TKR The Good Knee...

Suzanna

Country
United States United States
I am in week 10 of TKR surgery recovery. I started to notice that I am experiencing knee pain in my "good knee." I am concerned that I am going to damage my "good knee" in PT. I go to PT 3x a week.

Hi @Suzanna. It's not unusual for aches to crop up in other body parts as we get adjusted to life with our new knee. I had to get the "good" knee (which was also very arthritic) shot up a few times during the LTKR recovery. With that said, if PT hurts roll it back a bit - you may simply be doing too much or pushing too hard for either knee at this point in your recovery. I also found that new shoes helped. It was strange to me until I thought it through - my gait changed as my recovery progressed, my old shoes were "burned in" with the old gait and I was actually fighting against those tiny adjustments.

Let us know your TKR date and which knee was done so that we can create your signature.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

FAQs about knee replacement recovery

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access to these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Closure

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

Thanks so much @hawk2go. I am going to take your recommendation and discuss the new and increased pain in my left knee with the PT. I had the TKR on my right knee. The surgery was November 22nd - 10 weeks ago.

No need to do anything that will cause your other knee to hurt. We have members who don’t to any formal PT and they heal just fine and have great outcomes.

Regaining our ROM does not require forceful bending or painful exercises.
Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

I am concerned that I am going to damage my "good knee" in PT. I go to PT 3x a week.
My old knee started hurting much worse after my TKR. It was because I was putting most of my weight on it, and it was doing most of the work. As my TKR healed, my old knee got better. Now, it's not too bad at all. Hopefully, yours will be OK as you use the new knee more.

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
How is your left knee doing these days? With any luck better than a few weeks ago.
I hope you're doing well overall and enjoying steady progress.
Take care!
@Suzanna

I am in week 10 of TKR surgery recovery. I started to notice that I am experiencing knee pain in my "good knee." I am concerned that I am going to damage my "good knee" in PT. I go to PT 3x a week.
It is now 6 1/2 months. The issue with my right knee experiencing pain in PT was resolved. I spoke with my PT's and they were very helpful in updating my plan. I went for three full months 3X a week and I worked with a wonderful group of people. I am still experiencing challenges with stairs - very stiff and awkward. But that is probably my fault because I don't practice on my stairs like I should. But I am working on it. I bike, swim, and as of today I took my first neighborhood walk.

This is my question - I decided to tape both knees today before I began my walk. And it felt really good. Is this a good idea or a bad idea?

I don't know anything about taping. This is something you can ask your PT or doctor.

I decided to tape both knees today before I began my walk.
What made you decide to tape? Are you having pain? Is it something you PT suggested?

@benne68 thank you for asking. I have never felt that my knee is "secure." It always seems to be insecure when I move my knee. It's as if it is loose. So I wore the tape for over a week and it just felt more secure.

You are not even a year out, just a little over halfway through this recovery. If using tape to help you works then go for it! As you heal your knee will get stronger.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie