TKR Iovera, yes or no?

dawnG

Country
United States United States
Can someone help me navigate? I’m trying to find others that had a knee replacement close to mine, January 17. I am looking at the forums and see some threads by some people. Trying to see if I am where I should be or not. The experts wrote activities that I should not have started yet. I know we are all different. But I think my PT is pushing me. Everytime I go, I am in agony for days. I only go once a week and feel good and doing well. She manipulates my patella. I’m still using narcotics and that scares me. do I just tap forums and scroll down the threads on the left?

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart and recovery. Here is a link to others who had surgery in January -
Welcome to the January Jackpots 2023 Knee Recovery Club
Please tell us which knee you had replaced and we will create a signature for you.
But I think my PT is pushing me. Every time I go, I am in agony for days.
Please do not allow them to push you. It is unnecessary. You shouldn't be in agony for days, trying to recover from your PT session. Refrain from engaging in movement that causes discomfort or pain. Do not allow anyone to forcefully manipulate your leg. While your range of motion is currently limited, it will naturally increase as the swelling subsides and the pain eases. Give it time.

I will leave our Recovery Guidelines and also some tips on how to navigate the forum. If you have questions, let us know and we'll be happy to help. Wishing you comfort and all the best as you continue healing.
Thanks for joining us!

How To Use This Forum

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
@dawnG

Last edited:
Hi Dawn @dawnG
I had my left TKR done on Jan 17. As you have already noticed no one will give you a “expect this” answer to your questions because everyone is different. I have been to PT three times a week since the week after surgery. Following every session I have to take at least an hour nap with my favorite appliance, my ice machine. Every night after PT I have a horrible time sleeping. After two days I start feeling better and the cycle starts. My doctor prescribed Dalaudid for pain but at the start I did not feel it managed my pain so more time on my ice machine. I am 5 week post op. My ROM is very good. My Dr is discontinuing PT so am am now walking around my neighborhood. @beachy had her procedure a week ahead of us and this is her second time around. Her words to me have worked well for my state of mind. Take care. Do what you can and let everything roll off your back. It’s a marathon not a sprint.
Cheers,
Tino

Trying to see if I am where I should be or not.
Please don't compare yourself to anyone else. Every knee is different -- including two knees in the same person! There is no set timeline for this recovery.

You may also find it helpful to read the threads of some members who are further along in their recoveries. Many of us struggle early on, but end up being very happy with our new knees.

Hi Dawn, its good to read other's recoveries as long as you understand that your recovery may be entirely different. Because every knee that is replaced is in different stages of ....damage. Not sure if that's the best word. My recent right tkr was extremely damaged. Bone spurs, bone on bone, something in back of knee. I zoned out reading the report LOL.
This new knee recovery is different than my first.

One thing most of us can agree on is that aggressive, pushy PT is bad for recovery. You have the right to find another PT if you're not happy. And you may want to stop for awhile. You just can't bend a swollen joint.

You'll find recoveries that had every complication possible. And you'll find many recoveries that are normal. Its a long journey, but it gets better.
IMHO, aggressive pt is holding you back.
:flwrysmile:

I was doing great at week 4. Started PT outpatient and am in agony every time I go. I’ve cancelled because it takes days to recover. Called the doc who said, no heat, which pt said to start, only do the exercises he gave me. I changed therapist and this one is more experienced, I had her for my hips. She goes slower and never pushes. But still the same thing. Today we tried these compression bags today, foot to thigh and my knee was swelling in the way home. Been icing and elevating all day. Almost out of meds and no call from the doc if they are going to refill the med. it’s dilaudid. I told PT about the swelling, thinking most of my issues are related to swelling, the boss texted the doc and said to call as they will order another med to help. No call yet, but can’t even walk on it without the knee and now the other one screaming at me. So depressing.

I'm sorry, Dawn, but I am confused by your post. Are you currently in PT, or not? You mentioned you are in agony every time you go as though you are presently attending, but then mentioned you canceled. Since you also mentioned your surgeon advised you only do the exercises he gave you, I am wondering why you aren't taking a step back. Pain is your body asking for change, so please consider allowing your knee time to heal with rest, ice and elevation. I believe you'll begin to feel better and thrive if you do.

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Wishing you a peaceful evening and speedy relief.
@dawnG

I am in PT, twice a week. I would have to cancel the appointment that came 2 days after seeing the therapist because I hadn’t recovered.
I took a step back and don’t push as hard. But I’m conflicted as they said don’t do an exercise so hard that your pain is over a 5. But then they push me farther. I was walking outside for 20 minutes every few hours during the day and was fine. They said that was too much. But it made my knee feel looser and I was making progress. Now I am not.

Hi Dawn, its good to read other's recoveries as long as you understand that your recovery may be entirely different. Because every knee that is replaced is in different stages of ....damage. Not sure if that's the best word. My recent right tkr was extremely damaged. Bone spurs, bone on bone, something in back of knee. I zoned out reading the report LOL.
This new knee recovery is different than my first.

One thing most of us can agree on is that aggressive, pushy PT is bad for recovery. You have the right to find another PT if you're not happy. And you may want to stop for awhile. You just can't bend a swollen joint.

You'll find recoveries that had every complication possible. And you'll find many recoveries that are normal. Its a long journey, but it gets better.
IMHO, aggressive pt is holding you back.
:flwrysmile:
Thank you for your reply. I did ask for another therapist, who goes much slower and won’t push me. Yet still I have too much pain the whole rest of the day. 3 days later I recover and can do the exercises at home and make progress. But the PT day comes and the knee swells again and the severe pain comes back.

Trying to see if I am where I should be or not.
Please don't compare yourself to anyone else. Every knee is different -- including two knees in the same person! There is no set timeline for this recovery.

You may also find it helpful to read the threads of some members who are further along in their recoveries. Many of us struggle early on, but end up being very happy with our new knees.
Thank you. It is very helpful to read other people’s recovery. Sometimes I cry, but then when I get better, say I can do this. I make small advances in my own. Like yesterday I was able to put that foot on the side of the shower to dry it, it came automatically! And I was like WOW! Look what I just did. But going to PT and I can’t hardly walk for 2 days.

I'm sorry, Dawn, but I am confused by your post. Are you currently in PT, or not? You mentioned you are in agony every time you go as though you are presently attending, but then mentioned you canceled. Since you also mentioned your surgeon advised you only do the exercises he gave you, I am wondering why you aren't taking a step back. Pain is your body asking for change, so please consider allowing your knee time to heal with rest, ice and elevation. I believe you'll begin to feel better and thrive if you do.

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Wishing you a peaceful evening and speedy relief.
@dawnG
Thank you so much. Still navigating the site. I do read the newbie info, so much of it. The PT people are doing things that are not advised. One reason I changed therapists.
The last visit the PT told me the swelling may be the issue. I agree. She put on these huge compression boots that went from foot to thigh. For 10 minutes at the end of my session. On my way home I could feel the pain coming and the swelling through my jeans. Yes, I can now wear jeans. But I could not walk without far more pain than usual that whole night. More meds, ice and elevate.

I suggest you stop the PT and go back to what didn't hurt. You said you were doing well and making progress with your 20 minute walks outdoors. Now you're not progressing, you're under pressure to push further and dealing with pain and swelling. I know what I'd choose, but its your choice. Your walks along with the activities of daily living will get you to where you want to be, likely without pain and setbacks. Give it all some serious thought.
I wish you the best.
@dawnG

I suggest you stop the PT and go back to what didn't hurt. You said you were doing well and making progress with your 20 minute walks outdoors. Now you're not progressing, you're under pressure to push further and dealing with pain and swelling. I know what I'd choose, but its your choice. Your walks along with the activities of daily living will get you to where you want to be, likely without pain and setbacks. Give it all some serious thought.
I wish you the best.
@dawnG
Thank you so much. You are correct, that’s is what I am finding works for me, going at my own pace was working. I was doing the therapy exercises and making progress. I am so glad you are here.

We're happy to have you, thanks for joining us!
It's very early into the healing process for you. Your body endured the controlled trauma of major surgery. It's trying its hardest to heal, so allow yourself the TLC you deserve. Slow, easy, gentle is the way to go. You were on the right track on your own, don't let anyone deter you. Do what "feels" right.

If you keep reading here, you will find many that did not engage in PT, or started and quit. You will find success stories also, but we're uniquely different and have to do what works best for us individually.

Yet still I have too much pain the whole rest of the day. 3 days later I recover and can do the exercises at home and make progress. But the PT day comes and the knee swells again and the severe pain comes back.
You do well, then go to PT and suffer for 3 days, that means this is bad PT, that is causing you setbacks in your recovery. Having to recover for 3 days from PT means you are not recovering from your surgery for those 3 days. That is setting your recovery back. You were doing well with just walking. Isn't that what your knee was created to do? Why do all these other things that aren't natural, especially after a very traumatic surgery? I think you need to stop your PT and recover your knee naturally. That's what many of us have done and end up with a very good, less painful recovery!

Hi Dawn! My ROM regressed when I followed my PT's instructions for at home PT. I saw her once a week in an office and she never pushed me to any pain while I was there (it was always after haha!). I followed all instructions for at home PT and was is constant pain and anxiety. My ROM regressed, I stayed inflamed and in pain and I didn't improve until I stopped doing all PT at home and only did what the PT did with me on sight once a week. It was light things like sitting step machine, balance exercises, weight bearing, band work, going up and down steps. I agree with the others who've suggested easing up on the PT. I hope this helps.

Can someone help me navigate? I’m trying to find others that had a knee replacement close to mine, January 17. I am looking at the forums and see some threads by some people. Trying to see if I am where I should be or not. The experts wrote activities that I should not have started yet. I know we are all different. But I think my PT is pushing me. Everytime I go, I am in agony for days. I only go once a week and feel good and doing well. She manipulates my patella. I’m still using narcotics and that scares me. do I just tap forums and scroll down the threads on the left?
Hi Dawn,
My surgery was January 24 and now the 6 week check up is done Dr said I was in a good place, ROM 115 . Im doing pt twice per week and still take gabapentin at night for nerve pain due to robot attachment. My therapist has never put me in pain, sometimes after therapy I'll have weird misc. Pains in knee and leg. I usually ice for an hour and pain goes away.
Hope this helps.
Woodcutter

After weeks of agony after my PT sessions… the latest, unable to barely walk, icing and elevating for hours, near tears due to so much pain after Pt… called the doc as the therapist requested and was ordered cele Rex, which I had taken post op also. Within 24 hours, I felt huge relief of pain and my knee was looser, easier to move and I felt almost joyful.. now I am able to get back to real recovery.. it was the inflammation creating far too much pain and stiffness. my calf muscle felt like a rock below the knee, now it’s softer…. So much happier now…

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom