Ten years out and need a spacer exchange

bmxmama2

Hi, everyone. I had my left TKR 12/17/12, but it has become significantly more painful over the past six months. My doctor has said that I need a spacer exchange because of instability. My knee clicks and I can feel it move a bit. The joint is firmly cemented into the bone though. Anyway, this is a bit nerve wracking.

He said that this surgery is much easier than the original TKR and can be done as an outpatient.

Can anyone give me some insight as to what I can expect as far as recovery, PT, etc.?

Thanks! Have an amazing day!

Last edited:
Thank you for the resources you passed along!

I am scheduled for a Ceretec WBC exam next week. It sounds a bit scary. I can't really find any information on how the procedure goes specifically for knees.

Does anyone have some insight? I'm terrified of needles/IVs so I like to know what I can expect in advance.

Thanks for any help you can give!

@bmxmama2 If you plug "Ceretec WBC exam" into any search engine there is a lot of information on what takes place during this procedure. Or call the hospital and ask for information. Does the hospital have a website? Sometimes there is patient information on a hospital website.

Hi, Jaycey. Thanks for your response.

I searched Google before I posted this, but there are varied responses. I'm looking for specifics.

For example, some sites say it's a simple blood draw from your arm, others say it's similar to having your knee aspirated with the huge needle. Some say it's an IV or port, either staying in for the withdrawal and injection or you get two separate IVs. If it's the knee and the aspiration needle, do they at lease use the freeze spray to numb it first?

It's those kinds of questions because I'm the biggest baby when it comes to needles. Like I was more scared of the IVs needed before the TKR than the actual surgery itself. LOL

As has been suggested, I would call and ask. What I would also do is invite a friend to go with you. Someone to chat with in the car and while waiting. Just to distract you. Then afterwards, who knows, possibly go for coffee, brunch, lunch or whatever you choose.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Steveg63
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom