THR Iliopsoas Tendonitis

Wow! A full month in recovery.. congratulations! Aren't you glad to have that behind you??

It was interesting to read about your mountainous area. That is a tough one to deal with early on. But you are figuring it out!
Walking inclines and declines were hard for me for quite some time in my recovery. But one day, it was easy again.
You are well on your way to getting your life back, congratulations!

I decided to celebrate my one month anniversary a little bit yesterday. I walked to the local cafe to pick up a cinnamon roll for "fika" and stopped by the florist to get some flowers for the house. My goodness, did the prices of bouquets go up... I think I will stick to supermarket flowers from now on.

The weather was magnificent. 19C and full sun. I sat on my patio having my bun, reflecting on the past month and feeling happy I decided to have this surgery.

Don't get me wrong, the last few weeks have not been easy or smooth ;) I still have some nerve pain in my non-operated leg, and the recent overdoing it incident set my recovery back by a lot. But I have accepted it all as part of the process. I need to caveat this by saying that it is much much easier to feel accepting and positive on good days :)

Today I noticed that when I am warmed up and walking for a while with crutches, I am then able to walk a short distance unassisted without a limp. I still feel the muscles working more to do that than on the non-operated leg, but this is making me really happy :)

I would say the power of heel to toe walking cannot be underestimated. I started to really focus on slowly putting my weight from the back to the front of my foot, and focusing on the muscles at work, and only after a few days I can feel a big difference.

Tomorrow I am going to my gp to check on the wound again. There were still two 1cm sections that were not fully closed up the last time. But I don't mind waiting. As long as it is healing nicely, which it really looked like it was.

I'm also realising now that as the surgery pain is subsiding (down to just 2 paracetamols a day), a long long process of working on my mobility awaits me. 20 years of not being able to bend my leg more than 80 degrees has turned my tendons and muscles to stone.

So if there is a theme to my THR recovery, it is patience :) And not comparing yourself to others, be it your peers, or other people in recovery. That can be a real downer.

I hope you are all having a really good end to the weekend!

Last edited:
I had my dressing changed today - 2 steristrips applied in one section and one mesh plaster with antiseptic gel in an area that was a tiny bit inflamed. I still have a long dressing over it now to protect it as those two small areas are still not fully closed.

When the nurse pulled the top dressing off, there was some thin bright yellow drainage. She said nothing to worry about.

Since 2 hours after the appointment I have been having burning sensation along the incision. And some pins and needles beyond the area (going up to the side of my abdomen, to the leg).

I was going to take it as nerves reconnecting, but I don't like that it coincided with the dressing change. The nurse was adamant that since there was no swelling, warmth or pain before, I should not worry about the tiny bit of redness (it was an area of 5x5mm).

I don't know if to call the OS office tomorrow, any advice? :dubious:

I should mention that I am off all pain meds now and I am going back to the nurse on Friday to check on the wound again.

I don't know if to call the OS office tomorrow, any advice?
Consider doing so for your peace of mind. Let them offer you some reassurance or advice. It can't hurt, right?
They may agree with the nurses thoughts today and suggest you wait until the wound check on Friday.
Wishing you only the best.

Hi, how's your incision doing today, any better? I removed my mesh bandage 2 days ago (at 3 weeks as instructed), and experienced some redness and irritation starting soon afterwards. Kind of a burning, scratching, pins and needles type of pain. Sounds similar to yours.

I switched to the boxers to avoid the panty line irritation, which helped a little. Today seems a little better, at least no worse. I'm watching and waiting, and hoping it will subside in a few days. Wondering if others have experienced similar issues after removing their bandage?

I visited the nurse again yesterday, and the two places in my incision are still healing to fully close. For once, I took a picture (before the nurse cleaned it). Hopefully I am not breaking forum rules by posting it here.

I had traditional sutures, and my surgery was just over 5 weeks ago. Nurse is not worried about the wound, still no redness, swelling, warmth, pain or fever. The pain I described last week I think was related to the antiseptic gel they put on the incision. It gave me this burning sensation. Also very minimal plasma drainage this time around, compared to last week.

Screenshot 2023-04-29 at 09.03.53.png

I also appreciate that I am on immunosuppressants (biologics), and so my healing process despite my fairly young age is bound to be a tad slower. I have been looking at all of these perfectly healed incisions online that are just few weeks from surgery, and doing the comparison game, which is not helpful at all.

I need to be grateful that I avoided any significant swelling or bruising, never had log leg... everyone's recovery has its smooth and a little crinkly sides.

I went home yesterday after the change of dressing (this time with an antiseptic mesh instead of gel) and had no extra pain or sensation. Going back to see the nurse on Monday again, since my city offers free taxis to and from clinic or physio appointments if your mobility is impaired, and I would much rather the professional do it than me ;)

I was so scared to write this here and ask for advice, I didn't want to make it true somehow but speaking about it. But at this point it haas been on my mind for a couple of weeks and slowly chipping away at me. So I am just going to pour it out here.

Before the surgery for 20 years my hip would not move pass 90 degrees (it was closer to 80 degrees in the last 3 years). It feels exactly the same now. I am writing this while crying because the fear of going through this procedure and not getting any of my mobility back is overwhelming.

I was expecting there to be some muscle tightness, but the fact that there is a rock solid barrier still makes me so worried. When I spoke to my physio she said it was too early for any serious stretches and said "you know sometimes it's not soft tissue but bone that is the problem, and that cannot be stretched out".

I feel like back when I was 17 yo and they took an MRI of my hip and they told me that the changes I felt were permanent and I will someday need a hip replacement. I felt then like my life as I imagined it has finished.

Can there be some obstacle that physiotherapy and time won't help? Mobility was such a huge part of my decision to have this surgery and I just don't understand why the hip feels the same, there is just no give over 90 degrees. What bone could there be? :(

I am sorry if I sound melodramatic, I didn't expect to have to relive this feeling like potentially there is nothing that can be done. I am only seeing my OS at 3 months from surgery. Did it feel the same to any of you? I am not saying muscles being to weak to lift the leg over 90 degrees, or bending being painful. But what feels like a mechanical "no".

Thank you in advance as always <3

@ChickensMom You spent 20+ years limping on a progressively worsening hip. And now you are only 5-6 weeks out from having hip replacement .... a major surgery. Dear lady, it is going to take time .... quite a bit more time .... to get ALL the muscles and tendons in your leg and lower back in to condition to work properly! During all the time the hip was getting worse, all those muscles and tendons were also getting out of condition!

I only limped for about 3 years and it took me nearly 4 months to get left foot onto right knee. And 9 months to get right foot on to left knee. Right hip was the worst as it had fused - ball of femur had grown into the pelvis. Yes I could walk and climb stairs (slowly) right after surgery but the other movements took much longer. One of the things that sent me seeking hip replacement was a visit with my GYN for a routine exam. She had trouble doing the exam because my hips would NOT "assume the position" (if you know what I mean). A year after the surgery I went back for another routine exam and that time .... no problem at all! My GYN was impressed!

I know it's hard, but do be patient and do the exercises the PT folks give you. You need to slowly and gently stretch each muscle and trying to hurry things could actually make things get worse. When you do have your next appointment with your surgeon do ask to see the post surgery x-rays and discuss your worries with your surgeon. I seriously doubt there is actually any actual obstacle impeding your movements. After all this surgery removes the damaged bone and replaces it with the implant which is designed to work like a healthy, natural hip.

It really is early days for you. :friends:

When I had my right hip done in September, I had a similar crisis of faith. Even weeks after the surgery, the hip was still functioning like it did pre-surgery (but with less pain!). As I have healed, gotten stronger, and stretched, it functions much better. And did I mention the pain is gone? :) I am excited for when both my hips are healed. I plan to really work hard on strengthening, stretching, and function to get the most out of my investments of time, money, and pain. But as we are so often told here, we need to be patient and give our bodies time to heal up.

Best of luck! I bet you’re going to really start noticing marked improvement in the next few months. I like this suggestion of discussing it with your doctor, too.

I think we all have mental battles after having this surgery. I still question things when something doesn't feel right. And the more we worry the worse it gets, but that's what we are here for to tell you it's all normal and part of the process!
There's no perfect timeline to tie your shoes, put on your socks, cross your legs, sit on ground and get back up etc. I still struggle with some of the physical challenges and I'm over cautious in many ways.
It's definitely a recovery that requires some patience on our part and you will have days that you reach a new milestone and realize your body is getting there.
I wish you the best.

I was so scared to write this here and ask for advice, I didn't want to make it true somehow but speaking about it. But at this point it haas been on my mind for a couple of weeks and slowly chipping away at me. So I am just going to pour it out here.

Before the surgery for 20 years my hip would not move pass 90 degrees (it was closer to 80 degrees in the last 3 years). It feels exactly the same now. I am writing this while crying because the fear of going through this procedure and not getting any of my mobility back is overwhelming.

I was expecting there to be some muscle tightness, but the fact that there is a rock solid barrier still makes me so worried. When I spoke to my physio she said it was too early for any serious stretches and said "you know sometimes it's not soft tissue but bone that is the problem, and that cannot be stretched out".

I feel like back when I was 17 yo and they took an MRI of my hip and they told me that the changes I felt were permanent and I will someday need a hip replacement. I felt then like my life as I imagined it has finished.

Can there be some obstacle that physiotherapy and time won't help? Mobility was such a huge part of my decision to have this surgery and I just don't understand why the hip feels the same, there is just no give over 90 degrees. What bone could there be? :(

I am sorry if I sound melodramatic, I didn't expect to have to relive this feeling like potentially there is nothing that can be done. I am only seeing my OS at 3 months from surgery. Did it feel the same to any of you? I am not saying muscles being to weak to lift the leg over 90 degrees, or bending being painful. But what feels like a mechanical "no".

Thank you in advance as always <3
I do hope that you, and I will soon be fine. I went to watch two of my grandchildren doing athletics today.
I had to use a crutch to walk from the car, and my daughter said, “you do seem to have gone backwards since the last time I saw you.” This was not what I wanted to hear.
I feel sure you too think in bad moments that I have had all this surgery and I am no better than I was.
Hopefully this will just be a phase we have to get through.
I limped badly from 2001 to 2012 because of a smashed up knee on the other leg, and then from 2012 to this January 2023 with an arthritic hip.
I feel sure that we will both be fine, our bodies are just still all out of kilter!
Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.
We will get there.

Thank you all so much for all of your replies. I am late replying, I needed to gather strength after my little "menty b" yesterday. I am very very grateful for this forum.

Definitely feeling the blues in the past few days, I think the prospect of going back to work in just short two weeks has also started weighing on me. I don't feel ready. But, as my grandad used to say: the more you do, the more you can do.

I will meet my manager on Wednesday for a catch up and will ask for 50% time for the first two weeks.

Went to see the nurse today, and the incision is looking better and better. Still a couple of steri strips, and a cover up, but since I share my home with a cat who disregards my personal space completely, I am happy to keep it under a dressing until it is 100% SEALED.

I took advantage of being in the city for the appointment, and had a nice cup of earl grey tea and a smultron (wild strawberry) dessert, and got some freesias for home to celebrate my late dad's birthday. He would have been 71 yesterday. The daffodil in the picture is from my little garden, it got toppled by the rain :)

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0868.jpg

I am thinking that being away from work and left with my thoughts all day every day has probably contributed to my emotions being at an all time high. Maybe going back to the office would be a welcome distraction? Trying to look at the positives ;)

Last edited:
When I had my right hip done in September, I had a similar crisis of faith. Even weeks after the surgery, the hip was still functioning like it did pre-surgery (but with less pain!). As I have healed, gotten stronger, and stretched, it functions much better. And did I mention the pain is gone? :) I am excited for when both my hips are healed. I plan to really work hard on strengthening, stretching, and function to get the most out of my investments of time, money, and pain. But as we are so often told here, we need to be patient and give our bodies time to heal up.

Best of luck! I bet you’re going to really start noticing marked improvement in the next few months. I like this suggestion of discussing it with your doctor, too.

I am the same I am currently 4 months post op and I still feel my left hip (the 1 i had replaced) still feels similar to pre- surgery but with less pain as in restrictions when doing a SLR and things like that. What time scale was it until you got to the point you mentioned the pain had gone?

@Spongebob, hm, I am not exactly sure about how long it was. At three months, I went to Arizona to spend a month with my son and DIL and it was fine by then. We were literally climbing mountains and my hip did great. The left hip (the one I just had replaced April 12) gave me all sorts of problems, on the other hand!

@ChickensMom, tea time, your treat, and your flowers look so lovely! What a beautiful pick-me-up. You might be surprised how well you feel by the time you return to work!

Just catching up on your thread. I am sorry you were feeling low the other day. :console2: Post Op Blues are real for many. Often fleeting little episodes as you experienced. I love djklaughs post above and as you can see many of us agree with her words.

This recovery takes time and patience, both of which are hard to come by in these early weeks and months. You're doing a great job, really. You are engaging in the self care you deserve. Stopping for an Earl Gray Tea, enjoying a special dessert, all while (creating) knitting something beautiful. You're even caring for yourself in showing your undying love for your dear dad in buying flowers on his birthday, not to mention your plan to meet up with your boss to request a phased return to work. You're doing the best you can and it will pay off in time.

I believe what you noted on being away from work and left with your thoughts all day every day is probably contributing to your emotions being at an all time high, is a safe assumption. I hope the first days and weeks back are easy on you both physically and mentally. You know we'll be rooting for you and I will follow your return and progress with interest. I hope today is a good one!
@ChickensMom

PS What are you knitting if you don't mind me asking? Looks like you have a talent with those knitting needles in hand!

I wonder how many of us knit. It was wonderful to have this habit during my recovery. Made sitting with ice much more tolerable. I am guessing a lot of you anx it due to the fact you have to return to work. Maybe talking with your boss will help that!

@ChickensMom Post op blues are quite normal. And good self care with tea, yummy dessert, and flowers plus making reasonable plans and creating lovely knitting should go far to brightening your spirits. I love how the colors of your dessert matches the colors in the flowers - beautiful!

Just catching up on your thread. I am sorry you were feeling low the other day. :console2: Post Op Blues are real for many. Often fleeting little episodes as you experienced. I love djklaughs post above and as you can see many of us agree with her words.

This recovery takes time and patience, both of which are hard to come by in these early weeks and months. You're doing a great job, really. You are engaging in the self care you deserve. Stopping for an Earl Gray Tea, enjoying a special dessert, all while (creating) knitting something beautiful. You're even caring for yourself in showing your undying love for your dear dad in buying flowers on his birthday, not to mention your plan to meet up with your boss to request a phased return to work. You're doing the best you can and it will pay off in time.

I believe what you noted on being away from work and left with your thoughts all day every day is probably contributing to your emotions being at an all time high, is a safe assumption. I hope the first days and weeks back are easy on you both physically and mentally. You know we'll be rooting for you and I will follow your return and progress with interest. I hope today is a good one!
@ChickensMom

PS What are you knitting if you don't mind me asking? Looks like you have a talent with those knitting needles in hand!
Thank you @Layla for your kind and thoughtful message. I was tearing up yesterday when I read it, I think it was just what I needed to hear.

Oh and on the knitting subject, I am making a summer cardigan. Very much a beginner, I only started learning in January :)

6 weeks today. Mood has been better!

I am actually writing this from an acute clinic, but I will get back to this in a second.

I spoke to my manager today and we agreed on 50% time for the first week. We also booked my summer vacation for the first two weeks of July which is something to look forward to.

The weather was so nice and sunny, I was sitting in the garden, enjoying the start to my last two weeks of time off. I went to pick up my cat, and I am not sure if he was just in an off mood or what happened, but he decided we were playing and went crazy. He scratched my entire forearm, in some places deeply.

Now to be fair I did give him catnip about 15 before. This is not his normal behavior.

So I thought here we go, have to call my OS office again to ask if I will live ;)

The nurse said I should go to the clinic to see if I need antibiotics. Have been sitting here for 2 hours. I think they put me down as low priority, which I totally understand, but sitting for so long has been difficult nonetheless. I’ve been doing little rounds around the waiting room, contemplating if maybe I need an exorcist instead… it’s hard not to think I have some sort of a curse on me, it’s been one thing after another and I am tired. I say it completely as a joke, just for the record.

Milestones at 6 weeks?
- I can totally walk without crutches without any limp but not right when I get up and not for ages.
- I still have my sanity.
- No pain that would warrant pain killers for the last 10 days or so.

Keep your fingers crossed for me that I get to see a doctor soon. I have not eaten since breakfast and it’s 3pm here

Last edited:
Good luck at that doctor! Hope they advise everything will be okay. Good heads up about the cat. My cat has been avoiding me and my (previously) walker and (now) cane. She is very skittish about things like that. Maybe it’s best we avoid each other a few more weeks.

Good luck! Glad things are going so well otherwise! :loveshwr:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom