THR THR - One year on

As well as being hyper vigilant towards any aches, pains, niggles to do with the hip, there’s also the rest of the body! I’ve woken up with one ear which feels glued shut and earache in the other one. Oh joy!

Hydrotherapy was cancelled this week so I took it upon myself to join an Acqua Aerobics class. The water was colder and the exercises less specific than the physio-led ones but I enjoyed it. Feeling tired now.
I guess it remains to be seen tomorrow or the day after whether I overdid it. There were some exercises I opted of so I think I’ll be ok. I also managed the ladder without any problems.
My ear is still bugging me although not hurting, the pharmacy gave me some drops to help which turn out to be virgin olive oil which I already have in the cupboard. Still, the little dropper is handy.

@Jamie @Jaycey @Layla
@Mojo333 @benne68
And any other admins out there.
I posted a question back at the beginning of the month about the One Step Program - I just get an Error message when I click the link. Is it still operational through BS?

I am so sorry your question was overlooked, Gloucestergal.
It is my understanding that we are re-evaluating and looking at the possibility of revising our partnership with the One Step Program at this point, so stay tuned.

Thanks for reaching out. I hope you're doing well and having a good week!
@Gloucestergal65

Away for the weekend at the seaside with friends. Lots of anxiety beforehand about coming away. A two and a half hour journey by car, a steep hill down to the beach, a house that I’m not used to, walking on the coast path and/or beaches etc.
The journey here was fine, broken up by a visit to a lovely garden. Ate well yesterday evening and enjoyed a couple of glasses of wine. Walked 8000+ steps today (3.4 miles) in sunshine along the coast which was quite flat and well paved. Lots of chatting and laughing. Threw myself down on the sofa this evening without the extra cushion and was fine. Managing without the raised toilet seat. Only need help tying one shoelace.
So far so good. So glad I decided to come and not let fear and anxiety rule.

Just arrived back at the house after a lovely sunny day at the beach and lying flat out. I’ve been walking in soft dry sand, wet firm sand, sandy stream beds, pebbly bits but not the bigger boulders or rocky areas. Collected a few shells and pebbles (using the golfer’s reach). Even picnicked on a rock. Only 2.5 miles today - 5700+ steps but harder work. Especially the 500m down a steep incline to sea level and even worse the 500m back up. Hence why I am flat out on the bed. Still, I did it. No pain. Just tired.
Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Sounds like a lovely day in so many ways!
I'll cross my fingers for you also, for tomorrow that is. That was a lot of activity with varying terrain. If you're sore tomorrow, you know the drill, rest, ice, repeat. :ice: Hopefully won't be necessary.:fingersx:
Have a wonderful week!
@Gloucestergal65

Had a more restful day today with less physical activity, not because of pain or soreness, just because I was quite tired and felt like chilling. Back to an afternoon nap too!

Back at home now after a fantastic weekend with four lovely friends. We were so lucky with the weather over the weekend. It has poured with rain all day today reminding us of the weather we could have had. Anyway, it didn’t stop us reusing our tickets for the National Botanic Garden in Wales. Spent a couple of hours in the Mediterranean Glasshouse along with some very excited teenagers on a school trip! I’m so glad that I conquered my anxieties and that I didn’t let them get the better of me. Now for three days of grandparent duties with a toddler.

Still some tenderness around the scar area but the tightness and discomfort above the knee seems to have eased.

Anyway, it didn’t stop us reusing our tickets for the National Botanic Garden in Wales. Spent a couple of hours in the Mediterranean Glasshouse
Had to look up the Great Glasshouse! The largest single-span great glasshouse in the world houses the largest collection of Mediterranean plants in the Northern Hemisphere.
:loveshwr:
Wow! Amazing
Now for three days of grandparent duties with a toddler.
Now that CAN be work AND Play...hopefully not alot of lifting involved.
Still some tenderness around the scar area but the tightness and discomfort above the knee seems to have eased.
Great to hear the knee is much better.
My scar was sensitive (decreasing over time) for the first few years.

@Ocean I’m originally from Carmarthen - Swansea was a day out for us. Gardens weren’t open back then either. I think another trip would be worth it when the weather’s better and everything is blooming.

Physio appointment today and everything is moving in the right direction. My glutes need serious attention on the OS to get them working more efficiently. She did some pressure point work from below my knee and up to the scar. Found a couple of painful spots below my knee but above my knee she said feels quite loose and I have noticed that that area of discomfort had lessened. The most painful spot was below the scar where I have been feeling soreness and tenderness but she said it is just tension in the muscle there which she has hopefully now released. I have been gently massaging with bio oil but she seems to think I need to be a bit firmer to help release the tension. She asked me to do a clamshell but I could barely move my leg. She said not to do it at home. She just wanted to see how I was faring in that area. So she gave me some resistance band exercises to do and suggested pool exercises like sideways walking and fast jogging. She feels that I will get rid of the limp once my glutes are working again.
I hope so. I’m at about 3.5 months now. My plans to walk more each day have gone by the wayside and I’m still on an average of 1.6 miles a day. Not too shabby but the wet weather really doesn’t help. My walking symmetry is definitely on a downward trajectory although it does go up and down and my walking steadiness is definitely in an upward trajectory. Step length and speed varies. Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I think I might be ‘spitting a stitch’. I mentioned it to my physio yesterday and she took a look and said she couldn’t see anything. However, when I touched my scar yesterday I felt something like a small cactus needle splinter and a sharp pain. I can’t see anything either.
I think she said if there was one, not to worry, it will work it’s way out but now I’m not sure.
I was planning on going swimming but now I’m not sure I should.
Advice please @Layla @Jamie @Mojo333 or any other BS staff.

I think she said if there was one, not to worry, it will work it’s way out but now I’m not sure.
It will work its way out. But if there is any red area I would avoid swimming for now. You don't want the risk of infection. You could also phone your GP for advice.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back