TKR Surprised and a bit confuse...from looking around, that makes me normal - I guess!

Side Note: I tried going for a walk this morning at my local sportsplex. Will not be doing that again, at least not for a while. Way too much pain in both knees. Once around the large walking track and I headed for the parking lot! Honestly, I was a bit surprised by the difficulty that I experienced. I really thought that my surgical knee was in better shape. Thank goodness I have my semi-recumbent bike! You can tell a huge difference between impact and non-impact exercise. Roger

@socman Still early days! My trick was to try half as much distance as I thought I could do - especially the first try. Then if there were no ill effects, gradually build up the distance.

The good news is that what seems impossible one day is very doable on another day!

I cannot remember who told me to stop taking the Ibuprofen when taking Celebrex.
That was me. I learned the harm that can do through a bad experience. I was taking another prescription NSAID and taking Tylenol and ibuprofen occasionally. My tummy was almost constantly uncomfortable. My PCP sent to me a gastrologist for upper and lower scopes. He found that I had numerous ulcers and told me to stop all NSAIDs. I also developed some heart rhythm problems. I'm very aware of the dangers of NSAIDS.
I am now taking one Celebrex in the A.M., and Tylenol. That is it.
That is what I'm doing, except trying to take Celebrex every other day. On those off days I up the Tylenol.
I do not think I can take Tylenol PM.
Tylenol PM contains some of the same ingredients as Benedryl. Many people use that to aid in sleep. Not me, it speeds me up, as it does you. You can ask your doctor for some mild sleep aids to get you through this hump. You desperately need your sleep. I had to do that and it helped. Not a lot, but some. Any sleep at any place or time is a good sleep!

I started week 10 today.
I sure can't ride a bike like you can! Maybe 10 min making very slow rotations. I'm the same as you with the walking. Walking at our massive community clubhouse any more than 15 min has the knee screaming. I didn't think of it as low impact , but you're right! It definitely is!
So, thanks for that thought. I'm going to stick with the stationery bike!

Another night when sleep evades me...getting kind of normal anymore. Got one hour in bed, but was restless. This may sound weird, but I get strange sensations in my legs which amounts to a tickle that results in my leg muscles contracting/firing off. I think I mentioned this issue before. Oh well, it does not help to get upset about it. Just need to roll with it for now and hope it gets better. I sometimes think that I sit way too much in one position and this impacts by lower back, buttocks, etc., leading to nerve sensations. I also wonder if I have not developed some kind of restless leg syndrome due to everything related to TKR surgery. Hits me mostly at night.

Was concerned that my recovery was off target a bit, so I requested that my surgeon approve some visits to my physical therapy folks. I just had questions and concerns at week nine. Therapist checked me out and my flex and motion were both good. He explained that swelling around my knee was fluid build-up. He did not change my daily workout, and told me that "smart riding" when it comes to my bike was perfectly fine at this point in my recovery. Said that my scar had healed quite well. Overall, I think he was confident that recovery was moving ahead in good order.

I asked him about my leg muscle contractions/spasms and he told me that it was probably due to all the trauma that my leg and knee went through. He gave me the impression that it was related to the surgery and that I should not get too worked up about it...easy for him to say!!! His words were good to hear and reassuring. The problem is that I can have these sensations in my right leg as well. Usually, it impacts only one leg at a time - have never had the sensations in both legs at the same time.

Really, the biggest thing for me is the sleep deprivation. I guess that just calls for patience and understanding and will eventually get better.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Roger

@socman.....restless legs like you're describing are a frequent thing in recovery for knee replacement patients. It can happen when you do a bit too much during the day. It can also happen when you sit too much during the day. And it can also happen as a result of pain levels that you may not even notice associated with your new knee (possibly that fluid retention you mention). But whatever the reason, it is normal at this early stage in your recovery.

There are things you can do to help which are detailed in one of our Library articles I'll link for you below. I suggest you try taking 1000mg of Tylenol about 30 minutes before going to bed and put a heating pad at the base of your spine for a few hours. You can also try some of the other suggestions.

Sometimes when I would get this, I'd get up and do 5-10 minutes on my recumbent bike. That usually helped along with the Tylenol and heat. Be sure and take naps during the day if you need them.

Restless legs following knee replacement surgery

Jamie,

Thank you for shedding some light on this for me. Beyond sleep deprivation, the leg-thing has been very troublesome for me. I shall try your suggestions. I saw my therapist this past Friday for a single consultation...no exercises. When I shared with him about his concern, he, too, felt it was due to the trauma that my leg muscles and nerves suffered during the surgery...and that I would probably right itself with the passage of time. In any case, he was not overly surprised or concerned about the experiences with my legs.

Again, thank you,

Roger

10 weeks post-op at this time. I have noticed advancement in healing, but have concerns and worries that are probably presenting themselves due to my lack of knowing what I should be accepting and dealing with as normal. Less pain, but not pain-free by any stretch. Less swelling, but depends on the day. A bit less stiffness, but it is still a daily experience. I do elevate during the night and ice once or twice a day. Lower leg edema is still present, but not as bad...wear compression socks.

First off, the good! Recently, during most nights I fall to sleep in my bed pretty quickly with pretty high elevation (use a nice wedge with my adjustable bed). I usually remain sleeping for a couple of hours...then nature calls. This can happen two or three times. I usually get right back to sleep with Alexa's help (music). Eventually, I might get out of bed, head to the living room, more music (or Game of Thrones), and then sleep again in my recliner. I'll take it! Average between four to six hours a night of one-again, off-again sleep time. The important thing - sleep is coming a bit easier, and, while I can wake up a few times during the night, it's a toss up between my knee or my prostate...if I am seeking a reason!

I continue with my therapy routine which includes my 9 daily exercises and stretches. I usually do this on my bed. I can get through them with little to no pain. Flex and motion appear to be maintaining an acceptable rating.

Now, the second part...the not certain about things. Over the past two weeks, I have noticed that after sitting for a period of time (one hour, maybe a bit more), when I get up from my recliner the pain in both of my knees is sharp. Once I get vertical with the floor, I stand there for a few seconds as the initial knee pain wanes. Then, my first few steps are a bit shaky and include a bit of knee pain (from stiffness?)...in both knees. My right knee is bone-on-bone. After a few steps, my surgical knee feels much better, but my non-surgical knee just kills me. It is a very good reminder why I opted to have my first tkr surgery! With a bad right knee walking is pretty much out of the question. I have a knee shot coming on April 10th!...can't wait!

I wonder, at times, if my right knee is causing my left knee and leg to react with more stiffness and pain than one might expect at the 10 weeks post opt mark. I went to my local walking track a couple of weeks ago and could only manage one time around - the pain was pretty bad in both knees. That was it for walking!

I continue to right my semi-recumbent bike when weather permits. No really bad, adverse reactions to an 8-10 mile ride (ebike, peddle assist). Got to believe that it is good for my knees' motion. Have to be careful since the last time I rode I was running out of battery with three miles to go ... so I really stepped up the peddling and my knees felt an increase in pain for a few days...I think they were telling me, "Don't do that again any time soon!"

My concern is that my surgical knee still can be swollen and stiff (which may be normal at this point in my recover). I have started to feel small little moments of pain as I do exercises like short arc quad during which time the knee bends upward and downward. When sitting in my recliner, I move my surgical left up and down in front me which causes small twinges of pain in my new knee. I can also feel a bit of pain if I move my surgical leg in what some might call "the wrong way (unintentionally, while sitting in my recliner). I have also notice feeling my "new parts" move against one another from time to time. There can be a twinge of pain when this happens.

Again - forgive me for going on, but I just am a bit ignorant when it comes to knowing if what I am experiencing is just normal pain and stiffness from the healing process, or if there might be something that I am experiencing that may not be part of the normal healing process. Any suggestions, information, or insights is, as always, much appreciated.

Roger

My concern is that my surgical knee still can be swollen and stiff (which may be normal at this point in my recover).
I still get some soreness, heat and very mild swelling at by evening at 22 weeks.
I can walk up to 7 miles in a day without much pain but too many stairs/ too much standing/ too much sitting in one position can all still irritate my knee.

At 10 weeks, you aren't even one-quarter of the way into this year-long recovery, @socman. The pain and stiffness you describe are completely normal.

I think if you go back and read through some of the articles that Jaycey shared with you when you first joined after your surgery, you can educate yourself a bit more about the recovery process and take away some of that worry.

Be patient. It does get better with time.

Hi @socman,you're 2 weeks in front of me but we are both suffering from the same problems!I also have oedema in my lower calf and ankle which is apparently due to residual bruising from surgery,I was quite concerned about this but according to my physio this is not uncommon.I also have the problem on standing when I need a few moments for my LTKR to stabilise and also my right knee which is also bone on bone to catch up!!I have been practicing getting up without using my hands and also trying the stairs(normally)but the result,as my daughter says,is that I look like I have a wooden leg!!I'm also still finding it hard to sleep and find that I can get a couple of hours on my back but when I have to move the pain is incredible and then the deep bone ache stops me from getting any kind of comfort!However,I don't want this reply to be a downer as I just need to go back to the beginning(as you will too)to realise how far we have both came and how much more we both can do since the day of the op!I'm not saying that it's easy or that we're both fixed but I do believe that we're definitely getting there!

Benne68 - Thanks for the suggestion to go back and re-read a few of the postings regarding the big picture of recovery. Yes - it is easy to get caught up in the present while neglecting to think of the bigger picture.

Hendy - it's nice to know that I have a fellow traveler with a few of the same experiences. The biggest improvement in my progress includes a reduction in pain, good motion and flex, and going to bed at night with the expectation of getting to sleep...no longer dreading trying to fall asleep, waking up, getting up, and having my binge session with Netflix or HBOMax at 1:30 in the morning until I fall back to sleep in my recliner. I no longer get upset or stressed out about the lack of good sleep. What a relief! Roger

I no longer get upset or stressed out about the lack of good sleep.
Wonderful news! All will continue to improve since you're only about 2.5 months into a recovery that can last a full year. Lots of good yet to come. I hope you have a nice Spring!

@socman,I'm really pleased you've finally conquered the sleep issue,I must admit for me it feels like the impossible dream!:tantrum:

Layla,

Why do you always make me want to listen to Eric Clapton? As if you have not heard that one before. Thanks for the well-wishes! Roger

Hendy,

It can be hit and miss since pain still wakes me up, but the one thing I finally was able to do - I just accepted what I could not really control and I decided to take my sleep as it came. It didn't matter when or where. I found that this caused me to go to bed in a more relaxed state of mind...and, come what may, I was not going to let it bother me. I kind of started to embrace the early morning hours as "my special time" when I was able to listen to my music, do paperwork, and so on. At first, I found that time in the morning to be a time filled with stress and doom. I just had to keep reminding myself of the reality of our situation and that most everyone in here has experienced the same kinds of things...there is a peace of mind that comes with that. Many an early morning I got online and this website to remind myself of important things.

Even if I got up and out of bed, I knew that I would eventually fall back to sleep in my recliner or bed if I decided to head back there. Over time....less stress and I looked forward to even a few hours of "normal" sleep. Got to enjoy those small wins, while not over-thinking and over-emphasizing the negative side of things...which I did the first few weeks. I know - easier said than done at times, but it is possible to surmount the obstacles that TKR surgery puts before all of us.

Coming to terms with the issue (not being able to get a "normal" sleep at night), allowed me to relax and enjoy sleep, even if it was for two or three hours. I rejoiced in getting that much and looked forward to the day. Eventually, things started getting better. I also read the article again about "Post surgical blues - get ready for them"...and that helped me reduce my stress since I understood that what I was feeling was normal...again, causing me to shed the stress and anxiety of not realizing things completely. This website has been such a good help to me.

Listen, Hendy, if sleep came back to me (even if in a very limited form), it will come back to you. I'll try to send some good vibes your way so that you will start embracing the night and getting some well-deserved sleep. I am finding out that baby steps are OK. I have to keep reminding myself of the long haul in front of me. I do wish you well!

Roger

Last edited:
Roger, it sounds like you're getting your head in the right place for this recovery. No one will ever claim that getting back to normal after a TKR is an easy deal. It takes time, patience, and paying attention to your body. I'm pleased to see you're making progress.

You're welcome!
Yes, I have heard many Eric Clapton references here. Funny thing, not my real name,
but I do answer to it in real life, amongst other names, lol. My grandson has called me, Layla, since he could speak a name to get my attention. We have no idea where he came up with it, but it works as I've been trained to answer to it. :wink:

I love your advice on sleep, the relaxed approach you took. I feel your words will be beneficial to many going forward and it even felt calming to read about it. Thanks for sharing that!
A great rest of the week to you!
@socman

@socman,thank you so much for your kind words and I'm harnessing those good vibes!I must admit I've been a bit low these past few days but have had to give myself a good talking to and remind myself that it's not forever it's just for now!!

Hendy,

I cannot tell you how many times I had to remind myself about how long some of the recovery takes. Recovery follows some common themes and experiences, but every recovery is unique and very individualized in nature. Your recovery is your recovery and you know best how you might handle things. While it is physical (for sure), this kind of recovery is very mental and emotional. There are some great articles in this website that address that fact.

For me, I found that I easily got upset by the situation and that caused me to stress out and experience anxiety since I began thinking that my life (and I) was out of control. That I could not control elements of my recovery...I was just along for the ride. I finally got fed up with my experience and decided to make daily affirmations to myself. Those affirmations involved reminding myself that all WOULD BE OK, and that much of what I was experiencing had to do with my body's unique approach to healing itself. My discomfort, my pain, my distress and anxiety were all just part of my body doing what IT NEEDED TO DO in order to allow me to heal. I think that I just needed to step aside and get out of the way of my body's healing processes.

Things are not perfect yet. For me, with my right knee (bone-on-bone), the pain is greater now than at any time. My surgical knee is still healing (for sure), my right knee has never been more painful, BUT I have decided to go with it. I have an injection coming on Monday for my right knee and hopefully that will reduce my discomfort. My surgical knee continues to be stiff at times, along with swelling and related tenderness, but, in response, I just grab the ice wrap, or heating pad, and make sure to elevate my leg a few times a day with a wedge while in my recliner - awkward but it can be done! I continue to ride my semi-recumbent bike on my local nature trail...and that is not totally pain free, but I do not over-do it and converse with my Dr about it. I certainly do not wish to over-stress my knee, yet I feel the need to aid the healing process by pushing myself...just a little.

Hendy, as you read this and other posts, please remember that most everyone has been right where you find yourself...and where I find myself... You and I are part of a wider community that is going through a challenging chapter in our lives, but, together, we will all arrive at the end of this medical experience...better off than when we started! Be kind to yourself...try to sit back and relax (even meditate with deep breathing) a few times a day. And, never forget that we are all here for each other! You're never alone is all of this...

Roger

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom