TKR Walking the Dog

Lisa414

Country
United States United States
I know everyone is different, but what was your experience with getting back to walking the dog? I have a 50 lb Irishdoodle, and I do not have a fenced yard. So he is walked several times a day. He is a very gentle boy who listens well on the leash. I have daycare appts booked for him for while my significant other is at work through my one month post-op appointment. He will drop him off and pick him up on his way to and from work. I will not need to be alone with him for the first month. I am just wondering if at that point it is realistic to think I could at least take him out to the yard to do his business even if we don't go on a long walk. He can save that for when Dad gets home.

If you are walking comfortably and confidently without an assistive device at one month post op you should be able to do that, as long as your dog takes commands well and there's none of this ->:dogwalk:

You will want your feet planted firmly on the ground with no jerking, quick change of direction or pulling going on.
Practice out in the yard with hubs there first. I believe you'll naturally be able to tell when the time is right.
Best wishes and lots of comfort to you as you await your big day. :)
@Lisa414

Just noticed him on your avatar, Lisa. He's adorable!!

Just noticed him on your avatar, Lisa. He's adorable!!
Thank you! He's my sweetheart. He is in training to become a therapy dog for my 4 year old non-verbal granddaughter (autism). He will hopefully eventually go to school with her.

Precious! How lucky she'll be to have him, the sweet boy!

In my experience our pets usually sense that something has changed and in many cases they respond well to commands and changes in the way they are handled. I agree with Layla, you should be fine letting your dog out in the yard at one month out. I would think once you are confident with your walking your dog will be a great companion as you regain your mobility.

For me it was about 6 weeks post-op before I was walking my dog (75+lb Lab) on my own. She is very good at commands and doesn't pull on the leash. I agree with others that you should be able to take her out in your yard at about 1 month post-op. Just take it slow and be careful!

He is adorable. One thing you might do prior to surgery is have a walker out. Let him see it, and see you walking behind it. That way he'll know its something ok for you to be doing. I'd also let him see a cane and walk around with that. These new things sometimes confuse our babies.

We have a new puppy. The whole intention in getting her was for her to be a therapy dog, eventually. Good for you and for your granddaughter.

He is adorable. One thing you might do prior to surgery is have a walker out. Let him see it, and see you walking behind it. That way he'll know its something ok for you to be doing. I'd also let him see a cane and walk around with that. These new things sometimes confuse our babies.

We have a new puppy. The whole intention in getting her was for her to be a therapy dog, eventually. Good for you and for your granddaughter.
That is a great idea! When I get a bit closer, I will get a walker out and practice. I do have a cane now for my bad days, so he is used to that.

Thanks for all the great advice!

He walks well now, but I have also put him in 8 weeks of private loose leash walking training and reactivity (to birds, rabbits, etc) training. My biggest fear was him seeing a rabbit and trying to take off and yanking on the leash!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks