THR Now in Post-Op

I’m receiving hydrotherapy sessions and also loving the weightlessness of the exercises in the pool. Yesterday I went to Acqua Aerobics because the Hydro was cancelled this week. Had to have an afternoon nap after it. I definitely intend to continue with one or the other or both. So much easier than land based exercise. @Peshay

It sounds so lovely and then a glass of wine, too? Wow, did I ever have my surgeries in the wrong country!

Hydrotherapy is a very good method for rehabbing. Glad this is offered up to you!!:swim:

I’m receiving hydrotherapy sessions and also loving the weightlessness of the exercises in the pool. Yesterday I went to Acqua Aerobics because the Hydro was cancelled this week. Had to have an afternoon nap after it. I definitely intend to continue with one or the other or both. So much easier than land based exercise. @Peshay
Couldn’t agree more Gloucestergal, just finished another great session in the pool. Feeling great, in a slightly exhausted way.

Finally got discharged from hospital yesterday. Three weeks after LTHR and ten days after RTHR. Mixed feelings about getting home, felt comforted having round the clock care in hospital and developed a good relationship with most of my fellow patients, but couldn’t stay there forever.

If I’m reasonably comfortable getting in and out of relatively low couch am I okay to sit there for an hour or two? Doesn’t seem to cause any discomfort/pain during or after.

After two weeks of twice daily rehab sessions I’m planning on giving the exercise's a rest for a few days and focus on just walking a few times a day, before resuming outpatient half a day rehab twice a week at hospital.

Yay for HOME! I believe you'll be happy you're home within a couple days, but it is understandable you'll miss the team you became endeared to as they cared for you. Maybe when you're feeling up to it you can bring them a basket of treats or something fun they can share to show your gratitude and have a little visit with them. I'm sure they'd love to see you and witness the progress you'll have made.

As far as seating, at only ten days post op from your most recent THR, I would suggest something sturdy and stable to begin with, nothing too soft and non supportive. A chair with arms to make accessing the chair and getting up from it easy. I’d want a good angle also. Nothing that slopes downward in the back. Height is also important, especially not too low to the ground. I hope you enjoy the next few days at home and taking a break from exercising. A great week to you! :wave:
@Peshay

Yes great to be home.

Thanks for your suggestions Layla, will make sure I’m on a sturdy chair with arm supports.

Nice suggestion about taking a basket of treats back to the hospital on Thursday when I start outpatient rehab.

Still more comfortable using two crutches while I do my walking outside but am only using one or none around the house. No rush but am looking forward to eventually walking unassisted outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Four weeks since LTHR and 2 and a half weeks since RTHR.

All is going well with twice weekly PT rehab and daily walking, assume it’s ok to have some discomfort while walking at this stage!

Is it normal to still have some numbness in my legs at this stage? I gather nerves have been damaged in the procedures? Each day seems to be progressively better but am worried there might be permanent damage, is that conceivable?

Secondly is there a simple way to gauge whether leg lengths are reasonably similar at this stage or do I really need to wait a few months?

Apologies for all my concerns, Thanks for your experienced input in relation to my concerns.

@Peshay the discomfort you are feeling is all very normal. You are post op from 2 major surgeries. Please don't push the walking and PT. Those hips need time to heal.

The numb feeling will ease. But nerves take a long time to heal. It is very rare that there is any permanent damage.
Secondly is there a simple way to gauge whether leg lengths are reasonably similar at this stage or do I really need to wait a few months?
Wait at least 3-4 months before getting measured. In most cases the leg lengths balance as your body adjusts t the new joints. Then have a PT or podiatrist measure your leg length.

Here's an article from our Library: Leg length differential - LLD

Thanks so much Jaycee, it’s so great to be able to tap into the great source of experience provided by this brilliant forum.

:wave: Hi there,
It is, Lefty's, one month anniversary today. Happy Anniversary!
I hope you have a wonderful weekend and Easter, if you celebrate.
@Peshay

Thanks Layla, celebrated with the longest walk I’ve done in years around the local park. Now a little tired as I ice but the only thing that really stopped me from walking further was my left foot getting sore? Hope that’s just from lack of use.

only thing that really stopped me from walking further was my left foot getting sore
This could be due to your gait changing post op. One question, are you wearing the same walking shoes that you used pre-op? We recommend replacing the shoes you worn most often as they will have a pre-op wearing pattern. This can cause all kinds of aches and pains.

only thing that really stopped me from walking further was my left foot getting sore
This could be due to your gait changing post op. One question, are you wearing the same walking shoes that you used pre-op? We recommend replacing the shoes you worn most often as they will have a pre-op wearing pattern. This can cause all kinds of aches and pains.
Great advice as usual, just so happens I have a good selection of new unused shoes-will start using straight away.

Happy One Month Anniversary, Righty!
I hope, Lefty, is doing well also. You're a brave soul going back for more at only ten days post op.
I hope you have a wonderful week!
@Peshay

One of my fellow patients who had both his hips done on the same days in the same hospital sent me this today generated by his son in GPT thought it might resonate with at least some here (apologies long)

“Chat GPT, please write a humorous monologue in the style of Seinfeld concerning hip replacements.”

Then seconds later:

You ever notice how getting older is like a car slowly falling apart? You hit a certain mileage, and suddenly, everything starts to go. You've got the knee issues, the back problems, and now, we've got hip replacements. I mean, what's the deal with hip replacements?

You know, they say the hip bone's connected to the... well, apparently, it's connected to a bunch of pain and a surgeon's vacation fund! I mean, you'd think we could come up with something better by now, right? We've got self-driving cars, but we're still getting stuck with a brand new hip like we're swapping out car parts!

And have you ever seen the size of these things? They're huge! It's like they took a door hinge and thought, "Yeah, that'll fit in there." No wonder people are walking around like they've got a giant bolt in their leg - because they do!

And the recovery process, don't even get me started. First, they say, "Take it easy, don't push yourself too hard." But then they say, "Make sure you're exercising and moving around." What's the deal? Do they want us to relax or run a marathon? I can't decide if they're trying to help us heal or just confuse us into submission.

You ever go to one of those group therapy sessions for hip replacement recovery? It's like a club for people who've been through the same rite of passage. Everyone's comparing notes: "Oh, I got the titanium model, what did you get?" "Well, I got the ceramic one - it's dishwasher safe!" I mean, come on, we're talking about hips, not fine china!

And what about the people who've had both hips replaced? They're walking around like the Bionic Man, but instead of superpowers, they've got a newfound appreciation for comfortable chairs and ice packs.

But you know what's great about hip replacements? It's the ultimate excuse. Late for a meeting? "Sorry, my hip was acting up." Don't want to go to a party? "Ah, I wish I could, but you know, my hip's been giving me trouble." People can't argue with a replaced hip. It's like a get-out-of-jail-free card for life!

So maybe, just maybe, there's a silver lining to this whole hip replacement thing. We might not be as agile as we once were, but we've got a lifetime supply of sympathy and a pretty good excuse to sit out the conga line at weddings!

Then:
“Please write me a lament about the pain of hip replacements in the style of King Lear.”

Again, ten seconds:

Alas! O wretched mortal, bear witness to my pain,
My weary bones, once robust, doth crumble and decay,
In youth, I strode like Titans, in strength and might arrayed,
But now, with faltering steps, I tread upon the earth.

Oh, age! Thou cruel tyrant, with rav'ning grasp dost claim
The vigor of my form, and leave me frail and weak,
Yet in my breast, the heart of youth beats fierce and unashamed,
Yet in my soul, the fire of yore doth burn undimmed.

But hark! What fate hath brought upon my feeble frame?
Two hips of artifice, to mend what time hath wrought,
Yet with each step, a pang, a twinge of grievous pain,
And in the night, I weep, lamenting what is lost.

O noble Lear, thou king of woes, in thy despair, I see
The mirror of my fate, a life now marked by grief,
Yet in my sorrow, shall I find the strength to bear
The burden of my fate, and rise above the storm.

For in the tempest of our lives, we find the will to strive,
And in the darkest hours, a beacon's light shall shine,
So, let me bear this cross, this pain of hip replaced,
And with the wisdom of the years, confront my destiny.”

They both are great!! It's nice to laugh about things related to our hips and healing isn't it?
Glad to read that you are doing well!

@Peshay , I wish I'd hired Chat GPT as my PT!!!! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Thanks for sharing the laughs and also your recovery journey with us. I hope you're doing well.
Lefty, hit a milestone today....Happy Two Month Anniversary!
A great week to you!
@Peshay

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom