THR Can’t put sock on operated leg 9 weeks post THR

Norfolk

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Anybody else having this problem and when might it resolve. Also any tips on exercises for this

I can't remember how long it took with my right but it was quite a long time before I could even tie my shoe. I had one group of muscles in my right glue/hamstring that just would not cooperate. If I bent my knee it was like there was a terrible pulling back there which would not release. It took a lot of easy stretching to slowly overcome it. To this day I still get a twinge in those muscles at times with certain movements.
I went back and read my posts on my thread and it looks like it was around 12 weeks when things eased off.

Last edited:
@Norfolk Welcome to BoneSmart! Still early days in a process that can take one year or longer. For some this is one of the last activities they can resume. As Eman suggested - gentle stretches for now. It just takes time and patience.

Can you tell us which hip had the surgery and the exact date? We will make a signature for you.

For now - here are a few recovery guidelines:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thank you for the info. It was my right hip and operation was done on the 17th February this year

Well, I think I’m right behind here because I can’t put my sock on either side yet at six months (right) and nine months (left) from my surgeries. It doesn’t bother me because lots of other things are better so I’ll just keep trying.

Last edited:
@Norfolk Welcome to BoneSmart! Everyone's journey through hip replacement is different! How long it takes to get totally back to normal depends on lots of factors. Just for example how long did you limp on a bad hip before having it replaced? If you limped for a long time ( years rather than months) that's a long time for muscles and tendons in your leg and other areas of your body to get out of whack.

Prior to having both of my hips replaced, I had limped for about 3 years. Immediately after the surgery I could walk, climb stairs, and generally get around (albeit slowly). BUT it took me over 4 months to get left foot onto right knee and nearly 9 months to get right foot onto left knee (right hip was the worst of the two). The muscles and tendons around the hip - that make the hip move in all the directions it is designed to move - can take quite a long time to get back to proper functioning.

Many hips do not need physical therapy .... but some do need it. Are you getting any PT? If no, perhaps that would help. If yes, what does your PT person say about this problem?

I'm 13 weeks post THR left hip posterior MAKRO procedure and I didn't limp or have sock issue before operation but I too can't put sock on operated side
foot or tie shoelaces on that foot. Still using the Amazon sock putting on device and husband
Hoping I get this back as a real disappointment in recovery plan

Thank you to everybody that replied to my post. My physiotherapist said to just keep trying but not to push too hard. She said not to try on the outside of the leg. I had exercises to do 3 times a day for six weeks and now have different ones to do once a day (I think she said I can do them twice if I want to). She said walking is a key factor. After 3 months she said I don’t need to keep doing the exercises just build up walking so hope everything comes together then. I have just ordered a sock aid though just in case it takes a long time and my husband has to go out unexpectedly! I wish everybody going through this journey well.

Your PT sounds very clued into what this recovery is all about. Walking is the best exercise for a new hip.

What I found was what was impossible one day was very easy when I tried another day. Just keep trying. Or just sit on a bed and bend down to put on socks.

Sock aid does work. One thing that I did when putting socks on was after getting it started on my foot I'd lay on my back and do a heel slide. I could reach my foot that way to pull the sock up and get it in position.

It’s often just too much effort for me so I wear Birkenstock most days or slip on shoes! I am 8 weeks out and it’s really quite painful but I can do shoelaces - 2 weeks ago there was no chance - so it does get better slowly. But my hip really doesn’t like it so I am grateful summer is approaching so no socks I treated myself to gels on my toes instead.

Just starting 12th week post op. Surgery was Feb 8. anterior approach. I did not have a limp pre surgery. I can not put socks on or tie shoe laces. Struggle to get in the car. It feels jammed in the crease where thigh meets torso. Hip flexor is burning and tight. Any motion of bringing knee to chest sucks. I have more problems now then before surgery. Good luck, I'm going to follow your progress. Please keep posting.

Sock aid works well - glad I bought one. Still can’t put sock on without it. Hoping the magic 12th week will change things. Good luck with your recovery.

Anybody else having this problem and when might it resolve. Also any tips on exercises for this
Hi
Thanks for posting this. I’m on week 10 and can walk quite happily for an hour but still can’t bend my leg properly/reach my foot so it’s made me feel better to hear I’m not alone in that !

Glad my post made you feel better. It seems we are not alone
Aww, thats the best thing about this forum. You're NOT alone. :friends:
This recovery can take patience and I know you've both heard it before, but recovery can take a full year and many member's note progress into their second and even third years. Good things yet to come! :)

Just a quick update. 11 weeks tomorrow since operation and for the last 2 evenings managed to get socks on after a shower albeit being a bit of struggle and hurting a bit. Not pushing it too much as I understand you shouldn’t cause pain but definitely getting there slowly. Hope everybody else with this problem is making progress. Definitely do not feel normal yet but in a weeks time will start bending to the floor a bit more with operated leg and hopefully that will loosen things up. Also going to stop side sleeping with pillow between legs on non operated side. Can lay for a little while on operated side. Good luck everyone.

Some good progress @Norfolk ! Well done on being persistent! Yes, don't push at all. That hip needs time to get used to working right. I found any twisting movements resulted in some loud complaining from my new hips.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom