckon I’ll hold off on the pedicure. My 6wk follow up w/ the OS is less than 2wks, I’ll clear it with him at that time. Or maybe he can just clip my toenails for me:)

As I reflect on the last week, I’m generally happy and encouraged with my progress. However, recovery sure isn’t linear day-to-day. On any given day, I may feel (physical and mood) better or worse than the day before. Sometimes for no apparent reason. If I have 2 consecutive “worse” days, I modify my routine, less activity more ice and rest. I am having fewer ”worse” days. I’ve tried going without any pain relief for an entire 24 hours, and I’m just not quite there yet. I need a couple IBU in the evening usually. Biggest frustrations currently are the stiffness/lack of flexibility in my operated leg, and consistent good sleep.

Last edited:
Hi Rick, I do think you'll feel better getting a nod from your surgeon in regard to the pedicure.
Your recovery sounds normal with it's ups and downs. While after a month you are normally having more good days than bad, it's common to still have stiffness which does cause the lack of flexibility so don't give up the icing and elevation just yet, if you have, because they both help with the swelling which causes the stiffness. Sleep will improve also and if naps don't make it worse, indulge temporarily.

Check out this little drawing. You're somewhere in the middle of that little scribble on the right. :wink:
rps20171117_054543-jpg.71434

@RoosterRick

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. I reckon I’ll hold off on the pedicure. My 6wk follow up w/ the OS is less than 2wks, I’ll clear it with him at that time. Or maybe he can just clip my toenails for me:)

As I reflect on the last week, I’m generally happy and encouraged with my progress. However, recovery sure isn’t linear day-to-day. On any given day, I may feel (physical and mood) better or worse than the day before. Sometimes for no apparent reason. If I have 2 consecutive “worse” days, I modify my routine, less activity more ice and rest. I am having fewer ”worse” days. I’ve tried going without any pain relief for an entire 24 hours, and I’m just not quite there yet. I need a couple IBU in the evening usually. Biggest frustrations currently are the stiffness/lack of flexibility in my operated leg, and consistent good sleep.
I'm glad you posted this, because I've been giggling about the fact that my post op instructions from my surgeon includes info about pedicures! Had no idea it was a controversial or risky thing. My instructions say I'm good to go and don't need antibiotics before a pedicure. Maybe check yours and see if there are instructions included from your surgeon?

Rick, Everything you are feeling and experiencing is quite normal after this surgery. I remember when Layla first sent me that scribbly line progress chart and it's so true. We think we should always be doing better/more but our bodies are running the show for now.
Mine still is. After a very successful return to work I strained my back after working two straight days in a row and now I'm paying dearly. Ice, rest, this wasn't part of the plan but body says stop so I stop.

37 Days post-op today. I’m pleased with my progress and I believe the pace of my recovery has accelerated over the last week, in my subjective opinion anyway. Pain is gone for the most part, replaced by the occasional sensation of tightness/slight discomfort. I am sure this is the lingering effect (still) of surgery trauma. Certainly this will fully resolve sooner rather than later, I hope. I have been able to manage the occasional discomfort with Ibuprofen. I notice I am less aware of my hip this week, than last. I ditched the cane 10 days ago and feel quite comfortable now navigating pretty much anything without concern. I have increased my daily walking distance, averaging 3.1 miles/day for the last week. I continue to intentionally focus on good mechanics , proper form and not limping or favoring the left leg. The nicer spring weather has allowed me to do some trail walks up to 3 miles with some hills YAY! My newfound confidence with increasing the daily walking distance and difficulty, led me to incorporate a daily “stair session” at home with 20 repeats (walking, of course) up and down my basement stairs (16 steps). I have had no adverse effects and appreciate the more aerobic effort required. I fully expected my hip would protest, perhaps loudly, but fortunately that hasn’t happened. In general, I have found that sitting for extended periods (like at the office) is much more likely to result tightness and/or discomfort than anything involving movement. No running yet, however, or plans to do so for some time. Just in case, I did order a couple new pairs of my favorite running shoes.

I can also share a couple of significant milestones for me; tying my shoe, putting on a sock and clipping the toenails on my operated leg. :yay::yay::yay: I won’t say it happened easily, or without some discomfort, but happen it did. Which brings me to the thought that I should incorporate some light stretching and core strengthening into my routine. I am not thinking anything crazy, or anything I didn’t regularly do pre-surgery, to start with. I believe I will ease into this by adding a variety of bridges and planks, maybe 10-20 reps 3x/week. I don’t want to set my recovery back, but I feel ready to work a bit harder on my rehab now. I plan to set up my bike trainer this weekend and add 30 minutes of easy spinning a couple times a week, to start. I do wonder how clipping in/out of my pedals will feel, but I’ll find out soon enough. I would be curious if there are any cyclists out there who have had experience using clipless pedals while recovering from surgery.

I have my 6-week follow-up appointment next week, which will include an X-ray, and am anxious for some feedback. I plan to talk to them about pursuing more aggressive physical therapy in the future. This will include beginning to address the muscle imbalance issues acquired during the 10+ years I lived with a compromised left hip. I know the immediate problem areas will be hip flexors, adductors, glutes. I will also need to initiate the discussion about the future of my right hip, which appears to be on a similar trajectory. Fortunately, I have no issues with it currently and hope my good fortune continues for a long time. However, I would rather have a plan to address it when I am younger and healthier, if it must be addressed.

Thanks for listening :)

@RoosterRick Excellent update! Sounds like you are doing really well!

Great update, @RoosterRick! With my first surgery, I requested 4 weeks of PT at my 6-week follow up and found it quite useful. She taught me many good exercises for strengthening, flexibility, and balance. I still have the printouts and plan to use the same exercises when I hit six weeks this time.

Good luck and continued success!

If I titled my progress reports, the last report at 5 1/2 weeks would have been “Rick Rocks Recovery”. This update will be titled “Rick’s Reality Check”. I am 7 ½ weeks post-op. Last week I had my 6-week follow up with the PA who assists my surgeon with such things. Other than a short pre-op appointment and the surgery itself (I was napping then), I’ve had no interaction with my surgeon. And I am just fine with this. I chose him because of his experience and my confidence in his skills, not because I needed to be coddled during the process. Anyway, an X-ray confirmed everything was as expected with the device, which came as no surprise, but was nonetheless reassuring. The X-ray (as well as prior X-rays) also confirmed I can look forward to a RTHR in the future. Not a surprise, and not in the foreseeable future. The PA was pleased with the recovery, and I was “released” to resume whatever activities I wanted to do, within reason of course, using pain as my guide. He did ask that I wait until after the 12-week follow-up before I consider any running. Fine with me as I am nowhere near ready for that. Running will never be “approved” by my surgical team… “reluctantly acknowledged” might be as much as I get. I am confident that I will be a runner again, but I have a long (very) way to go. Which brings me back to where I am at…

There is no meaningful progress to report, certainly no “break throughs”. I was feeling pretty much like a bad a$$ when I provided my prior update 2 weeks ago. My recovery has gone well, and gained momentum weeks 4-6. That, unfortunately has slowed. To a crawl. Pain is gone for the most part, but I still rely on Tylenol and ibuprofen regularly, and especially to help me sleep. And sleep continues to be inconsistent. Extremely frustrating that I have not been able to find a comfortable position that is sustainable for sleep. The feeling of tightness/stiffness and discomfort in the upper thigh is persistent generally whenever I am in motion. The area around the incision is uncomfortable, both numb and sensitive to the touch. It annoys me. My daily walking distance peaked at 3.9 miles last week. I have had to back off this week, reluctantly, with fewer hills (which continue to be somewhat uncomfortable dammit). My walking gait does not yet feel natural, it feels… mechanical? I struggle to describe exactly how movement of the operated appendage feels. Just not natural at all. And I have experienced occasional knee pain (op-side) which is something new. And unsettling. I have had no knee issues, ever. After three days “stair sessions”, I stopped that too. My hope to get on the bike trainer a couple weeks ago has been postponed for another couple weeks. I can get on my socks, shoes and clip my nails…barely and I sure don’t feel my flexibility is improving. At all. In summary, I have hit a stall. My body is telling me to not do so much, so fast. Humbling and a bit defeating. I need to regroup, be patient and reset expectations again. It is a marathon, not a sprint.​

Last edited:
Hey @RoosterRick, it's good to see an update from you. Man, I really relate to some of your frustration: uncomfortable sleep positions, stiff/grippy quad, sensitive incision, robot-leg, knee irritation, all relatable. I wanted to share a little insight I got from my PT today that ticks off a few of these boxes. She told me that in early recovery (which you are still in according to the charts, even though you're a good month+ ahead of lil old me at 3 weeks) our femurs aren't in their natural or final position. The thigh stiffness, knee pains, and robot leg feeling have multiple causes, but one uniting cause is that our body is still readjusting and the femur is still a little bit off. Also the incision scar does run deep, and it pulls at soft tissue and can constrain ROM -- I really noticed that today. I bet your deeper soft tissue is still healing, and you're getting messages from you body to slow down so it can do what it needs to do. You're connected enough to your body to listen, which is really good news.

If you have access to a PT who has equipment like ultrasound and other modalities that help facilitate gentle muscle unclenching, it might be worth trying it for a few weeks. I think your instinct to back off the walking and wait longer on adding more hills is right on. Maybe one of the Admins can give you the wiggly-scribbles healing picture to meditate on too... healing really does not feel super linear, that's for sure!

I'm glad you checked in. Hoping you get a better night of sleep tonight.

Rick, thanks for the update. It’s great to hear from those a few weeks ahead. It provides another example of what, perhaps, I can expect. My surgery was four weeks ago yesterday. Like you, my sleep is inconsistent, I have persistent quad tightness, and the operative leg feels somewhat mechanical - not a carefree, natural gait. And I can feel the exponential pace of improvement slowing substantially. But, it’s so much better than before and progress is still happening and will for many months to come. I think we have to take the long view - my goal is to be ready for a week long hike in NW Wyoming next August - 15 months from now. That was unthinkable before my left THR last month and then next one three weeks from now. We’ll both get there, it’ll just be a bit of up and down slog, mixed with mostly hope with a dash of frustration here and there. Hang in there! I’m guessing at some point in the next few weeks I’ll be frustrated by some setback or another.

Many of the pedicure places now line the basin with a plastic covering prior to filling it up with water and bath soaking product.
I've gone for several pedicures over the last year simply cause I couldn't reach my toes to cut my toenails!
I guess just depends on where you go and the level of the hygiene at that establishment.
I had a pedicure at about 8 weeks, and had no ill effect. It didn’t occur to me.
I have had another one this week but they do use a plastic liner where I go, and all the tools are sterile.
I also had my teeth cleaned and polished, and that was OK too.

Hey @RoosterRick, it's good to see an update from you. Man, I really relate to some of your frustration: uncomfortable sleep positions, stiff/grippy quad, sensitive incision, robot-leg, knee irritation, all relatable. I wanted to share a little insight I got from my PT today that ticks off a few of these boxes. She told me that in early recovery (which you are still in according to the charts, even though you're a good month+ ahead of lil old me at 3 weeks) our femurs aren't in their natural or final position. The thigh stiffness, knee pains, and robot leg feeling have multiple causes, but one uniting cause is that our body is still readjusting and the femur is still a little bit off. Also the incision scar does run deep, and it pulls at soft tissue and can constrain ROM -- I really noticed that today. I bet your deeper soft tissue is still healing, and you're getting messages from you body to slow down so it can do what it needs to do. You're connected enough to your body to listen, which is really good news.

If you have access to a PT who has equipment like ultrasound and other modalities that help facilitate gentle muscle unclenching, it might be worth trying it for a few weeks. I think your instinct to back off the walking and wait longer on adding more hills is right on. Maybe one of the Admins can give you the wiggly-scribbles healing picture to meditate on too... healing really does not feel super linear, that's for sure!

I'm glad you checked in. Hoping you get a better night of sleep tonight.
Thank you for the info and kind words @LaKarune :) I had my PA give me a Rx for 6 weeks of PT. Unfortunately I don't currently have a go-to Physical Therapist, so I am poking around to find the right one. Admittedly dragging my feet a bit because I don't want to set my recovery back by going down the wrong path here. Your idea that my body is adjusting to the position of the femur/prothesis makes sense, and really does describe how it feels.... a bit off. I suspect this phase of my recovery will be measured in months, not weeks. Indeed healing is not linear... where have I heard that?

Rick, thanks for the update. It’s great to hear from those a few weeks ahead. It provides another example of what, perhaps, I can expect. My surgery was four weeks ago yesterday. Like you, my sleep is inconsistent, I have persistent quad tightness, and the operative leg feels somewhat mechanical - not a carefree, natural gait. And I can feel the exponential pace of improvement slowing substantially. But, it’s so much better than before and progress is still happening and will for many months to come. I think we have to take the long view - my goal is to be ready for a week long hike in NW Wyoming next August - 15 months from now. That was unthinkable before my left THR last month and then next one three weeks from now. We’ll both get there, it’ll just be a bit of up and down slog, mixed with mostly hope with a dash of frustration here and there. Hang in there! I’m guessing at some point in the next few weeks I’ll be frustrated by some setback or another.
Hi @tanvat, I have been following your journey as well, and certainly note some similarities. You are experiencing the same accelerated healing I enjoyed from weeks 4-6, and the emotional lift it brings. The bad a$$ phase :) I hope yours continues on the current trajectory, but we both know that probably is wishful thinking. Taking the long view is absolutely required, isn't it? I am not a patient person, by nature, so this is a bit outside of my strike-zone. I am still coming to terms with how little control I really have in this process. And I don't really like it. You'll have to tell me more of your Wyoming hike in August of '24, sounds like maybe the Beartooths and/or Absaroka?​

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom