Reverse Shoulder Replacement strange lump after surgery?

straitsview

Country
United States United States
Hi folks I'm on the other side day four. My surgeon is very aggressive and wants us out of the sling and doing PT by day three. There was no way I could take my arm out of the sling on day three. I don't see him until Friday another 4 days away so I'm going to go with my gut at this point. I take it out every now and then but I don't leave it out it's too sore. I had a slight complication during surgery that I think might have set me back a bit anyways. The nerve block for my shoulder blocked my diaphragm they had to wait to get my breathing under control before they could do the surgery so it took an extra hour. The minute they laid me down I could not move air in and out of my lungs it was really scary and for two days after surgery until the block were off I could not breathe normally even just to sit up and go to the bathroom made me almost start to hyperventilate because I couldn't breathe. Anyone else go through this issue? But the block is worn off and I'm breathing better now I just think it might have set me back a couple of days. I have a good husband who is waiting on me hand and foot so I'm lucky. I did get dressed all by myself today and it was painful. I'm just typing now to vent a little bit and reach out for some support thanks everyone

which surgery did you have? I had a repair with tenodesis and i have a sports medicine OS who also is fast but the only thing exercise wise i am supposed to do is to remove my arm ( painful) and do pendulum swings a few times a day. It sure sounds frightening that the nerve block gave you issues like that!
Glad you are recovering from that! I hope they kept a close watch on you after that complication. It doesn't sound minor. I had my surgery 4/20 so maybe we had the same day?

@straitsview Welcome to the other side. So happy to read you are feeling better. That rough start must have been very scary. I've been with BoneSmart for many years and can't say I've ever seen a member have that complication.
I don't see him until Friday another 4 days away so I'm going to go with my gut at this point.
Good move. You know your body and your pain tolerance. The surgeon may want you to stick to a timeline. But in truth - every recovery is different. Pushing through pain never gets you anywhere after joint replacement.

Are you icing your shoulder at all? Ice for 45-60 minutes per session several times per day. Alway put a clothes between your skin and the ice pack.

which surgery did you have? I had a repair with tenodesis and i have a sports medicine OS who also is fast but the only thing exercise wise i am supposed to do is to remove my arm ( painful) and do pendulum swings a few times a day. It sure sounds frightening that the nerve block gave you issues like that!
Glad you are recovering from that! I hope they kept a close watch on you after that complication. It doesn't sound minor. I had my surgery 4/20 so maybe we had the same day?
I had a reverse replacement with bicep tendon repaired. I'm exhausted. Just met with the PT virtually starting gentle movement tomorrow.

@straitsview Welcome to the other side. So happy to read you are feeling better. That rough start must have been very scary. I've been with BoneSmart for many years and can't say I've ever seen a member have that complication.
I don't see him until Friday another 4 days away so I'm going to go with my gut at this point.
Good move. You know your body and your pain tolerance. The surgeon may want you to stick to a timeline. But in truth - every recovery is different. Pushing through pain never gets you anywhere after joint replacement.

Are you icing your shoulder at all? Ice for 45-60 minutes per session several times per day. Alway put a clothes between your skin and the ice pack.
Yes been icing a lot .. but you're right the breathing thing was so so scary.

. Anyone else go through this issue? But the block is worn off and I'm breathing better now I just think it might have set me back a couple of days.
Sounds like you had more trouble with the nerve block than I did, but I had trouble breathing after surgery and had to stay in the hospital overnight instead of going home because my oxygen level was low and had to go home on O2. It was realy scary the first nighrt when the aide took me to the bathroom and I could hardly make it back to bed because I was so short of breath. Of course the nurse was doing an emergency admission, so I had to just be scared for awhile and practice relaxing so I could breathe. I would probably do a nerve block again but this time I would know what was happening. It felt like an asthma attack and the respiratory therapist was not available to give me a breathing treatment because of short staff and treating three babies in the NICU. Awesome surgeon! Hospital was short staffed, unlike previously when care was superb.

Hi all , 3 weeks post op from a reverse today, doing "ok" ...question, has anyone experienced a large lump on the front of there shoulder after this ? it is below the incision site. or is this the actual new metal im feeling?

Not sure why admin moved the above post. No one will find it buried in this old post. It is a legit question that I will not get an answer to now and it is a completely different subject than my original post

Trying to repost this question so that it will not get buried in one of my old posts.
Hi all , I am 3 weeks post op from a reverse today, doing "ok" ...question, has anyone experienced a large lump on the front of their shoulder after this ? it is below the incision site. or is this the actual new metal implant that I am feeling?

@straitsview Your post was moved because, for the post op threads, it is best to keep all posts related to your surgery in one place. That way you and everyone viewing can read the whole story which, hopefully, will provide a way to answer your questions most fully. Also anytime you post to this thread it pops the whole thread up to the top of the queue and alerts anyone who has previously answered here that you have a new post. So new questions do not get lost at all.

I am sorry your question had not been answered - alas this section is not as active as hips and knees. As for what the large lump is I am not sure. It could be still some swelling from the surgery .... that can last for quite a long time. Are you applying ice to the area? Is the swelling painful in any way? Have you called your surgeon to ask about this?

Both of my shoulder replacements were standard ones rather than reverse and I did not have any big lumps such as you describe. So I don't know if that might be related to the reverse implant that was given to you or is something else.

@straitsview
I do hope you have called your surgeon's office about your concern over the large lump as to rule out the possibility you have developed a hematoma.
They need to be aware of this.
Sometimes patients develop pathways of drainage called sinus tracts at the incision site where blood and fluid can pool causing a hematoma

I am guessing that it is a pocket of swelling, especially this soon after surgery. The best way to find out is to call your surgeons office, to at least get some reassurance.
Peace of mind goes a long way in the early days post op.

I hope you are having a good day.

Hi folks I'm on the other side day four. My surgeon is very aggressive and wants us out of the sling and doing PT by day three. There was no way I could take my arm out of the sling on day three. I don't see him until Friday another 4 days away so I'm going to go with my gut at this point. I take it out every now and then but I don't leave it out it's too sore. I had a slight complication during surgery that I think might have set me back a bit anyways. The nerve block for my shoulder blocked my diaphragm they had to wait to get my breathing under control before they could do the surgery so it took an extra hour. The minute they laid me down I could not move air in and out of my lungs it was really scary and for two days after surgery until the block were off I could not breathe normally even just to sit up and go to the bathroom made me almost start to hyperventilate because I couldn't breathe. Anyone else go through this issue? But the block is worn off and I'm breathing better now I just think it might have set me back a couple of days. I have a good husband who is waiting on me hand and foot so I'm lucky. I did get dressed all by myself today and it was painful. I'm just typing now to vent a little bit and reach out for some support thanks everyone
My Husband developed a hematoma after reverse. They tried a guided ultrasound to remove blood and fluid; but it wasn’t done right away and not much came out. He now is doing exercises in a pool which is heated to 90.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member