Pre assessment

Mumof4

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi I was just wondering if someone could maybe give me a little bit of advice I'm 33 a mum of 4 and have suffered with left hip problem all my life perthes wich is now osteoarthritis, I've been waiting a very long time to be referred for a hip replacement. I've had my pre op today I was just wanting yo know roughly how long it will be till I get a date for the operation I'm in so much pain and can't cope anymore. I am really struggling and hoping I won't after wait much longer now I've had the pre op. Would you say it would be soon as I get the picture pre op must mean op is soon. Thank you in advance

@Mumof4 Welcome to BoneSmart! It is hard to predict when your surgery will be schedule but I would guess if you've just had your pre op exam that it should not be too much longer before they get you into surgery. In most places the pre op exam is done with in 2-3 week prior to surgery as the surgeons want to be sure you are in good health. The waiting really is a major annoyance! And I am sure your poor hip is telling you in no uncertain terms it is time to get this done. Best of luck to yu and do let us know when your surgery is schedule. and feel free to ask any questions you may have ... and read any threads here and over in the hip recovery section.

I am going to leave you both our pre op list of articles and suggestions AND our post op list too so that you can get a comprehensive idea of what to expect following the surgery. A busy Mum of 4 needs to know these things.

Hip: pre-surgery considerations

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads in stories of amazing hip recoveries

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:

rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT

a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

The Recovery articles:

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice

Thank you so much. I did ask at the pre op but they had no idea. I phoned the waiting list and he told me the pre op is no indication that the operation will be scheduled soon. I feel really disheartened as I really thought the pre op meant it would be soon. But I need to be patient I imagine I'm not the only one frustrated. Thank you for all the information I will read through it all now. I really appreciate it. This forum is fab

I phoned the waiting list and he told me the pre op is no indication that the operation will be scheduled soon.
On the contrary - any test results are only valid for 3 months - at least this was the case when I had my RTHR. Are you on the list to be called in case there is a cancellation?

FYI - I ended up calling the wait list area once per week until I finally got my surgery date.

I'm not sure If I am for any cancellations it would be nice if I were though. Would I need to call them and ask for this or is that down to them sorry I'm just new to all this. Im struggling so much my poor kids having to put up with a moody mummy lol. I feel like I've been waiting forever

I would phone your surgeon's office and ask to be put on the cancellation list. So sorry you need surgery when the NHS is in such a bad state! Hang in there - at least having had the pre-assessment confirms you will indeed get a date. Finger crossed it happens soon.

Thank you for your kind words I really appreciate it. I will try get on the cancellation list. Fingers crossed it will be soon. Thank you

Some how some way I got a cancelation date while in my Drs Office….. if I can knock out all the prescreening and get the all clear…. My date is set for Feb 9, 2023
Hi can I ask how lomg you've been waiting on cancellation list? I've been asked to be put on it today I'm so desperate

@Mumof4
I‘ve moved your post above out of the Monthly team thread as we reserve that thread for surgery date information, and so members can see who else has surgery the same month. We prefer all other comments and discussion to take place in a pre op or recovery thread, such as this one. Enjoy interacting with others who are on the same journey, here in this thread. :flwrysmile:

I do hope you get a date soon. :console2:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom