Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning Dynamic Hip Screw Right side hip.

Divipops

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all I am new to this thread hope you are all well. I had a nasty fall in September and broke my hip. They operated and put a screw and plate in, all went well with operation thank God and was home a week later and they arranged physio at home to help me with being able to manage around my home. I am able to walk around the house without any aids but when I go out I have got to use a stick as my knee keeps buckling under me and I am so scared of falling again. I am usually very active playing badminton, swimming , working part time as a welfare assistant in a primary school also look after my grandson whilst my daughter is in work. I as at clinic last week for x-ray and they said everything looked fine and they are referring me for physio as they said the muscles may need strengthening. They sent me for a bone scan and results were I have osteoporosis which they are giving me treatment for. I can't wait to be able to walk properly again without any aids, or limp, I seriously think my right leg is slightly longer than my left which I did mention to the Dr and he dismissed it. I am coming up to 8 months pre up and beginning to wonder if I will ever get back to normal.

Hello @Divipops - and :welome:

I'm sorry you had a fall and broke your hip. That must have been frightening. How did it happen?

Please will you tell us the full date of your accident and surgery , so we can make a signature for you? Knowing the exact date will help us to advise you appropriately Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Have you been able to get back to looking after your grandson, or helping out at the primary school?

Unfortunately, recovery from orthopaedic events does take a long time. As long as you're still making progress, even if it's seems very slow, you're doing well.

Hi thank you for replying. I had my operation on 22nd September feel as if was so long ago. It happened as I was on my way to pick my grandson up from school and as there were a 4 or 5 senior school children walking towards me looking at their phones oblivious where they were walking, I stepped aside to let them pass and tripped over the kerb and crash bang wollop. I jumped up quick and that was it I couldn't move, was hanging on the a garden fence for 2 1/2 hours waiting for an ambulance. At first I thought I had hurt my knee but apparently I had fell heavily on my knee and that had shunted the bone up and snapped at the knuckle, so all the ligaments were inflamed. I have still not been able to return to work yet as I am not able to be reliant on a stick as I work looking after small children. I still look after my grandson but my husband does the school run mainly, I really miss all the fun times. I thought I would have been well up and running by now, I will just have to be patient.

The patience really is the hardest thing. Along with the uncertainty of when all this is going to end.

8 months must seem like an age at the moment, especially as you are normally so active. I was out everyday playing tennis, working, seeing friends and family and now I’m forced to be in everyday. Been off work for 8 months now and away from my home for 6, as I’m recovering at my Mum’s.

Has your surgeon given you an indication as to when you may be able to play badminton again? My surgeon said I could play tennis 3 months after the op, but I’m halfway there now and can’t even put my foot to the floor.

I know how hard it is and I really hope things get better for you soon. I’m sure your grandson appreciates your lack of mobility at the moment and he will just be happy being able to spend time with you.

Best Wishes

Stephen :)

Hi hope you are all well. Had anybody that has had a DHS had weakness in their knee a long time after surgery. It is now 16 months since my surgery at first I was doing well with my mobility, I was not able to attend physio for 11 months due to no sessions on because of covid. This had meant that my quad muscle has wasted quite a lot, my knee is also weak and buckles with no warning at all meaning that while I am out walking I am still reliant on a stick. I have had to resign from work as I am not able to work with the children because of being unstable on my feet, which is quite sad really. The PT just keeps saying sometimes it takes a long time to build muscle up and my mobility should get back to normal, at the moment I can see this being a long time off.

@Divipops wish I had something great to share with you but unfortunately I don't. Have you discussed these issues with your surgeon or a member of his team? The PT may be correct but I'm not versed enough in pinnings to say.

Have you had your knee checked out, X-Ray or MRI? I know you said you had landed pretty hard on your knee during the original injury. Hoping you get some answers.

Hi Elf1 I had a scan in October and the consultant said the hip joint has healed fine, the problem now is the ligaments and the muscles need building up and it is a long job. I have not had knee x rayed since fall as he said everything feels fine it is just muscle wastage as you can imagine after being so active before fall to now having to rely on a stick is now becoming quite frustrating. I often wonder if that is it now, just curious to see if anybody else had experienced this .

@Divipops the ligaments, muscles and soft tissue needs to heal, then worry about building up strength. Slow and steady, unfortunately patience seems to be the toughest muscle we have to use in recovery. :snork:

If it were me and my knee didn't start feeling better fairly soon I would probably push for an X-Ray at minimum. I get you're not as active as before but you are moving/walking, even if it's with a stick, so your knee is getting some benefit from that. It's definitely something I would be keeping a close watch on. Hope you had a peaceful evening.

Thank you Elf1 I am back at physio next week so will mention to about getting an x ray done

Hi hope all recovering well. I am still struggling weight bearing after 2 years having had a dynamic hip screw and rod inserted, , sent for x-ray today to make sure screw is still in position because of the bone density. At first I said to myself have patience recovery takes time but now I am getting rather frustrated didn't think it would turn out the way it has .

@Divipops
Sorry you continue to have challenges with your hip pinning. You will notice I have copied your post in Stephen1989's thread to your recovery thread, he has not been here since May. A copy remains in Stephen1989's thread.
More likely you will receive more responses to your continuing challenges in your own thread.

Keep us posted about what your surgeon says about your x ray.
Chris

Hi @Divipops just wanted to send a virtual hug and let you know I understand your frustration. I am a primary school teacher and am unable to work 2 years after a similar accident to yourself. I so miss my job . I had hip pinning (DHS) then a full hip replacement and more recently a muscle reattachment. The last operation has been by far the worst and apparently this is due to the muscles and ligaments. You try to be positive and “give it more time” but it wears very thin at times and we just want a date as when we will get back to some normality! Keep going you’re doing great. Hopefully your surgeon says everything is ok with the screws and plate and you can get the go ahead to do some serious physio. I also found swimming good in between operations. Keep us updated and good luck

Thanks Chris and I'vegotthis for your replies. Did you have problems with your pinning that meant you had to have a hip replacement? The thought of going through all that again oh no. I have been attending aqua fit classes that I am really enjoying, it is amazing how I am able to walk and jump in the water no problem then I swim a few lengths of the pool. I will have to get a water bubble ha ha. I go for my results on Monday, I will let you know how it goes, take care.

Hi hope everyone ok, just had results from x-ray, hip screw still in place that's a blessing, arthritis detected in the joint, can administer cortisone injection or strong painkillers. Never mind at least I am mobile, take care all, the only way is up.

I am sorry you're still struggling and things haven't progressed as you wished. Thankfully you find some relief while in the pool. I hope whatever decision you make brings you relief and the ability to bear weight in comfort. Stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.
@Divipops

You sound as if you are having an amazing recovery. Only wish I could get back on my horse ha ha, after two and a half years still struggling. I didn't have hip replacement had a screw and rod inserted after a nasty fall, I have now been told the problem with my mobility is nerve damage as my knee just buckles under me with no warning and still have pain and weakness in my thigh muscle. When I have spoken to PT about hearing about other people's recovery after having THR and they are doing so well all that he says is because mine was a trauma injury totally different to having a planned replacement. Before this fall I was very active swimming, cycling, ballroom dancing, fell walking, badminton most of these now are just a memory don't think I will ever get back to them. But on the plus side at least I am mobile and able to get out. Chin up x
Hi there again @Divipops - it’s so lovely to hear people doing so well isn’t it and I am so pleased for them as I know you will be too. However, I like yourself have suffered from an initial trauma which I agree makes recovery very different. I am waiting another mri and nerve conduction test as they think I have nerve damage like yourself. Have you tried shock wave therapy? I am on my third session and feeling some improvement- just an idea x

Hi I'vegotthis lovely to hear from you, and seeing some improvement. I feel as if doctors are fobbing me off and saying well that is the way things are so get on with it. It is lovely to hear about others recovering well and gives me hope that someday I hopefully will get to that point, maybe not 100% but hopefully better than I am now. I will mention the wave therapy to my gp and see what he says, thank you take care x

Hi! Well I think you're doing pretty good considering the trauma your poor bone experienced!

Darlin', I don't move out of the way for no inattentive, head stuck in the clouds, nose stuck in their phone SIDEWALK-HOGGERS who actually expect the rest of the world to get out of their way! And school children, no less!

We have earned our right to walk down the sidewalk. See what happened? You lost your situational awareness for a moment while you moved out of the way to accommodate mere children who obviously could have used a lesson in respecting their elders. Then hung on the fence for over 2 hours?!?! I can't even think how much pain you must have been in!

Now that you know about your osteoporosis you might want to scan the ground around you when you walk....I sure do! And until this hip stopped me from roaming thru my desert I was out there as often as possible and always watched where I put my feet. Of course in the desert you're supposed to do that anyway, it helps from getting bit by a rattlesnake. In the city you try to stay one jump ahead of inattentive drivers, lol.

You sound like you're doing great in your recovery... .best of luck!

Hi danelady lovely to hear from you, I am feel as if I am going to end up with a hump on my back now watching the floor when I am walking outside :heehee: for the fear of falling again. I will not be moving out of the way of nobody in future, lesson learnt. How on earth I hung on to that fence for that length of time I will never know, the pain was excruciating, but when ambulance eventually came the gas and air and morphine was amazing. I now know how a flamingo feels :)standing on one leg ha ha. Take care nice to chat x

@Divipops Glad they took that pain away ASAP. I am sitting pretty right now myself. I got another morphine a little while ago....they said they were gonna manhandle me a bit so the morphine might help. It only helps if I don't breathe too hard or try to change position...but I'll take it, lol.

That's a good lesson to learn. I don't believe in being pushy and I don't like bullies, but as I've gotten older, I've discovered that society (young'uns mostly) worships and respects youth and beauty. They look at us gray-haired old ladies as roadblocks, taking up space they should have.

I was in Rapid City, South Dakota once. I was in the big rig with my window down enjoying the beautiful weather and waiting for the traffic to move. The lane started moving and a pickup full of teenagers drove past me and one of them chucked their big drink at my window....and it was RED! It only hit the door jamb but a few drops came in. I saw where they went and this old lady chased them in her 18wheeler. We were between some buildings and a field and when I got up alongside them I chucked my coffee out my window at them. Their eyes were like saucers....never expecting to be chased!
I loved it, lol. That's also why I retired early....no respect out on the road.
Very nice chatting with you as well.
They gave me a big cocktail of painkillers along with dinner.
:egypdance:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks