THR Hockymum10's recovery

@Hockeymum10
yes, those nerves reconnecting
Sharp, fleeting weird zips and zaps that caught me unaware also.
Also burning sensation:flabber:
Happened about the same time for me and I was on the forum asking the same....
Kept on for a time, and got less and less frequent.
Oh thank you - I’ve been stressing all night, worrying what it could be. They are very painful ! Thank you for posting x

Hi - when do people start walking outdoors and how far ? Thanks

We are all different in our healing journeys. I had my first THR in September and would walk outside quite a bit. I think starting around by day 7 or 8.. I wasn't worried about distance, I was just glad to be outside, enjoying the late summer sunshine. Began with walking my driveway, back and forth. With my walker!
Then slowly added some extra. The key is to listen to your body. The sneaky part is that you might feel great and walk more only to feel it later so it's best to err on the side of caution.

Last edited:
@Hockeymum10 - I made sure I had someone with me the first few times and added a little bit more each time. I think it was at least a week before I ventured out, although the weather didn’t help in December.

Be patient, your incision will heal. I amazed how quickly mine closed up.

Hi - when do people start walking outdoors and how far ? Thanks
Of course a lot depends on the weather and what your property is like. With my first it was pretty cold out and it was a couple of days in that I used my walker and went out on the driveway a little. With my 2nd the day after I was home they put a roof on my shop and I went out to look but that was a bit much more than I should have. As far as distance goes I can tell you from experience don't go far because you have to walk back. I started walking to my mailbox and back which is a fair distance but easy. I eventually started going down my road a little further each day until the day I went too far and had to lean on a fence post for quite some time before I could try and make it back home.

Hi - it’s 4 weeks since my surgery, am I ok to go and watch my son’s ice hockey game tomorrow do you think ? My husband would drop me at the door, I’d have a pretty short walk to the rink then we’d ask for a chair to sit at the top of the seats as I wouldn’t manage the little plastic fold seats. Or is 4 weeks too soon ? Thank you x

I think this depends completely on how you are feeling.
Have you gone to stores or anywhere else? And if you have were those trips exhausting?
I think if you are up to it just be mindful of your surroundings and go and enjoy. If you can't sit for entire game no harm in leaving a little early.
Let us know how you do if you go.

The zaps and zings are the nerves protesting being touched.

Totally normal. And these fade pretty quickly

I personally would wait until the incision is healed at 6 weeks to be in any indoor crowds.

You want to avoid infection.

I think you should go on the understanding you can leave early if it gets too much. I went to the theatre last night (well Yr6 school play as I am a teacher and miss them!) and although I took cushions it wasn’t exactly comfortable, but mentally it was fantastic to see people and feel normal for a bit. Yes I ache today but it was totally worth it. Infection never crossed my mind! My incision is closed with no dressing after 2.5 weeks. Do what you feel comfortable doing, but your son would love you to be there even if it’s for half an hour or so and I reckon you’ll feel good for giving it a go!

Hello and Happy One Month Anniversary!
I think the hockey game may be doable as long as hubs realizes that you may become uncomfortable and need to leave early. Then again, you may do just fine. I suggest you bring a cushion to sit on for comfort not knowing what the seating options are. Obviously stadium / arena seating is normally hard and uncomfortable, especially for a new hip. I say...Go For It! Dress warm, bring a cushion and enjoy! Let us know if you go and how you handled it.
@Hockeymum10

As far as distance goes I can tell you from experience don't go far because you have to walk back.
Great advice from @Eman85 - worth remembering. Later, when beginning to walk unassisted, it's advisable to take a crutch or cane with you in case you need it on the way back!

Hi - it’s 4 weeks since my surgery, am I ok to go and watch my son’s ice hockey game tomorrow do you think ? My husband would drop me at the door, I’d have a pretty short walk to the rink then we’d ask for a chair to sit at the top of the seats as I wouldn’t manage the little plastic fold seats. Or is 4 weeks too soon ? Thank you x
Going is no big deal, staying too long might be. Being uncomfortable even sitting will wear you down and can cause pains later. Best case I would say is to be ready to leave early if it gets uncomfortable.

I went to a few hockey games when I felt "borderline" up to it - as in, I felt about 85% confident, plus I had a lot of motivation to start getting out and attending things and seeing people. I used my walker because it gave people a visual cue to give me a little space and I also sat in accessible seating where available because it gave me a bit of breathing room. So if you are still using aids to walk, I'd highly suggest bringing them. And my wife did the same your husband is suggesting - dropping me off at a clear, short path to the door and then picking me up again.

It's pretty exhilarating to get out into the big world but it can also feel a little....much, so don't be surprised if you have moments of "whoa....this is kind of a lot!" Especially if your son is at an age where hockey games become very intense. No standing and getting red faced and pounding on the glass while screaming at the zebras, OK?

One other aspect of being out and about that was tiring for me was continually assuring people that I was doing well, recovering nicely, etc. They mean well, but nobody really wants to hear a full scale report on all the glorious little ups and downs of recovery. All that smiling and cheeriness and attention kind of wore me out - I don't know how celebrities do it. :)

Have fun and hope your son has a good game!

Hello and Happy One Month Anniversary!
I think the hockey game may be doable as long as hubs realizes that you may become uncomfortable and need to leave early. Then again, you may do just fine. I suggest you bring a cushion to sit on for comfort not knowing what the seating options are. Obviously stadium / arena seating is normally hard and uncomfortable, especially for a new hip. I say...Go For It! Dress warm, bring a cushion and enjoy! Let us know if you go and how you handled it.
@Hockeymum10
Thank you for your reply. I will decide in the morning I think

Going is no big deal, staying too long might be. Being uncomfortable even sitting will wear you down and can cause pains later. Best case I would say is to be ready to leave early if it gets uncomfortable.
Thank you for your reply. I’m so undecided if I would be ok or not so I think I will see how I am tomorrow and decide then

Maybe "make an appearance" but not stay for entire game. Arrange for a ride home as soon as you think you need one if your husband wants to stay longer. I am sure your son would understand that you both needed to leave early. And he'll be over the moon that you made the effort. Saludos!

Hi everyone. I went to my son’s game I used a chair from the cafe rather than the folding stand seats and I was fine. I’m glad I went - it’s Mother’s Day and my son scored 1 goal and got 1 assist so it was a lovely Mother’s Day present

@Hockeymum10 What a lovely outing and treat for Mothering Day! And I bet your son was thrilled to see you there and be able to give you your present of seeing him play so well! :egypdance:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom