THR 6 weeks post THR, live alone

The energy drain is real!

In the early weeks it is so easy to do too much.

Pare each day down to the essentials.

Momentum w healing picked up for me at 8 weeks.

I’m going by the rule that I can do one outing a day (not all days though) and one small household task a day. I’ve been breaking up jobs into very small chunks. Generally this means not everything is a disaster at the same time! I’m still only showering every other day since it’s tiring. I’m leaning heavily into cereal, sandwiches, and occasionally take out. I have groceries delivered. It feels better to set a reasonable goal and meet it than to sit and stew about what I can’t do. It makes me feel a bit more in control.

Good! Do whatever works for you! You're not even two months post op. You will feel an increase in stamina and feel more stable on your feet with each passing moth. Hang in there, it is a process.
Wishing you a Happy Easter...if you celebrate. :)
@Lulu77

Pay close attention to diet, your body needs good fuel to repair the damage. When it runs out of fuel it shuts down systems slowing healing and causing more fatigue.

I was depressed and lethargic until about 8 weeks and then it started to lift. I just woke up feeling lighter and more optimistic. The fear that I would forever stay like that started to slip away. I took longer walks, got some vitaminD. My husband was traveling like mad those early months so it was like I was alone. I know how hard it is! Hang in there- it will get better soon!

Well feeling really depressed again. Using all my energy for work and chores and otherwise just bored. I can’t read or watch tv anymore!! But all the things I want to do involve too much walking.

Lulu, I know you don't want to hear to take the patience pill but that's about all I can offer. I had a lot of difficulty not being able to do all I wanted/needed to do but in time you will be able to get back to your daily routine.
Friends to call and have drop over for a visit? Or just call a friend???
Possible to sit outside for a bit???
I'm not a big TV person either but I did find a few series on Netflix that I enjoyed.

Feeling more optimistic lately. My strength is definitely improving. I lifted my leg off the bed without using my hands!!! No more log leg :). I can go down stairs normally now too, although not up yet. I’m giving myself more grace too so I’m not as frustrated when I get tired. I honestly wasn’t sure I’d be able to lift my leg again.

Week 10: can walk without cane , still a bit of a limp, but not too bad. I’ve quit PT since I’m doing more now (work, chores, walking outside) and it’s costly and time consuming. I’ve reconciled myself with the idea it’ll take at least six months to be anywhere near normal. I don’t love it, but I’m well enough to live my life. Muscles are still sore though!

Hi Lulu,
Great news that you're walking unassisted now. It can take longer than six months for a complete recovery. It takes many a full year, noticing progress all along the way.

Here’s a tip -
Try heel-toe walking when you're limping.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe. It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Here is a visual of heel-toe walking.
1670298055216-png.87073

I hope this helps. Have a great weekend, Lulu!
@Lulu77

Week 10: can walk without cane , still a bit of a limp, but not too bad. I’ve quit PT since I’m doing more now (work, chores, walking outside) and it’s costly and time consuming. I’ve reconciled myself with the idea it’ll take at least six months to be anywhere near normal. I don’t love it, but I’m well enough to live my life. Muscles are still sore though!

This is such great news!

Week 12: So, I’m wondering if my leg is supposed to hurt all the time still? I have pain in the glute and the back of my operated leg pretty constantly. I know it’s getting stronger, objectively, but the pain has been the same for about six weeks. Anyone have any insight on this?

I’m starting to wonder if all the energy I’m putting into recovering is not worth it. The pain and slow gains are discouraging and I really just want to think about something else.

I'm sorry you are struggling with pain, @Lulu77. I know 12 weeks seems like a long time, but you are only about a quarter of the way into this year-long recovery.

We each recover at different rates. Some people seem to spring back quickly. Others -- like me -- need longer. I recall struggling with pain for a long time. Then, suddenly, one day I realized that I wasn't thinking about my hip at all.

You mention that you are putting a lot of energy into this recovery. Perhaps you are overdoing it? Maybe backing off a bit and giving yourself more time to heal would help?

It does get better. It just takes time.

Thanks. By “energy” I just mean trying to live my life while in pain and still unable to walk any distance, and certainly not without a cane. I live alone. No one can carry things for me or go get the car if I’ve walked too far. I don’t want to go anywhere I don’t absolutely have to, because it’s too hard trying to figure out what obstacles I’ll have to navigate and how much it’ll hurt later. People keep asking me why I’m still “hobbling around” like I’m a freak. I shouldn’t have done it. That’s the bottom line.

I’m sorry that you are having a hard time. I don’t think anyone is really ready for the long haul of recovery. I think if they told us how hard it would be, we would probably all think twice about having it done.

Hi @Lulu77
Sorry you are struggling right now:console2:
I often grew discouraged with the long haul of recovery, but I also realized that my hips weren't going to fix themselves and had also become discouraged with the chronic pain and sleeplessness presurgery that surely would have only become worse....
You said early on you have dealt with chronic illness your entire life so I am sure all you want to do is get through this recovery.
It does take the time it takes, and folks who ask why you are still hobbling about certainly can't Know how long healing can take...
Hope today is a better day!

Deflecting criticism and other people’s expectations about what a hip replacement recovery looks like has got to be one one the hardest things about this process. Even my husband, who was supportive throughout both recoveries, had little remarks and suggestions for me ranging from telling me how his 31-year-old boss NEVER needed crutches or a cane to telling me he thinks it’s time I get off the painkillers at one week. :hissy: I am sorry you’re dealing with that and what must feel like a slow recovery to you. The mental game is the hardest part. I tried hard (but not well) to manage my expectations with my first surgery. I think I managed them a little better with my second.

I am wishing a turning point for you when things start to get exponentially better. :flwrysmile:

Fanny,
Yes, my partner has never had any type of surgery let along a replacement. He is a "self-healer" so he claims and tells me to massage back of my knee when my back hurts. He means well I know he does and could not have been more supportive through not only my hip replacement but broken ankle 4 years ago which required surgery, pins and rods. Let me tell you I'd rather do the hip all over again than an ankle.
LuLu,
Stay the course, it will get better, I think we all hit peaks and valleys during the recovery process.
Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms out there today!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562