THR Time to change things up.

Are you squatting with weight?
I go to the gym but do just cardio and and hand weights or bands for toning. Plenty of stretching. I do squats just with hand weights or no weights at all. I just went through a scare with my left thinking I damaged the implant from lifting things that were too heavy at the house. IT band gets sore and takes a long time to heal if strained.

No weights, just my own body weight on squats. I use a 50 lb bar for the rest of my workout.
I’m thinking my problem may be my new Bauer slides. Wearing them around the house seems to exacerbate the pain in my thigh. I stopped wearing them & went for 3km walk with our dog wearing proper merrell hiking shoes. Time will tell.

Attachments

• 2ABD45D5-E02E-47F7-9E8C-EFA8998150A1.jpeg
    2ABD45D5-E02E-47F7-9E8C-EFA8998150A1.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 63
  • BA2182BE-C3F1-43F6-A44B-321354E97B51.jpeg
    BA2182BE-C3F1-43F6-A44B-321354E97B51.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 2BAA38B9-AF4D-4155-BAA4-4E96654B889E.jpeg
    2BAA38B9-AF4D-4155-BAA4-4E96654B889E.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 60
Post-op I was wearing Skecher slip ons, very comfortable but after increasing my walking created foot problem ended up with Plantar Fasciitis. Not the best shoes for distance walking.
No weights for squats is good, I keep my squats shallow like just touching my butt to a chair helps preserve my knees. In class many times we'll do 100 over the course of an hour.

I tried sketchers, but found they didn’t have enough support. I found the rubber sole too spongy side to side.

Like you I'm wearing Merrells and I've found Power Step insoles to be really good. I just bought a pair of Keens so I'll see how they do.

Yesterday the Texas low hit us in Ontario with 30 cm snow. Instead of cardio we spent 2 hours shoveling snow.
Today I did 45 minutes on our Bowflex Treadclimber. So far no more issues on my thigh tendons since I ditched the Baur slides

Attachments

• AC7B4F74-CC52-4FEE-83A9-5B410FA0697F.jpeg
    AC7B4F74-CC52-4FEE-83A9-5B410FA0697F.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 63
  • CA121763-2DC1-413B-ACC2-224AE1321C37.jpeg
    CA121763-2DC1-413B-ACC2-224AE1321C37.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 54
I bought some Skechers loafers so I could put them on without assistance and I’m finding them very comfortable. I do have quite wide feet though.

A week of squats added to strength days and added 5lb weight to straight leg lifts, is showing improvement. Less stiffness & annoying twinge overall.

Re-sketchers; I too got them for my EE wide feet. However I found the foam soaks too spongy & didn’t provide adequate support. The Merrell hiking shoes also come in a W ( wide fit) but have a urethane sole. I have inserts in them also as I have a high Arche.

I'm a huge fan of the OOFOS slides. I live in mine in the house. I liked then so much I purchased their slip on sneakers and a pair of clogs. They are ok but I like the slides the best.
I have arthritis on top of both feet and once I put the slides on I'm fairly pain free.
I had my son and family over Saturday evening for his birthday and his MIL tried on the slides and fell in love with them!

Today is the 3rd anniversary of my Total Hip Replacement (left) surgery. I am pleased to report I am overall pleased with the outcome. Other than a little stiffness in the glute hamstrings in the morning I have no real lasting after effects. I can still walk 3-5km & scuba dive regularly. Overall successful!

Attachments

• IMG_6420.jpeg
    IMG_6420.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 51
This here is what it’s all about! Getting our mobility and activities back.
Congrats on your recovery. Any exciting dive trips coming up?

Nice! Our dive group traveled to Canada a few times to dive the St. Lawrence river. The shipwrecks are remarkably well preserved. But oh my goodness, so cold!
My first dives after my Left THR in 2015 were thrilling because of the ease of using the ladder to get back into the boat. That was my main concern.

OT, but when after your Left THR did you feel safe diving?

OT, but when after your Left THR did you feel safe diving?
At about 6 months late November- I started in the pool.
Hardest part is climbing exit ladder with 100 lbs (45 kg) of gear on.
Following spring (2021) I was good to go. This was during Covid, so we only did open air shore dives, so we could maintain safe distances until we were submerged.

Nice! Our dive group traveled to Canada a few times to dive the St. Lawrence river. The shipwrecks are remarkably well preserved. But oh my goodness, so cold!
My first dives after my Left THR in 2015 were thrilling because of the ease of using the ladder to get back into the boat. That was my main concern.
The warmest dives in the St Lawrence are in the 1000 Islands (1000 Islands Bridge to Prescott, On) at this point the thermocline is gone, mixed surface to bottom at about 70-75°F in July & August. I have dived the area in a 3 mm full suit. Lake Ontario (Kingston & further west) on the other hand is 70's on surface & about 45° at about 60 - 70 ft depth.
Definitely 7 mm full wetsuit or drysuit.

Attachments

• MikeD.jpg
    MikeD.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 49
Definitely 7 mm full wetsuit or drysuit.
Yes, when we went the temps at 70 feet were in the mid 40's and I hated it. I was in a drysuit but it didn't help the temps from causing what I call a brain freeze and my face felt like it was freezing.. Whatever wreck we had descended to- I looked at it from the anchor line, decided that was enough, turned and started my ascent immediately. That was probably my last dive there.. haha
But goodness... diving is one of those things where we want our bodies in good enough condition to help with whatever may arise and our joint replacements definitely kept us underwater where the only other option was to hang up our regulators.

I wish you many many more dives with your new joints.

Next time you’re in the area, drop me a pm Crickethip. Maybe we can get out for a dive together.

That would be fun! That's probably a BoneSmart meetup that hasn't happened before..
I finally remembered where we stayed-it was in Kingston. The dive shop we used was out of there too.

Went for another late season dive out of Kingston harbour last night. It was a little rough on the surface, but great on the wreck. Water is relatively warm now. 70F on surface and 55F at 50ft depth. In contrast to the rough ride out to the wreck, the water was like glass on the ride back to the dock.

Attachments

• IMG_7308.jpeg
    IMG_7308.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7306.jpeg
    IMG_7306.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7307.jpeg
    IMG_7307.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 36

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online