THR THR - One year on

:wave:@Gloucestergal65
Did the RSPB Garden Watch
That sounds lovely...
I love birds
:roseshwr:
I started trying to identify and learn about them some years ago...never thought I might one day be the little old lady with the safari hat and binoculars trying to check off the elusive painting bunting, but I actually might be one day and it doesn't sound bad:heehee:
Getting out and getting some nature is good for the spirit, as this recovery business can wear on one's patience,:bored:

Good for you for having a "step back" day after your Sunday outing.
This is how I managed my recovery as I found the lines between enough and too much,
You are doing great, and spring and Summer will be Sweet:flwrysmile:

You got this and you know the days you need to dial it back after a busy day!
I go to rescue kennel just about every AM, walk dogs, clean, laundry, redo their beds, feed etc. Get lots of steps in, bending etc.
Generally stop and get a few groceries on way back, more steps, arrive home and prep whatever I might need to start dinner later. By 3PM I lay down for an hour and watch a show, then I'm fine to get dinner and enjoy the evening.
It's all about balance and listening to your body.

Walked into town yesterday afternoon and paid my first post op visit to the cinema. Had a coffee in the bar first. Watched Empire of Lights. Olivia Coleman is excellent in it and I didn’t have any issues with seating or discomfort.
Didn’t sleep very well but I’m hat was due to the commotion of the cat bringing in a mouse rather than anything else.
I haven’t managed side sleeping yet, the incision area which was numb is coming back to life and feels a bit tender but I seem to have got used to sleeping in my back now. Apart from sometimes getting a pain in my heels which I noticed again last night when I was woken by the cat. ‍⬛ It doesn’t last and resting my feet over the edge of a pillow seems to work.
Otherwise nothing new to report other than a runny nose and a cough which I’ve now had for three weeks and is annoying but not that bad. Sore ribs at times from coughing but it doesn’t keep me awake at night.
Looking forward to more outings and plucking up the courage to drive.

Sounds like a nice day out.
I remember being quite nervous about driving again, no clue why.
But one day I took the car around the block just to get the feel of the pedals and brakes with new hip (right side). I just wanted to be sure I could lift my leg of to stop and go and all went fine.
I then broadened my horizons and before you knew it I was out and about again.

Day 1 - operation day. Arrived at 7:30 having followed all the pre-op instructions regarding antibiotic showering (5days), carbohydrate drinks (2 the day before, one on the day at 6am), fasting. A phone call from the hospital the evening before freaked me out because I thought they were going to cancel because of the weather (snow, ice, minus temperatures) but they were just checking I could still get there. Three bowel movements the evening before and another four that morning while waiting to go into surgery. I won’t need to worry about constipation for a few days.

Once in hospital I was dressed in a hospital gown, special knickers and little red socks with non-slip rubber strips and various doctors and nurses appeared to do obs, take blood, measure me for a zimmer frame, fit a cannula to the back of my hand, give me useful equipment like a shoe horn and a grabber, sign consent forms, draw an arrow pointing to my right hip and discuss anaesthesia.

Walked down to theatre behind the bed at about 11am, very chilly.

Sat on a bed with feet up in a kick stool while the anaesthetist felt about for the right place to insert the spinal block. Paracetamol into the cannula followed by an icy spray in my back that made me jump, then local anaesthetic injected around the site of the spinal block which felt like little tiny electric shocks, then the spinal which I didn’t feel other than a bit of pressure and my legs started to tingle and feel warm and I was helped to lie in my side I heard them say they were putting a sterile patch around where the cut would be and they must have sedated me at that point.

Came round in Recovery just after 1pm and couldn’t stop talking, no idea what about.

By 2pm I was sitting up in bed with a cup of coffee and some biscuits and inflatable cuffs on my legs.
A bit of a blur but late in the afternoon when the feeling had come back to my lower half I needed a wee and was helped out of bed and onto the commode. I had wet the bed as I was told I probably would but the special pad had soaked it up. I suddenly came over all faint and needed oxygen, an open window, fanning, a wet towel on my forehead and three nurses to get me back into bed. Low blood pressure. Fluids, antibiotics and oxycodone given via the cannula, paracetamol and ibuprofen orally.

My partner came in that evening to say hello and I spoke in the phone to my three children. Sent messages to friends. So far a bit of discomfort of the type where you’d adjust position but no pain.

A bit of a lack of appetite but trying to eat and drink something. Didn’t sleep very well, the regular obs, meds, inflating cuffs all contributing factors.

Day 2 - blood pressure still low and another fainting episode on the commode but a successful one later wearing oxygen. Physio came mid morning to do some bed exercises, standing exercises and a short walk leading to feeling faint again. Feeling hungry but when food arrives I pick at it. I made it to the toilet today with oxygen, still felt a bit faint and my hip hurt afterwards.

Was helped to do the blood thinner injection myself. Asked about tablets being a bit in the needle phobic side but my consultant prefers the injections which I will be doing for a month! A bit of reading, lots of napping, a wet wipe bath and my own pjs.

Day 3 - still feeling faint and sick every time I try to get up and threw up my breakfast. Anti nausea medication given and that helped a bit. Physio exercises. Managed the loo mid morning without fainting or sickness. Taken to X-ray to check position of implant. Short walk down the corridor and some more exercises. Lots of gurgling in my stomach suggests things are getting back to normal. Pain being managed very well.

Day 4 - cannula removed, managing bathroom and getting in and out of bed in my own. Walked the corridor in sticks instead of frame and did the stairs. All ready for going home. Nurses striking today. They totally have my support although in fact I haven’t been affected yet. Beginning to eat a bit more at mealtimes. Pharmacist brought a big bag of meds to take home with what felt like minimal instructions.

Getting in and out of the car is a knack but easier than I thought with the cushion in a plastic bag trick. Went straight upstairs for a lie down! Minus 10 degrees tonight so I wrapped up warm. Took codeine as well as ibuprofen and paracetamol but it gives me horrible dreams.The raised toilet seat is a godsend.

TOP TIP for at home. We have sofas everywhere rather than armchairs and I was contemplating buying an armchair. However, we have some rather old plastic garden chairs that we cleaned up, covered in throws with a couple of cushions, placed in different rooms and they have been brilliant.

Day 5 - at home. Not sleeping more than a couple of hours at a time. Still need the bathroom every couple of hours. Leg feels very heavy and a bit swollen and bruised but paracetamol and ibuprofen are enough to keep the pain under control. Doing my exercises three times a day and walking up and down the corridor in the house. A beautiful sunny day but icy. My appetite is returning, perhaps it’s the home cooking helping. Lots of naps. Finally had a bowel movement, the stool softeners helped. Then had three more during the evening! Dropped the codeine.

Days 6 - 9 stitches pulling a bit and a bit itchy, otherwise all good and similar to day 5 except now doing 20 of each exercise. Dry shampoo a godsend and strip washes. Haven’t ventured into the shower yet. Tailbone a bit sore from sitting in bed. Some visitors - niece, daughter, granddaughter - to break up the day.

Day 10 - the solstice - a bit of tidying up, exercises going well except for one which I need help with. Continuing with a jigsaw puzzle, reading, sleeping, walking. Made some lunch but needed help to carry it to the table. I have a shoulder bag I use for carrying stuff up and down stairs. Friends dropped in for tea and cake mid afternoon which was lovely but I needed a rest afterwards.

Day 11 - more friends visited. Managed all the exercises by myself today. Physio appointment and wound check. Getting in and out of the car and walking all went smoothly. All going well. Still only sleeping in short bursts, still needing the bathroom every couple of hours.

Day 12 - first proper walk outside to deliver Xmas cards and stopped to chat to a neighbour. My phone registered 350 steps. More of an urge to turn over in bed at night but I am sticking to the cushion between my legs, lying in my back rule. For some reason, snuggling my head into a pillow on the right side helps. My son arrived home from London for Xmas and my niece, daughter and granddaughter came over for an early dinner. I was tired when they all left about 7:30.

Day 13 - 498 steps. Ditched the ibuprofen today without any ill effects. Made vegetarian gravy for tomorrow. Lots of chopping and stirring. Needed help to carry stuff from one place to another.

Day 14 - end of week 2 - Xmas Day. 6 adults and one child. 791 steps registered. A lovely breakfast (croissants and buck’s fizz), a walk (not for me), a lovely vegetarian Xmas dinner), presents, board games, less work than usual for me. I even had a glass of wine. A very excited granddaughter. Spoke to my son in Vietnam who was in the process of booking flights home for a holiday here in May. Was very tired after a busy day and a bit sore so I added the ibuprofen back in.
Thankyou for sharing, that must have been tough dealing with the low blood pressure. I liked your idea about garden furniture, that one occurred to me aswell, but haven't needed to bring any of the chairs in.

I have a question. My consultant wrote a brief letter to my GP and sent me a copy. I understand most of it but there is one sentence I don’t fully understand. ‘Trendelenburg test equivocal’. I think I vaguely know what it means but an explanation would be good. And what if anything should I be doing to help.

Possibly that he's questioning it, or uncertain? I think you need a firm diagnosis or explanation before you begin doing anything differently.

Did he raise Tredelenburg Gait with you? It sounds like your OS, or the Consultant is uncertain at this point. Are you able to have a phone conversation with him to gain clarity?

You can do an online search and see videos of people walking with a Trendelenburg gait IF you're unfamiliar it may give you a better idea as to whether it pertains in your regard. BoneSmart's Nurse Emeritus, Josephine (50+ yrs experience in orthopedics) referred to Trendenlenburg as a form of a limp that may be caused by Leg length differential - LLD. Something to ponder...

I don't think you should concern yourself needlessly though since it seems you've not yet received this diagnosis.

I hope you have a nice day, Gloucestergal.
@Gloucestergal65

I think the leg length is fine. I can’t really stand on the operated leg unaided because I lack the muscular strength, having had this limp a long time. It doesn’t hurt, it just won’t do it. I guess the query is whether I can overcome it by building muscular strength or not and I guess only time will tell. Are there specific exercises I should be concentrating on? I will ask the physio when I see her next but that isn’t for a couple of weeks.

If there is an LLD, it seems in many cases to resolve with time and strengthening of the muscles. I have watched my own LLD decrease, and I'm hoping that after six months, both of my legs will reach the ground together! :loll:

I finally made it into the shower. Yay.
I hasten to add that I have been keeping clean by having a regular old-fashioned ‘strip-wash’, feet in a spa, hair over the kitchen sink.
My reluctance at the beginning was balance, a lack of grab rails and fear of falling over.
My more recent reluctance has been to do with cold weather and hanging around wet in a cold, draughty Victorian house taking much longer than normal to do everything.
Anyway, I bit the bullet this morning and it was lovely.
Slowly picking up the pieces of ‘normal life’.

Well done @Gloucestergal65 ! I don't blame you for waiting to shower. Balance issues post op are very common. And the thought of hanging around wet and cold is not at all appealing. Just take things slow and steady.

Finally had Winter Solstice/Xmas meal with some friends. Postponed by Covid, my operation, my friend’s operation etc.
A lovely evening that finished rather earlier than they used to!
I walked home in the dark, a rather unsettling experience. It isn’t far but there were shadowy areas where I couldn’t see the ground and hadn’t realised how much I am concentrating on where to put my feet.
A shadow coming up behind me freaked me out until I realised it was just my second shadow from another street lamp.
Trying hard to ‘walk well’ rather than ‘walk further’. Managing at home without sticks or just one stick, still two sticks when out although one isn’t used much. Muscles are a bit gripy from time to time I guess because some of them are being used after a period of inactivity.
Tomorrow is the end of week 8 and the progress has definitely slowed down a bit. A cold over the last three weeks probably hasn’t helped either.

Oh, be careful on dark streets! :thud: But I'm so glad you had fun!

I opted to drink alcohol free wine in order to be super careful but I was glad that most of the route was quite well lit. Not something I’ve ever noticed before.

Yikes, your walk home sounded scary. Glad you made it safely and didn't fall in the dark. Great news you're doing well enough to have a meal away from home with friends.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
@Gloucestergal65

Such a lovely bright day today that I went for quite a long walk (5300 steps, just over 2 miles). I walked to Gloucester Docks and back, it was lovely seeing all the Victorian warehouses in the sunshine and it’s the closest body of water to me (I grew up by the sea and I miss it). Lots of boats too. What I hadn’t anticipated was the amount of people (I’d forgotten there was a market this weekend) so I beat a hasty retreat into the centre where the cathedral bells were ringing and some poor soul was trying to compete with them with his trumpet. Feeling quite tired now but now sore so I hope I’m Ok tomorrow.

Last edited:
Oh my...some of the descriptions of scenery members from the UK describe sound so lovely and romantic, lol. The docks, boats, the sea, Victorian warehouses, cathedral bells. I'm envisioning a Thomas Kinkade :wink: painting.
Feeling quite tired now but now sore so I hope I’m Ok tomorrow
I'm sure with some rest, ice, elevation and sleep you'll feel refreshed tomorrow. Have a great week, Gloucestergal!

First day of week 9. A really bad night’s sleep after doing so well. A coffee in a cafe in town in the afternoon was probably the reason, nice though it was at the time. Firstly, I don’t usually drink coffee so late in the day and secondly, a recent report said that Costa has 4.5 x the amount of caffeine that a Starbucks has and although the coffee was neither of those, things just wonder if had a massive amount more caffeine than a home-made one would.
Pondering muscle soreness/discomfort - I suppose it is only natural to get some complaints in that department when muscles are starting to be used that have maybe been inactive for a while. As long as it doesn’t tip over into becoming painful.
Another bright sunny day, opted for a walk in the countryside a short drive away instead of the cinema this afternoon. Some rough ground to navigate but all flat and went fine. Boats, water, birds, a canal crossroads (Saul Junction), a cup of tea and a rest instead of a coffee mid afternoon. Won’t make that mistake again.
Now three days of childcare for our granddaughter. Mostly TBH by my OH although I will enjoy spending the days with her.

Last edited:
Costa has 4.5 x the amount of caffeine that a Starbucks
Wow! I love Costa cappacinos, but once I realised the amount of calories in one, I fell over with the shock and now only get one on a special occasion. Great that you are able to get out a bit, it does make a difference.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts