THR Got back on the horse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, welcome to BoneSmart! It sounds like your recovery has been incredible thus far. Congrats!

I put a lot of work into my recovery more only ice/rest/walk. Almost all of it is accessible to everyone.
Many of the things that happened with me are not unusual.
I think one of the points Layla is trying to make is that there is a lot about recovery, particularly from a joint replacement, that is out of our control. It’s easy to forget that when everything is going well. But there are plenty of people who may have the best work ethic, the most positive attitude, and do all the right things and still experience a slow and/or difficult recovery. While all those things are ‘accessible to everyone’, a fast and easy recovery is not.

Your recovery so far has been exceptional…enjoy it! And be sure to keep us updated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Strain Counter Strain and Trigger Point Therapy are not the same thing. There is information online about the differences, if you are interested in learning more.
The videos from gadibody are free
Since most of us don't have easy access to someone trained in Strain Counterstrain, the book is a way to get more information and learn techniques, if interested.

I realize they are variations of the same idea....that there are points on the body where pressure can be applied to achieve muscle release and lessen pain levels. You can find both chiropractors and therapists who use these techniques successfully on their patients. I wouldn't advise someone who is in pain to try and follow the instructions in any "how to" book, though. Any of these therapy methods will work much better if you see someone who can do the hands on procedure and hit the exact spot. There is a reason these people are trained in this....more than just reading a book. However, the book and videos as well as the gadibody website provide a lot of good information and it should not be harmful to anyone to try any of the suggestions.

Last edited:
@JusticeRider
Not everyone is going to have a great recovery.
All of us can do things to improve our recovery. I'd LOVE to learn about what other people tried and how successful it was.

For example, at a doctor's appointment a few months before surgery, not anything related to the hip, the doc said "make sure you get gradient compression stockings and wear them". I've never seen any suggestion to buy teds some beforehand.
- Thank you doctor!! WOW! the ones they put on during surgery were horribly uncomfortable!! And I don't think they are gradient compression which reduces swelling.

I'd LOVE to learn about what other people tried and how successful it was.
In that case, you have come to the right place! That’s exactly what BoneSmart is all about :)

Gradient compression stockings and TED hose are not the same thing. But it is important to have any gradient compression stockings properly fitted by a knowledgeable company. BoneSmart recommends Ames Walker (the company who sells Lounge Doctor), as they have been in this business for over 20 years and have dedicated staff to ensure you get the best hose for your needs. They can be quite helpful even for people who have not had a joint replaced, but experience swelling in the lower limbs.

I am very glad you are recovering the way you are. Sharing your experience will no doubt give others ideas on how they might recover.

I do feel you are missing one important point. All of the things you have done for your recovery have worked for YOU. Someone else may try PT and dislocate their hip doing exactly what you did.

All of our bodies are completely different. After two hip replacements in the past 4 months, I’ve felt nothing but positivity here. For some reason I read your posts and it feels like you are saying there is a right way to recover from this.

If there was a RIGHT way, all doctors would tell us the same thing.

I love hearing your recovery, but I wish you would tell it more like ‘this is what worked for me’ instead of ‘this is what you need to do’.

Wishing you the best.

My only other comment would be that mine wasn't planned so I didn't have the luxury of preparing my body for surgery. I was/am a very active senior, walking 3 miles per day and walking rescue dogs each AM, also working as a server in a very hectic chaotic restaurant so my body was used to exercise and movement. Certainly wasn't out of shape actually at my lowest weight in about 5 years.
But then one little snow covered patch of ice did me in.
Now close to one year post op I'm 99% back to normal but still have days with stiffness. And days I need to take a break and lay down for an hour. I don't baby myself but I do listen to my body. The advice and information I've received here for me has been priceless.
We all recover in our own way doing whatever means work for us.
Your recovery has been remarkable and I hope you continue on this very successful path!

I can only speak for my own PT experience/needs, we are all totally different in what we need. The one time in my life I will totally agree PT was absolutely necessary & beneficial was a severely fractured ankle from a softball injury. 3 months in a cast & 4+ months intense PT. Could never have fully rehabilitated any other way. AND I had the best therapist I've ever seen.
Had a knee replacement. They say you will never get full range of motion or fully recover without PT. Well, I didn't have PT because of other joint problems & my knee is as good, and in some cases, better than everyone I know who've had knee replacement with months of PT. We're all different, but there's that for my experience.
My left hip was replaced 3 months ago. Had minimal pain after surgery. Nothing like the knee. I didn't ice much because it was too much of a struggle keeping the bag in the right place but I had very little swelling & no bruising so it really didn't matter. The hip healed wonderfully. My therapist manually stretches my hip every visit and always remarks he can't get over the mobility I have in that hip. (Knock on wood) The only weakness I have that I believe is a result of surgery is an ache I get from the left side of my back just above the buttock area down to my left thigh. I get that whenever I exercise. Other than that, the only reason I'm in PT is that I've been using crutches for over two years and still am. My legs are extremely weak from that and I'm building them up....and losing weight.
If it wasn't for my legs, my hip would need no PT at all. Walking, swimming & bike riding would be all the PT I'd need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties