TKR HaylingIslander Recovery Thread

I'm off work for a few days but my mum has taken a turn for the worse in a care home.
Sorry to read this. My mom is also in care and it can be very demanding running back and forth.

I'm glad you were able to take time off from work. I know it's hard, but try to find some time for yourself. We can't care for other if we don't take care of ourselves.

Sending hugs :console2:

@EalingGran Thanks just hearing someone say 10 weeks is early helps. And that you can do more at 21 weeks.

Sometimes I can hold onto it being early in recovery. And then there's all those doubts often made worse by others who say things like " you obviously don't heal well ".

It's all quiet just now so I'm going to ice and get an early night.

Enjoy BST!

10 weeks is definitely early!
You are doing incredibly well to be back at work and supporting your elderly Mum.
I do very little work and have cut back on grandchildcare ( my husband is doing more now). I am still gradually seeing improvement each week but am taking it steady.

I'll be 11 weeks on Wed. If I wasn't retired I don't know how I would work at this point.
You're working, resuming your lifestyle pre tkr and taking care of your mom. That's a lot. Your knee is objecting.
My first tkr I had to take on a lot of responsibilities suddenly at the 9 week mark. It took a good 3-4 weeks after that for knee to settle down. This morning I read my first recovery here.
Your knee will settle down, too. Just ice and elevate when ever you can. Its going to get better.

And then there's all those doubts often made worse by others who say things like " you obviously don't heal well ".
People who say this have no clue what this recovery is like. It continually amazes me, the things people say to us.

I‘m so sorry to read about your mother. :console2:

Hello HaylingIslander,
I'm very sorry to read that your dear mom has taken a turn for the worse. Prayers for her comfort and yours also. Take it slow and easy in Physio on Tuesday.
@HaylingIslander

Wanted to post an update on my 2nd trip into office.
It went better as I knew more what to expect and was more prepared.
Took my cryocuff to wear. One hour in fridge, one hour on knee, one in fridge and so on. You can't beat that cold sensation for pain relief.
Made sure I went for a slow 20 minute walk at lunchtime, and did a few gentle exercises, and longer walks round office.

Yes I could hardly walk that evening, pain relief and more ice needed.
But, the funny thing is, I felt it had done me some good the following day (,previous time it took me the next day to recover).
I think knowing we have to be kind to ourselves and ice and elevate has helped me.

Thank you bonesmart :dancy:

Wanted to post an update on my 2nd trip into office.
It went better as I knew more what to expect and was more prepared.
Congratulations! Knowing how to cope with difficult situations is half the battle and that sweet feeling of success makes it worthwhile.

:hi: Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you're establishing a comfortable routine back at the office.
Wishing you a wonderful week!
@HaylingIslander

@Layla Thank you!
I saw this message but hesitated posting for a few days. I'd had Physio the same day and it really threw me.
I'm uk and was given exercises within 24 hours of op. Then face to face Physio appointments every 2 weeks dropping down to 3 weeks. Each time a different couple of exercises get added.
From the off I've been happy with this Physio. He understood my anxiety, and did not push on my knee etc as he got that wouldn't work for me.
I think I was expressing concerns about my ROM and pain, but this seemed to lead to a bit of a tirade on his behalf. I can't remember all that was said but "you may never get to 140 rom, depends where you started, this is a prosthesis after all " etc .
I have felt very confused since and very sad, like I'm not understanding how altered my life will be.
Was I being silly to think I could get back to a reasonable place, maybe even learn to waltz when I have time in the future? His comments so wobbled me.

I'm about 4 weeks behind you and understand everything that you're feeling. I take heart from people on this site who reach their ROM journey at months and even a year.
My ROM is stuck at about 90. I find I'm very I'm very vunerable to what people say and their comments about my recovery and how they think it should be going, even well meaning family and friends.
I don't know how to bring up the people who had slow improvement in ROM but I'm sure someone else will be able.
Thinking about you x

Was I being silly to think I could get back to a reasonable place, maybe even learn to waltz when I have time in the future? His comments so wobbled me.
Hopefully you just misunderstood what he was trying to tell you. Most of our members got back to life and doing what they want, after their joint replacement, but it takes time. 2 months is still quite early in this one year recovery.

You will get there! Where you are now is not where you will end up! :console2:

Aww, I am so sorry you felt sad and confused. :console2:Your life doesn't have to be altered and its not at all silly for you to dream of getting back to a time when you'll be able to engage in all that you love and are missing, even waltzing!
The timetable for recovery is different for everyone, but it may take a full year to feel comfortable doing certain things and many notice improvement into their second and even third years post op, So chin up, have confidence that much brighter days are coming your way! :yes:
@HaylingIslander

@HaylingIslander don’t let all that talk of ROM numbers throw you. As many have said here, it’s about function, not numbers.

I don’t think I’ve had more than 120 degrees of flexion in my left knee for about 25 years. Here are some of the things I was able to do up until my injury in 2020:

-Riding and training horses (including endurance racing up to 100 miles in a day)
-Hiking and backpacking
-Snowshoeing
-Trail running
-Dancing (west coast swing)
-Yoga (with modifications for child’s pose)
-Running a farm with livestock and a huge, productive garden
-Anything else I wanted!

Now that I’m further along in the healing process, I’m starting to get back into the things I love.

You have lots of time to regain your ROM. But even if you don’t hit the exact *numbers* you’re hoping for, it doesn’t mean you have be limited :)

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope you’ve been enjoying some lovely Spring weather in your area across the pond. With any luck your Physio has been easier on you and you’re experiencing some steady progress. It takes time, but you’ll get there. Take good care!
@HaylingIslander

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member