Reverse Shoulder Replacement The first day post op

Thank you so much for this Post Forum and your post as I get my TRSR on May 10th and have so many questions and preparation and these really help me with the stress.
I will be following yours's and other posts to stay on top.

Regards,

Mark
glad you are here Mark. I will try to be more consistent with checking in. Ask any questions. I had reverse replacement on Mar 3 and it has been much easier than I expected. Most of the challenges have been with inability to use my arms.

Hello. Thank you as well! I am scheduled for TRSR in less than 3 weeks, I appreciate your comments and this forum. It is very helpful.
glad you are here. I have been very pleasantly surprised by y recovery.

Joy0987,

That is good to hear - I just had all of my Pre-Op yesterday - What a lot of things they did! EKG, Blood Draw, skin check and more. I get fitted for my sling Wednesday. Also got a Lung Exerciser which is interesting.
I have a slight worry as my right arm is getting a right reverse TSR which will make my left arm my primary and it has a tendon issue on it's rotator cuff so I have to treat it gently! Getting my room ready to stay there a bit - Fun stuff but this makes it so better by having people like you post information - Thanks!

Hey there, Reverse TSR friends!
Just thought I’d check in at approximately 10 weeks postop.
I am officially beginning strengthening exercises in PT twice a week. Frankly, I was beginning to feel like PT was starting to feel like a waste until we started working on strengthening muscles that had been guarding and wasting for the past 2 years. It was quite an eye-opener for me to discover these areas were so stiff and weak. I have been compensating by overusing trapezius and other muscles which made up for the full correct body use I need to re-develop.
When I asked about the chronic ongoing ache, especially in the biceps/pectoral connection site, I was informed that while the my daily activities fall within the suggested ROM and weight-bearing range, it has simply been too much too often without enough rest time to heal in between activities. This came as a bit of a shock as my surgeon told me I was now “self limiting“ which I took to mean, if it hurts don’t do it. Though it hasn’t hurt at the time, apparently it all adds up at the end of the day. I hate to start being less active, as I have truly been conscientious about weight and ROM.
This discussion came about when I was dismayed at what a giant step PT seems to have taken. I already had ongoing ache and then this extra strengthening exercise seems like overkill but I was told to rest it in between sessions rather than every day usage.
Let this be a reminder/lesson to all of you. Rest in between working your new shoulder more than you think might be necessary!

My apologies if I'm the only one who doesn't get it, but why is it called a Reverse Total Shoulder Replacement?
Isn't it just a Total Shoulder Replacement?

Hi, Peter-
Great question! I am no medical authority, so I will give you my layperson’s basic understanding of a reverse total shoulder replacement in a nutshell.
It is called a “reverse“ because the ball and socket are reversed. Instead of the ball on your arm going into the socket on your body, it is the other way around. What are the advantages? My simplified understanding is that it is stronger and more durable and will hold up to harder use in the long run. Also faster and easier to recover from in the short term. Will likely give more limited range of motion with arm behind back. It was an easy trade-off for me. It’s not that important to me that I can hook my bra behind my back – lol.
I’m sure you can easily find much more detailed scientific information with a cursory look online.

@Peter Mac Also the "reverse" replacement tends to be used when there is damage to soft tissue (such as rotator cuff or tendons) plus arthritis. And standard is used more when problem is just arthritis or other bone related damage.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom