THR May 9th

I have filled out my paperwork for it. My manager said they can hold my position for 45 days. It’s my understanding that while I’ll still have a job- after the 45 days- it may not be on the same unit as they’ll need to cover their staffing needs. ( I’m a nurse) it should be fine- I’m a worrier, though.

I have filled out my paperwork for it. My manager said they can hold my position for 45 days. It’s my understanding that while I’ll still have a job- after the 45 days- it may not be on the same unit as they’ll need to cover their staffing needs. ( I’m a nurse) it should be fine- I’m a worrier, though.
Yes that’s what our FMLA does…..guarantees you “A” job, doesn’t have to be the one you left.

I just know that you won’t be ready to return to work in 45 days.
Marie

Wishing you the best @Hello Hipsters. I sure understand the stress resulting from the unknown about when life might get back to some kind of normal after your surgery. This board is a great resource for support, wisdom and advice from those who've traveled the journey, and those (like myself) who are still traveling. I have also come to appreciate that the journey is unique to the individual and my recovery is different than yours will be, or anyone else. No one can know how your recovery will progress, and when you'll feel ready for work. It sounds like you've got great support at home, which will allow you to focus on your recovery and healing from the trauma of the surgery for the first few weeks (which pretty much suck for everybody BTW). The speed and trajectory your recovery takes after that is unknown. I was able to return to my office job 2-weeks after my surgery. It was not optimal, for sure, but it was manageable. I certainly could not have done so if my job required me to be more active, which I assume is your situation as an RN. You should be prepared for the possibility you may not be able to return to your work in 45 days, but it is just as likely you'll be ready to navigate the return to work. But you won't know, until you know, right? Again, good luck and keep us posted. :)

Last edited:
Thank you for your response! You shared a glimmer of hope while keeping it real as well. My current plan is to take the focus off the end of recovery and try to just think about what I can do today. The countdown to surgery day is on…time to put together my commode and get some last minute house prep done!!) Best wishes for your full recovery!

I am expecting to get the call tomorrow with my surgery time for Tuesday. Having some real panicky moments! Lots of waves of tears and fears related to the risks of surgery and not being able to be there for my family. Any thoughts on how to stay positive? The pain is significant- so I’m hopeful that will improve. I plan on cleaning the house and visiting a garden center for some nature therapy. I can’t shake the waves of panic, though.

@Hello Hipsters Just keep your eye on the prize! This procedure means you can be there with your family - no more grinding hip pain.

Keep busy today. And on the day tell everyone at the hospital that you are anxious. They will do everything they can to keep you comfortable.

See you on the other side soon!

Hello and Welcome! to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
I am so sorry you're experiencing fears / tears and panic. I did also, so I understand. I did shed some quiet tears in bed the night before my surgery giving thanks for all of the good years my hip gave me and prayed for peace of mind and some sleep. I took comfort in that little ritual as I moved closer to parting ways with my natural hip. We are blessed to live in an era that allows us a second chance. In the not too distant past, we may have been forced to spend our lives in a wheelchair, often dependent on others. Thankfully, you have another option. I know you will be surprised at how quickly you adjust to a new, ever evolving, routine on the way back to engaging in all that you love....without the pain! :happydance: It's wonderful!

We all have anxiety pre op anxiety, to varying degrees. All you can do is go through the motions with your focus on a brighter furture. Try not to allow yourself time to wallow in the fear or panic by staying busy today and tonight. I hope you have an early surgery tomorrow.

Pre op (prep) will move quickly, you're pretty busy answering questions and speaking with various medical professionals, likely your surgeon, possibly the anesthesiologists, and multiple nurses. They keep the conversation light, even sharing laughs etc. At least that was my experience. Their demeanor is calming as it will be just another Tuesday for them, doing what they were trained to do and what they do best. Just as you want the perfect outcome, they do also. As, Jaycey, mentioned, let them know you are anxious and they can give you something to take the edge off. It will help.

I wish you comfort and peace of mind as you wait. We will be thinking of you and look forward to following your healing journey on the bright side. Please join us there as soon as you're feeling up to it.
Hugs
@Hello Hipsters

Hello and Welcome! to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
I am so sorry you're experiencing fears / tears and panic. I did also, so I understand. I did shed some quiet tears in bed the night before my surgery giving thanks for all of the good years my hip gave me and prayed for peace of mind and some sleep. I took comfort in that little ritual as I moved closer to parting ways with my natural hip. We are blessed to live in an era that allows us a second chance. In the not too distant past, we may have been forced to spend our lives in a wheelchair, often dependent on others. Thankfully, you have another option. I know you will be surprised at how quickly you adjust to a new, ever evolving, routine on the way back to engaging in all that you love....without the pain! :happydance: It's wonderful!

We all have anxiety pre op anxiety, to varying degrees. All you can do is go through the motions with your focus on a brighter furture. Try not to allow yourself time to wallow in the fear or panic by staying busy today and tonight. I hope you have an early surgery tomorrow.

Pre op (prep) will move quickly, you're pretty busy answering questions and speaking with various medical professionals, likely your surgeon, possibly the anesthesiologists, and multiple nurses. They keep the conversation light, even sharing laughs etc. At least that was my experience. Their demeanor is calming as it will be just another Tuesday for them, doing what they were trained to do and what they do best. Just as you want the perfect outcome, they do also. As, Jaycey, mentioned, let them know you are anxious and they can give you something to take the edge off. It will help.

I wish you comfort and peace of mind as you wait. We will be thinking of you and look forward to following your healing journey on the bright side. Please join us there as soon as you're feeling up to it.
Hugs
@Hello Hipsters
Your words are so kind. Thank you for the encouragement!

Of course! You're welcome! We're here day and night for support...please know that. :friends:

Hi @Hello Hipsters - I SO relate to your pre-surgery anxiety. I was there just 2.5 weeks ago! Being reminded that everyone on the medical side is there to help ensure a best-case outcome was incredibly soothing for me (thanks to @Layla for being an outstanding pre-surgery Mom to us here). I also got a ton of reassurance from the various people who called me the day before: the hospital pre-op nurse, who explained the entire process and listened patiently to my questions and was kind when I started to cry, and the home health representative who called to explain their role and process were particularly helpful. Hopefully you’ll give yourself permission to lean on them all and trust them with your body in the short term as you embark on the journey of fixing your hip pain for the long term.

I will share that after all my research and anxiety and crying and reaching out for support, when I woke up from surgery I was hit with the most incredible feeling of relief that it was finally done. It really was that feeling of a heavy weight being lifted from me. I hope you find yourself in a similar emotional place after your surgery. In less than 24 hours, all this anxiety will have been magically lifted and you’ll be able to let your body take over again with the healing process.

Wishing you a good final pre-op day, and I’ll be looking for you on the healing side!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom