THR Pre-op, anxious and alone

Hi Bevelina! I too went through terrible anxieties before my RTHR 3 weeks ago. I spent almost every waking moment researching all the details of surgery, what could go wrong, etc. etc. But it turned out that everything went smoothly, and I woke up in recovery with no pain, and just some nausea that eventually passed.

3 weeks later and I still have pain in my right thigh and knee, and I may be progressing slower than others, but everyday I feel a little stronger, and I can walk a little better. And the most amazing thing is that the bone grinding hip pain that I had before surgery is gone! Also, that awful stabbing pain that I had in the groin area is gone! As though it had never existed! And all that anxiety I had is melting away, and being replaced with a sense of hopefulness.

You are a LION, and you will come through this journey stronger and happier, I'm sure of it.:kittykiss:

:hugzz:Thank you for your experiences and encouragements! Thats so good to hear your journey so far, and happy to read how you feel now. I send my best wishes to you for speedyness.
I’m now currently waiting to see if i need the MRSA swab retaking before tuesday’s surgery, apparently nearly expired since my pre assessment appointment test. . Time’s a tickin tho, Friday tomorrow, so i don’t actually know 100% if this 2nd reschedule is gunna happen for sure... ‍♀️
Limbo doesn’t help a lion’s stress levels tho....

No, it doesn’t! I’m the same
Well FionaW,
sounds like you n me both had a whooola loada platefuls last couple of years, as hard as it is amidst pre and post OA pains and life dealing out sour cherries on top, i come to realise ... we must be made of some strong stuff somewhere girl!! Good to remind ourselves of that, when we all struggle deeply with our physical symptoms.

I haven’t worked out how to react with little hearts, or anything other than the thumbs up ‘like’, otherwise I would! ❤️ N’night!

@FionaW It looks like you figured out the hearts? Just in case you haven't and your last post was a fluke, I'll share with you. :heehee:

At the top of the open chat screen you will see a round smiley face and if you click on it, it opens up many emojis for you to enjoy. :curtsey:

Thanks @CricketHip . I just used the emojis on my iPhone keyboard to get that heart!
I keep getting notifications for other members have reacted to posts saying they’re friendly interesting and I can only see an option to like - do you know how I can give other reactions?

I had never had so much as a broken bone. I am 53.

At first I thought:
'Hip replacement? Maybe at 75'

The OA pain just kept getting worse. And quickly. In 7 months the only appointments I went to were doctor visits

I am in NY. We have folks all over the world.

Hope to see you on the recovery side soon!

I will echo what everyone else already mentioned, it is normal to be anxious. I think the preparations and looking after the logistics of what will happen after surgery sort of help our brains be occupied and not think about the procedure itself. It's like a nesting phase, just not for a baby, but a shiny new hip ;)

I did it all by myself. Well, friends drove me from the hospital, but that was it. I am not worried one bit for you, you will have your parents to keep you company and maybe bring you a meal or two :)

I think the hardest thing about having this surgery is the unknown of how exactly you will feel and what you will be able to do. The good thing is that the hospital will only release you when you can do those basic things like walking, getting dressed, going to the bathroom, that are enough to get you by even by yourself.

I wish you a really good recovery @Bevelina :flwrysmile:

Ahh @Bevelina , welcome! I think pre-op anxiety is pretty common. I certainly had it. In fact, it’s probably more accurate to call it pre-op terror! I’m prone to anxiety anyway, and I had every possible fear about dying, infection, dislocation, and all kinds of other problems… This was back in 2014 when I had my own right hip replacement, but I can honestly say the moment I woke up from surgery, I knew I’d made the right decision. And although the recovery process can be tough at times, if you’ve had a long period of pain and immobility, it is unlikely to be as tough as that. I found that there is a huge mental difference between pain and difficulties that get worse every day, and ones that get better every day, as your hip will after surgery. My mood lifted enormously as I felt myself recovering, and emotions that had become very rare like hope, and enthusiasm started to come back again.

My advice for what’s left of your pre-op period is to be kind to yourself. Kinda comfort and reassure yourself, as you would a small, frightened child. It IS a scary thing; you ARE being brave… but it’s gonna be worth it! Very best wishes with it all
I'm hoping this works for me.

I was thinking about you and want to wish you a very peaceful couple of days, leading up to your surgery. You are going to do just fine!

Best Wishes tomorrow, Bevelina!
Please join us on the healing side once your resting comfortably at home.
Hope to see you there soon! :wave:
@Bevelina

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88