TKR Rando's Pre-op Questions

Rando

Country
United States United States
I am thinking of canceling my left knee tkr, as I am one week away from surgery.. My osteoarthritis caused more pain in my
calf and shin and not the knee area. But now not sure what to do, as the more i walk and exercise the better things are.
I went to see a dr because my lower leg (not the Knee area) was always sore, he said its knee osteoarthritis. Help

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.

The choice is up to you. If your knee has deteriorated to the point that you need joint replacement, then I'd consider doing it now as opposed to later. It likely will only get worse over time and it can happen quickly. You are as young as you'll ever be and possibly as healthy as you'll ever be.

I also found that pain migrated from one area to another, before my THR. I often felt pain all the way down my thigh to my knee, other times in my back, sometimes in my groin, but my hip was stage four and it wasn't going to get any better, only worse. So I do understand being a bit tentative given your knee isn't currently painful.

Joint replacement surgery is one of the most prevalent surgeries performed worldwide. The outcomes of these surgeries have become excellent based on a number of techniques changing over the years. The implants are durable and long lasting, with longevity much greater than before offering an increase in the likelihood you’ll never have to experience this procedure again.

I wish you comfort and clarity in making decisions as you move forward. I will leave some pre-op reading material for you to read. Best Wishes!

KNEE PRE-OP ARTICLES

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at some stories of amazing knee recoveries
@Rando

My tkr is in 1 week, but lately an older ( been repaired twice in 5 years ) root canal is causing pain when i consume surgery foods.
It is too late to see a dentist before surgery, but it needs attention. Should I worry about TKR infection due to the dental issue?
Should I postpone surgery and get tooth fixed first.?

I had a temporary crown put on a tooth just days before my LTHR. I am sure the dentist could do something now and then you could return for something more permanent. Call your dentist and take their suggestion on this.

@Rando What is the actual date of your surgery. We will put the information in your signature for you.

Tuesday the 16th of May 2023

Is there a secret recipe for eating foods that will cut back on the # of the times you have to make trips to the rest room. after surgery? Soups, etc

TKR is scheduled for a Tuesday, my first appointment with the PT company is Thursday. Is that too soon or just right?

Good luck with your surgery! My PT started the very next day after surgery. It should be very gentle at first. As PT goes on it will get uncomfortable trying to get your extension and flexion back but stop at any painful point. I am almost 3 months out now from surgery and still going to PT one day a week. It is a long journey and I wish you the best! Ice and elevate at every chsnce!

Hi @Rando I doubt you will have any success in this endeavor to limit your bathroom trips. You will have more fluids to pass due to the IV's,etc used before and during your surgery.
Plus, in my opinion, why would you want to slow down the process of your body ridding itself of metabolic waste including the medications, etc used?

You will easily figure out how to move your body to get to the bathroom and if really worried about it, you could try a portable commode positioned closer to your recovery bed or chair.
Another thing to think about, you want to be moving every hour and will most likely get this advice in your discharge papers. The more you can move safely and comfortably, the better it is to guard against blood clots.

Please don't worry, you will be able to do this recovery thing.

@Rando You have started several thread with some very good questions about TKR surgery and recovery. I am worried you won't find all the answers if you have so many active threads. So I combined all the content into one thread with the title Rando's Pre-op Questions. Just post your questions here. It will be a good resource for you and for others going into surgery.

Regarding PT - every surgeons is different about scheduling this. Just don't let anyone force your knee. It needs to heal and recover from all the trauma first. Plenty of time for strength training later.

Is there a secret recipe for eating foods that will cut back on the # of the times you have to make trips to the rest room. after surgery?
These trips to the bathroom are useful and necessary. Staying adequately hydrated is important even if it forces you to get up hourly. It will help flush fluids pumped into your body prior to surgery as well as the anesthetic. So please try to view getting up to move as a good thing, even though it feels like an annoyance initially. You'll feel better afterward because it becomes easier with every trip. Getting up to walk for 5 minutes every hour or two for that first week is also beneficial in avoiding a blood clot from being too sedentary.

As far as diet, protein is important to the healing process as it will give you energy, but in addition the amino acids in the protein help repair muscle damage by regenerating tissue and speeding up wound healing.

Hi Rando, :wave:
Best Wishes for your big day tomorrow!
I hope you'll join us on the Knee recovery forum once you're feeling up to it. We will have some Recovery Guidelines which I believe you'll find beneficial. Hope to see you soon!
@Rando

Is there a secret recipe for eating foods that will cut back on the # of the times you have to make trips to the rest room. after surgery?
These trips to the bathroom are useful and necessary. Staying adequately hydrated is important even if it forces you to get up hourly. It will help flush fluids pumped into your body prior to surgery as well as the anesthetic. So please try to view getting up to move as a good thing, even though it feels like an annoyance initially...
Yes, I agree. With both my TKR's I experienced temporary stress-based urinary incontinence (my only complication) for two-three weeks putting me on diapers at points-GOOD TIMES :eyebrows: !

The first time I was mortified, and considered less water intake to lessen times of pulling on and off diapers...

Second TKR I just went with it :tada: ! Water IS a healer - towards full recovery. Which made for better bladder control ultimately.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks