THR Break on through..

You have an ADA chair height toilet, I used a toilet from like the hospitals have which goes over the toilet and is adjustable for height. You can put your legs any way you want as long as you don't force them or twist them. You say lateral, is you scar on the side? Wherever the scar is would be the place they rotated your femur head to so they could remove it and drive the implant in. That is the direction your muscles would be the weakest and most prone to dislocate in which is the biggest thing you don't want to do.
20 mins of icing wouldn't have cut it for me. I had a machine and if I wasn't moving it was on me. Ice is the best for getting comfortable.
A while back, I bought this from Amazon:

Bemis 7YE85320TSS 000 New Larger Size Clean Shield 3" Raised Toilet Seat, Elongated, White​

The height is fine for me, I'm 5'1". I just feel unsecure while using the toilet. I might just be an irrational fear.

Yes, scar is completely on side. Ice on/off every 20 minutes.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Camille

I had one of those and I struggled with it, mine even had handles. Maybe at your height you might not need that to be comfortable. I had restrictions and sitting on the toilet was way too low for me. I was very happy when restrictions were over and the toilet frame was the first thing to go.

...to the other side!!

I made it. Moving is ouch. So stiff. Hopefully going home today.

Thanks all.
Camille
Just a quick update:

I've only been using a 1/4 of the Oxy 3-4 times per day since Fri. and today I stopped completely.
I've been using a cane instead of a walker since Mon.
Swelling is sloooowly starting to subside.
Still icing.
PT at home 3x's per week.
And it's official, me and the toilet are no longer friends. I just don't know why it's so hard for me. :bawl:

I have my 2-week post op with the surgeon on Tues. 4/25.

Anybody else catch themselves going to pick something up off the floor and then break into a cold sweat with your heart racing? I hate gummy bears now.

Regards,
Camille

@NewShoes - I made a mistake early on in my recovery - I bent forward beyond 90 degrees and twisted to pick up my granddaughter (no lightweight) and a pain shot up from my buttock into my lower back. I was scared s***less but a bit of walking around and some painkillers and all was fine. I haven’t made the same mistake again!

@NewShoes - I made a mistake early on in my recovery - I bent forward beyond 90 degrees and twisted to pick up my granddaughter (no lightweight) and a pain shot up from my buttock into my lower back. I was scared s***less but a bit of walking around and some painkillers and all was fine. I haven’t made the same mistake again!
Wow! So glad our bodies are forgiving.

Regards,
Camille

...to the other side!!

Thanks all.
Camille
Just a quick update:

I've only been using a 1/4 of the Oxy 3-4 times per day since Fri. and today I stopped completely.
Still icing.
And it's official, me and the toilet are no longer friends. I just don't know why it's so hard for me. :bawl:

Anybody else catch themselves going to pick something up off the floor and then break into a cold sweat with your heart racing? I hate gummy bears now.

Regards,
Camille
Dang, girl :walking:! You are on fire! I just started cutting down my painkillers (Tramadol) today and took a few steps with my cane. Hurt my shin, though. I think my progress is a little slower than yours but I am a whole day behind you. Lol! Well done! What an inspiration you are! I hope you continue to have such great results.

...to the other side!!

Thanks all.
Camille
Just a quick update:

Still icing.

Regards,
Camille
Dang, girl :walking:! You are on fire! I just started cutting down my painkillers (Tramadol) today and took a few steps with my cane. Hurt my shin, though. I think my progress is a little slower than yours but I am a whole day behind you. Lol! Well done! What an inspiration you are! I hope you continue to have such great results.
Thanks. I'm just listening to my body. I have no problem going back to pain meds or the walker if needed.
Most of the pain I had was on the inner side of my knee, both sides of my ankle and thigh muscle. The incision felt tight for the whole first week. Mildly better now.

You're right there. You got this. :egypdance:

Regards,
Camille

...to the other side!!

Thanks all.
Camille
Two-week post op with surgeon today. He took x-rays, removed the bandage, extended my PT and wants to see me back in 3 months. I asked him about driving and he said I could drive when I felt comfortable with it.

When do people with RTHR usually start driving again?

Regards,
Camille

(
...to the other side!!

Thanks all.
Camille
Two-week post op with surgeon today. He took x-rays, removed the bandage, extended my PT and wants to see me back in 3 months. I asked him about driving and he said I could drive when I felt comfortable with it.

When do people with RTHR usually start driving again?

Regards,
Camille
It’s different for everyone. You have to be off narcotics and able to depress the foot pedals. Start out in a parking lot first. If all goes well & you‘re up to it, you’re good!

Marie

...to the other side!!

Thanks all.
Camille
Stuck in the tired zone. :sleeep:

Three weeks post-op. No pain. No walker. Cane rarely; only when I feel my newly awakened muscles get mad at me which makes me panic at the prospect of falling. PT going great. I will be taking my first test drive on Monday; only going around the block.

But I am soooooooooo unbelievably tired. About 5-6 hours after I wake up, I'm beat and have to lay down for about an hour. I'm not fighting it. I know I'm still healing but man, this is the most and longest that I've been tired after a surgery (and this was my 7th surgery).

I hope everyone is healing and doing well. :flwrysmile:

Regards,
Camille

NewShoes, my surgery was 4/13. Like you, I’m still taking a solid 2 hour nap every afternoon. I wake up about every hour at night. I go back to sleep quickly, but not getting the extended, deep restorative sleep. I think it’s just par for the course - embrace the nap if you can. If your body says sleep, listen! Hang in there.

NewShoes, my surgery was 4/13. Like you, I’m still taking a solid 2 hour nap every afternoon. I wake up about every hour at night. I go back to sleep quickly, but not getting the extended, deep restorative sleep. I think it’s just par for the course - embrace the nap if you can. If your body says sleep, listen! Hang in there.
I noticed a lot of people had disturbed sleep after this surgery. For some reason, I didn't. I was VERY lucky with that since I don't have a good sleep record.

That's my plan, just go with it.

I still can't believe all of that pre-op hip pain is gone! :yes!:

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,
Camille

I have had plenty of surgeries, nothing kicked my butt with being tired like my THR's.

Glad to read you are pain-free! That is awesome! I still have lingering thigh pain—my thigh was super bruised in the beginning—but it’s more of an ache rather than sharp pain like in the beginning. I continue to use my cane most of the time just to give that thigh a break.

I have finally worked out of naps. I am sleeping 8-9 hours at night, which is more than I slept pre-op!

It sounds like you are doing fantastic! I would get the rest when your body tells you to. This is definitely an exhausting process!

Glad to read you are pain-free! That is awesome! I still have lingering thigh pain—my thigh was super bruised in the beginning—but it’s more of an ache rather than sharp pain like in the beginning. I continue to use my cane most of the time just to give that thigh a break.

I have finally worked out of naps. I am sleeping 8-9 hours at night, which is more than I slept pre-op!

It sounds like you are doing fantastic! I would get the rest when your body tells you to. This is definitely an exhausting process!
When I get muscle aches from PT, I have no problem grabbing the cane. My PT isn't just for my hip. It's a combination of my left foot (post Lisfranc fracture repair x2), C5-C7 and L3-S1 degeneration, along with my hip. My gait is wrecked. Learning how to walk correctly.

Wow, you get great sleep. I've always had an issue with sleep, so I'm happy when I get the whole 5 hours at night.

I had 2 goals for this surgery: Minimal to zero pre-op hip agony and not having to use the walker (which I had to do before surgery). With those 2 goals already met, I couldn't be happier.

We got this. :egypdance:

Regards,
Camille

So great to hear you are doing well in your recovery :) Sounds like you will be in great shape by the time summer rolls around ☀️

I am also in the no issue sleeping club, nothing threatens my 8h a night haha! But afternoon naps were a must those first few weeks. Sometimes going to bed at a ridiculously early hour would also do the trick :)

Happy One Month Anniversary!
Glad to read you’re happy with your recovery so far.
Even brighter days are on the way! :SUNsmile:
@NewShoes

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker