TKR It’s that time again

Waterlady

Country
United States United States
I didn’t really think I would need TKR, but here I go with another surgery on a joint. I’ve had both hips replaced, and I had repairs to both my shoulders when the biceps snapped off in the right side 2012. Then another repair for the other side in 2015. This right knee needed lateral meniscus repair in 2015 too. I thought I was done, but my knee just hurts all the time even after all the physical therapy I did to strengthen the leg. My friends are calling me the bionic woman especially since none of them have had any sort of joint replacements.

I am dreading the recovery process since I am such a wimp when it comes to pain. I had pain medicine, but I will definitely take it. I’ve heard the knee is worse than the hip, but is the pain worse than the shoulder? My shoulder pain was horrible. I will be alone. I think I’ll get lonely too staying home by myself all that time. I don’t really know my neighbors where I live although I have met them. My closest friend lives 15 minutes away so she did say she could get groceries for me. I’m thinking I may not be able to get the mail. How long does it take till you can walk up an incline? The driveway goes uphill at the street where the mailbox is. All these little things to think about let alone blood clots or infection.

Hi @Waterlady and welcome back to another replacement journey!

Sounds like you are already a joint recovery pro, but -- since this is your first TKR and it's a bit different from your other procedures, I will share BoneSmart's helpful pre-operative guide .

Take a look at these links to help you prepare for what is to come:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

The website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. Please feel free to ask any questions you have about this surgery and recovery; our members will be happy to share their experiences with you.

I’m thinking I may not be able to get the mail. How long does it take till you can walk up an incline? The driveway goes uphill at the street where the mailbox is.
Yes, you should definitely ask someone to help you with the mail for the first week or two. While you do need to get up and move around a bit every hour or so to avoid blood clots, you'll find climbing a hill quite challenging n those early days. Plus, you won't have the stamina to make it more than once around the house (indoors, that is) while your body is working to recover.

I also have a steep driveway with the mailbox at the top. Since I used a walker for the first week or so post-op, I didn't even try to climb it. However, once I graduated to the cane and wanted to go for a (short) daily walk, I had to climb that darn hill anyway, so I timed my walks for after mail delivery. :wink:

Thank you @benne68 for the reply and informational links. It’s been a few years now since my last surgery so they are useful to me.
I will be having the TKR done in a day surgical center. To me that sounds better as there are less germs there than at the hospital.
I know one should keep their muscles strong before surgery, but I’ve gotten to the point where my knee aches all the time. I’m tending to not want to do the exercises I was doing to get stronger. If it hurts stop… or maybe not in this case since I’m such a wuss when it comes to pain. I don’t think I should take naproxen to exercise, or maybe I should. Tylenol does nothing for me. Any thoughts on this?

I don’t think I should take naproxen to exercise, or maybe I should.
Please don't take anything to mask the pain during exercise. Pain is a signal that you are doing too much. And pre-op there is not much that will address pain. Time to baby that sore knee.

Hi, I had my surgery at an outpatient surgical center. I was given a set of exercises to do pre-op. I did take ibuprofen for the discomfort. The exercises were for extension, leg lifting, glutes, leg/ft slides, and ankle pumps. I did them the best I could and that's all they really expect that you try. I had to stop the ibuprofen 2- weeks before surgery. You can always check in with your nurse navigator. If the incline is too much remember you can drive at 6-7 weeks! The best of luck to you!

I’ve gotten to the point where my knee aches all the time.
I totally relate. I had to wait because of COVID and, but the time I had my TKR, my knee was so bad, I was walking with a cane.

Try not to worry about exercising right now. One step at a time. Get that bad knee replaced. Once you are healed, you may find that the absence of pain makes it much easier to rebuild strength.

Once knee pain starts to dictate your life, then it's time to get it replaced, I've now had both mind replaced and it's is a life changer, now shopping in malls is enjoyable once more.
Is there any chance of online grocery shopping where you are or maybe a community service that offers this facility. That way its delivered to your door.
Usually when you leave hospital they make sure you can manage stairs and are able to walk with either crutches or a walker, however can you not ask the mail man to make an exception and deliver to your door.

@Sara61 I suppose i could ask the mail woman if she will deliver the mail to my door for the first couple of weeks. It doesn’t hurt to ask …Especially since I don’t get that much mail.

As to groceries…No they do not deliver in my area as it is quite a ways from the nearest grocery store. A friend recently said she would help me with groceries. I will get some things in cans and dry goods. I’ll survive. Haha Maybe I’ll lose some weight. That wouldn’t hurt me at all.

Best Wishes for your TKR tomorrow!
I hope you’ll join us on the healing side once you’re resting comfortably at home.
We will look forward to following your journey. :)
@Waterlady

Yes, best wishes for a very smooth day tomorrow. I hope you have the grocery and mail issues all settled and will be watching for you on the recovery side. :flwrysmile:

Hi Waterlady,
Stopped by to wish you a Happy One Month Anniversary, but realized you don’t have a recovery thread. Please consider joining us for a few months on the healing side so we’re able to cheer on your progress and support you along the way,
I hope to see you over there soon!
@Waterlady

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties