TKR LTKR

My knee was off-color for a few months. As long as yours isn't hot and red, you are probably just fine. There is a lot of healing work going on inside your knee and that can cause it to be a different shade. If you are really concerned about it you can certainly take a photo with your two legs together to show the difference to your doctor.

It's not hot and red just quite pink compared to the other leg,I believe its just the swelling as had a small discharge of watery blood a couple of days after my staples were removed,just wanted to put my mind at rest as have friends who have commented on the colour!

just wanted to put my mind at rest as have friends who have commented on the colour!
Unfortunately, too many of our friends make comments that steal our confidence. I hope you can tune out a lot of those comments.

Hi everyone, well I'm 6 weeks post-op and would really have liked to post that I'm doing amazing but unfortunately that's not the case! I feel like it's 1 day forward,1 week back as my swelling is still quite awful and is really affecting my rom, my extension is totally fine but without a good bend I find walking(especially uneven surfaces)quite difficult and to be honest I'm becoming quite anxious every time I leave the house! I am scheduled to see my consultant tomorrow and worry that he will be as disappointed with my progress as I am. I'm struggling to sleep and am now resorting to staying on the sofa as I find this more comfortable than the bed! My major concern is still the difference in color between my left leg and my right as by the end of the day it's really quite red and inflamed, has anyone else suffered from this? I'm worried that I may be having some kind of reaction to the knee itself or maybe some kind of infection. I'm sorry for the long post but I'm just so down at the moment and just can't seem to visualize returning to my normal life!!

It's good that you are seeing your consultant tomorrow. Be sure to bring up your concerns to him/her. They might want to do a fluid draw especially if your knee is hot. A healing knee is normally darker and warmer than the old knee, but if it's hot, then your doctor will know whether or not to investigate possible causes.

Hi @sistersinhim, I've seen the consultant and he has no concerns about my leg color, quite normal apparently! My extension is perfect but my ROM is only 90 so still have a lot of work to do, had a few exercises with the physio so feeling it at the moment! The surgery was running over an hour late and this as well as the car journey there and back has left me very stiff and swollen. Fingers crossed that better days are coming!!

Oh, that is good news that you have no worries about your color! 90 degrees is good for only 6 weeks out. That is exactly where most OSs want you at 6 weeks. You don't have to work at your ROM, it comes naturally as you heal and your swelling goes down.

Glad you had a good visit with your surgeon and they reassured you.
I had my 6 week check with my surgeon and was also at 90°. Surgeon was fine with that but I definitely have ROM envy when you hear how others are doing.
I did some googling to find a good sleeping position/s. I sleep on my side, operated leg underneath, pillow between legs and non operated leg right over in front. Hard to explain maybe a bit of a Google could help you?
I find I have a couple of good nights then a cranky one then couple of good!

Hi @sistersinhim, I've seen the consultant and he has no concerns about my leg color, quite normal apparently! My extension is perfect but my ROM is only 90 so still have a lot of work to do, had a few exercises with the physio so feeling it at the moment! The surgery was running over an hour late and this as well as the car journey there and back has left me very stiff and swollen. Fingers crossed that better days are coming!!
I'm glad to read that you don't have anything to worry about in terms of the coloring. I'm 4 1/2 weeks out from my surgery and I will say my knee actually looks really good. I wish it felt as good as it looks :) I wanted to share that I also have good days and then set backs where it's so frustrating. The tight band feeling (like I wish I could pull the velcro strap and take it off - LOL) is frustrating along with the lack of sleep. So many people offer great support here though and it's good to read others posts because you realize you are not so different.

I will return to work at week 7.5 - luckily I will only work 2 days that week and then have a holiday. So essentially returning at the 8 week mark. I also have an office job to which I can work at home 3 days a week so easier to keep elevated in my case!!

Hang in there!! :)

Hi @HaylingIslander believe you me I have tried every sleeping position under the sun and can't find anything that works!! I think that the bed is just to flat and I need something that kinds of cocoons me (if that makes any sense at all!) At the min the sofa is the only refuge I have, even if only for a couple of hours!!

Hi @familybates I also have that tight band feeling and some days I wish I could just take my leg off for a few hours and stick it in a corner! It is good to read about everyone else's journeys and I've taken so much good advice on board but someday I just get so frustrated with myself!!

You're about 6-7 weeks post op?
For some reason 4-7 weeks was a stupid, painful, swelling, weird time for me. I called it limbo. Nothing good was happening, but nothing really bad was happening. The tight band was awful. Leg/knee felt like I was dragging 50 lbs. Wasn't sleeping. Or eating much. Miserable.

But....I kept icing, elevating, resting. Gradually, it started to improve. Gradually. Yesterday marked 9 weeks post op. Everything I mentioned above has lessened so much. A very little achiness, tightness almost gone. The 50 lb drag is gone.
ROM is fine with no pt.
Hang in there.

Try a bunch of pillows in your bed to make a cocoon.

Hi @beachy I do feel like I'm in limbo, 7 weeks yesterday and everything still feels like a struggle!I Ventured out today for coffee and a short walk, but am now really stiff and swollen so it's to the sofa to rest! The sleeping situation is now slightly better and have managed 2 nights in bed but it's still not the best place to be, somedays (well most!) I really do regret having this operation!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Hendy Just remember - all this is temporary. You will not have all these issues once that knee is healed. Ice and elevate between being active. Seven weeks is still early days!

As Jaycey said, it is all temporary. Right now you have to work hard on the swelling. Lots of time icing and elevating. Limit your activity....go out for coffee, but bring it home instead of sitting in the shop with your leg down. Take a walk, but not the same day as a trip out. We all feel like this should be over by now. But, we still have a way to go.
I'm 10 weeks today. I can do more than 3 weeks ago, but still have to be careful. My knee is always swollen. Some days more than others.
Making a short grocery run soon .....very short. Icing and elevating now before I go.
But, it does gradually get better. And when your knee is healed you will be very glad you did this.
Patience:console2:

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I am sorry you're not enjoying the progress you hoped for.
Hoping April is a better month for you. Wishing you all the best!
@Hendy

Thank you @Layla I must admit I am progressing, if slightly slower than I'd imagined, but had an appointment with physio who believes I'm doing really well!I Did believe that by now I would be a lot further forward, but as everyone keeps reminding me it's a marathon not a sprint!! I've had to wait many years before I was able to have this TKR because of my age so there's a lot of muscle that needs to be rebuilt and I'm actually having to learn to walk again! Lack of sleep and a feeling of inadequacy has really affected my mental health and I can honestly say that I've had some really dark times, but l can actually see a marked improvement these past couple of days so I'm hoping, fingers crossed, that I've turned a corner!!I Must say a massive thank you to everyone who posts on this forum as it's given me so much insight and also hope that one day I will appreciate this new knee!!!
THANK YOU all you new knee warriors!!

@Hendy So glad things are improving for you! Yes, no one can predict how you will recover. For some it's a breeze. But for many of us it's a long and very slow process.

Here's to continuing improvement!

Great post! As you get stronger ( and you will) and are able to do a little more, it does help with mood and pain.
Just be careful to no over do it. The ODIC (over did it club) is not a fun place to visit. Listen to your knee.
We're all different in our recoveries, but I found that 8 week point to be the turnaround, too. Its only getting better from there! We're 3 weeks apart. You got this:yes!:

I sure do wish my surgeon and team had told me before the surgery that the recovery is as slow and long as it is. I would have managed my expectations very differently. Seems very few know going in how long a road this is going to be.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom